If I have a 6 year old 40GB, 256MB SD Ram

If I have a 6 year old 40GB, 256MB SD Ram HP computer is it worth getting fixed/upgraded? I just bought a new computer as the old one came up with a black screen and error message asking did I want to start in safe mode, last known good configuration etc. but wouldn't go any further. Just wanted to know if I could fix it for the kids? Thanks

geek_andrea1978, Mar 8, 9:20 am

Do you have the CDS for it just reinstall XP

geek_jancemord, Mar 8, 9:22 am

See if you can use the restore cd if not it is POSSIBLY a hardware problem. Worth having a clued up mate having a look at it but not worth spending much money on.

geek_illusion_, Mar 8, 9:24 am

It didn't come with XP Cd when I bought it Just like the new one I got didn't come with vista. Should they?

geek_andrea1978, Mar 8, 9:25 am

Illusion what's a restore CD? .

geek_andrea1978, Mar 8, 9:26 am

If it's a compaq/hp/ or a branded computer many come with the recovery system built into the harddrive on a 'hidden' partition.......what's the make of the pc ?

geek_drcspy, Mar 8, 9:41 am

If you carefully look at post 1 the first 2 letters of the second line gives you a broad hint. :D

geek_pheonix, Mar 8, 10:20 am

So how would I restore it then if it is hidden? ?

geek_andrea1978, Mar 8, 7:49 pm

If it didn't come with disks then try Pressinf F10 or F12 and see if it boots into a recovery mode

geek_swivel, Mar 8, 7:52 pm

Heh think its actualy F11 on those. It should say down the bottom when it first boots up with the HP screen.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Mar 8, 8:40 pm

F10 for an HP F12 for a compaq, F11 allows you to change the boot order without accessing the rest of the cmos

geek_pcmaster, Mar 8, 8:41 pm

Pyro_sniper2002 could be, But in bois the show F keys maybe turned off. then they wont show

geek_swivel, Mar 8, 8:43 pm

F10 is bios on HPs of today anyway, I can tell you this because im currently imaging 94 of them, and each one needs named in the bios....fun times.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Mar 8, 10:21 pm

I have sth identical to what you have but oringinal specs was 20gb, 256mb ram and 1.8Ghz Pentium 4-m. I stopped using my restore cds, just put in a windows cd (pirated) to reformat. Only upgrade I did was with the ram..

geek_deus701, Mar 8, 10:37 pm

Mine would be 6 years as well and the hdd has been running for 23672 hours. I think its be good basic comp for kids to do their work and surf the net.

geek_deus701, Mar 8, 10:39 pm