Word 2007

Word 2007 Any way to password protect a document as one can in Excell? And how please!! TIA

geek_daisybug, Dec 12, 1:24 pm

Yes - in the Save As dialogue box go into the Tools, Security option (actually I'm looking at Word 2003 and I apologise if there is any error).

geek_gyrogearloose, Dec 12, 1:44 pm

And I'm fairly sure Microsoft beefed up the encryption several versions ago. You used to be able to purchase a download utility that would readily crack Office passwords - but I'm thinking Word '98 era.

geek_gyrogearloose, Dec 12, 1:46 pm

Office document passwords are easy to bypass, you merely open said file in notepad or wordpad, text gets a bit scrambled and loses formatting but is still readable.

geek_pcmaster, Dec 12, 1:51 pm

Thanks pc master I'll name it something inconspicious - found to put password - Office dropdown circle (not sure if that is what they call the balloon?!) go to "prepare document" - then "encrypt document". Hope this works - too much snooping going on on my homePC!.

geek_daisybug, Dec 12, 1:55 pm

Try if for yourself In the Save As, Tools, Security dialogue box, click Advanced and change the encryption type from Office97/2000 compatible to any of the RC4 options. Then save the document. Go to Windows explorer, make a copy of the file and change the file extension to *.txt - then open the file. If ANYONE can deduce the password from what you see in front of you, I'll forfeit my turn.

geek_gyrogearloose, Dec 12, 2:01 pm

Sorry - not just deduce the password but recognise any of the content of the document. I disagree with "text gets a bit scrambled and loses formatting but is still readable" - I reckon you can't read anything in the current versions of Office.

geek_gyrogearloose, Dec 12, 2:04 pm