Noise Margin on ADSL line

Noise Margin on ADSL line What is an acceptable range?

geek_charles.j, Nov 11, 10:57 am

I keep mine down to between 6-8db. Using DMT tools

geek_willz29, Nov 11, 12:39 pm

hmmmmine is 13.5 dB not good i take it?

geek_charles.j, Nov 11, 1:55 pm

Mine is 12 up and 13 down, and I'm only 2 blocks from the exchange.

geek_poohy99, Nov 11, 5:19 pm

If you can lower it you can increase your sync http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/294630/?s= Worked well for me

geek_willz29, Nov 11, 5:32 pm

Weird I always though higher was better. which is it? Ours is 15dB/12dB at the moment.

geek_little_egypt, Nov 11, 6:04 pm

From Gameplanet broadband FAQ SN Margin-(AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)--
This is the relative strength of the DSL signal to noise ratio - the higher the number the better for this measurement. 6dB is generally the lowest dB manufacturers specify in order for the modem to be able to sync. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. Generally speaking, as overall bandwidth increases, your signal to noise ratio decreases.* 6dB or below is bad and will experience no sync or intermittent sync problems * 7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions * 11dB-20dB is good with little or no sync problems (but see note below)* 20db or above is bad, this occurs when the end-user is too close to the phone exchange. If this occurs the user may end up with a lot of DSL connections. To reduce this we can place the user on a low noise profile, which does sometimes resolve the issue.

geek_julieandcasper, Nov 11, 6:45 pm

ContNote: there may be short term bursts of noise on your line that may drop the margin, but due to the sampling time of the management utility in your modem/router, will not show up in the figures.-Line Attenuation--This is a measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and your modem/router, and is largely a function of the distance from the exchange (bigger distances mean higher attenuation). Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.
* 20dB and below is outstanding * 20dB-30dB is excellent * 30dB-40dB is very good * 40dB-50dB is good
* 50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues * 60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues
Note: From a user perspective, there very little you can do to change the line attenuation of your current connection.

geek_julieandcasper, Nov 11, 6:45 pm

My own are: Line Attenuation down:8.0 db up:5.0 db Noise Margin down: 23.8 db up: 15.0 db Or very, very good. :) Pity I can't get ADSL 2+ or I'd be flying. :P

geek_julieandcasper, Nov 11, 6:49 pm

hmmi live 1.5k away from the exchange and my speeds are crap :s

geek_charles.j, Nov 11, 6:50 pm

Supply your attenuation figures. .

geek_spyware, Nov 11, 10:53 pm

10 up and 7 down for me @ 2 blocks .

geek_poohy99, Nov 12, 8:09 am

was reading in a computer mag recently that some adsl filters are not compatible with adsl2+, problem is there isn't much information out there to work out which ones are better.

geek_pcgeek, Nov 12, 8:38 am

Mine D/S Attentuation: 3 , U/S Attentuation: 3 , D/S Margin: 20 , U/S Margin: 12, 200m from exchange

geek_shrapz, Nov 12, 8:43 am