16gb SD memory cards help required

16gb SD memory cards help required hey i have a nikon D50 and was wondering if anyone know if it is pos to get a 16GB SD card for them,or are there only 16GB SDHC being made

geek_kiwi-image, Oct 23, 8:39 pm

Http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_12920.html

geek_woogmo, Oct 23, 8:48 pm

Oh i see no, only sdhc as far as I can tell

geek_woogmo, Oct 23, 8:49 pm

Wikipedia says sd range from 8mb to 4gb

geek_woogmo, Oct 23, 8:52 pm

Hey cheers woogmo thats a shame, im off traveling next year and 16gb would be great in the camera

geek_kiwi-image, Oct 23, 8:56 pm

That maybe the range of sizes for the cards but what is the max size the camera will accept, not uncommon to find they will not work with larger than 4gb cards, also while travelling here a story to hear and maybe learn from - picked up an irish lad while at the local police station, he was reporting his gear stolen, among the gear was his camera. complete with 8gb card containing every shot he had taken on his 3 months in NZ, he was on his way to PN to catch a plane to begin his return journey - every snap taken was lost - his comment would have been better to have several smaller cards and to have posted them home at intervals, one error and the lot was gone

geek_skin1235, Oct 23, 9:13 pm

A quick google...reveals that your D50 will only work with max 2GB SD cards. There are many internet petitions started up to try to get Nikon to upgrade the firmware to accept newer (bigger) cardsbut for now apparently even if you use a larger card, 2GB is all it will see. Something to do with the FAT16 format. See http://tinyurl.com/6b3up2

geek_peg228, Oct 24, 12:45 am

HEY CHEERS ALL LOOKS LIKE 2GB IS THE MAX FOR A D50, I HAVE A FEW CARDS AND A DIGIMATE PHOTO BANK FOR BACKUP

geek_kiwi-image, Oct 24, 10:45 am

Same story if your gear gets nicked you lose the lot. As well as that you could make backups on dvd and send them back home

geek_woogmo, Oct 24, 1:29 pm