ADSL router choice

ADSL router choice a friend went into DSE to get a wireless router today and was told that Telecom didn't support the cheap ones on their network. I had suggested they get a $69 DSE one, or a Linksys ADSL2+ one (on special for $119). They sold her a $170 D-Link. Anyone know for sure if DSE advice was correct?

geek_r.g.nixon, Sep 20, 12:36 pm

Telecom now use now use Thomson wireless modems e.g. TG 585 because they give less problems than the D-link product

geek_biggal, Sep 20, 12:51 pm

Tc only support the equipment they supply, so partially correct

geek_kevin16, Sep 20, 12:53 pm

I guess the biggest mistakeis buying from DSE. As you pay way too high prices - and ofter get sold something that others would NOT recommend.

geek_flick13, Sep 20, 12:55 pm

Not exectly true Just bought the $119 Linksys from DSE last week, had a wee problem, called 123 and Telecom provided *surprisingly* good support - problem resolved within 5 minutes.

geek_mpfc, Sep 20, 2:07 pm

Which model dlink was it o.O

geek_chapadao, Sep 20, 2:13 pm

Did you buy a router (access point) or an adsl modem ?.......I got an asus router (accesspoint) for $119 (saw em only $75 on pricespy afterwards grrrrrr) and plugged my d-link modem supplied by telecom for free into it....all working very well.....at little cost......

geek_drcspy, Sep 20, 2:31 pm

D-Link 604T I call it an ADSL router. Has 4 spare ethernet ports, plus 801.g wireless for their laptops. Never heard of ADSL modems, is that a misnomer? Modem means modulate-demodulate the data onto a sound wave (i.e. dial-up only).

geek_r.g.nixon, Sep 20, 3:19 pm

in a nutshell. the modem gets you the internet and the router allows you to distribute it on the LAN.

geek_kingzzz, Sep 20, 3:29 pm

FFS dont be pedantic....it's generally accepted that a router that also functions with adsl connectivity is often referred to as an adsl modem.....yeh sure we all know thats not accurate but it's something most 'average' people understand.......

geek_drcspy, Sep 20, 3:34 pm

Lol I mean ........

geek_drcspy, Sep 20, 3:35 pm

All devices on telecoms network prettymuch are routers, there are a small few that do PPPoA to PPPoE relay, so have no concept of IP addressing on them so serve as a modem, but sadly with the need to have the PPP terminate on the adsl "device" it means that you are at the mercy of undersized NAT tables and shoddy SPI firewalling nomatter what the device calls itself.

With unbundling I was hoping that some of the other ISPs would start to offer bridged connections since I am yet to find a router that gets the connection onto the connected PC as well as the old nokia M1122 did.

geek_richms, Sep 21, 6:41 pm

And the adsl signal is still modulated, just onto many many carriers vs the one that a dialup modem makes, so the name is fully correct.

geek_richms, Sep 21, 6:44 pm

@#8 I've also heard that "modem" is a misnomer, but I'm not convinced. To modulate is "the process of varying one or more properties of a high-frequency periodic waveform", that waveform isn't necessarily restricted to audio frequencies. The way ADSL differs from "dial up" traditional 56k modems is the old ones could only modulate at 4000 hertz which is between the human hearing frequency of 20 to 20,000 hertz, whereas ADSL modems modulate over multiple frequencies, extending to well in excess of 20Khz. Although on a different frequency, it is as I understand still modulated and demodulated.

geek_matt, Jul 10, 8:28 pm