I have a ps2 mouse and need a usb adapter for it

I have a ps2 mouse and need a usb adapter for it to plug into laptop. What are these things called please?

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 6:59 pm

Laptop doesn't have a ps/2 connection? ...

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:01 pm

No, the optical mouse is ps2 I got the wrong type do I now need to get an adapter to plug into laptop.

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:08 pm

I dont think you can get a ps2 to usb adaptor. You can get usb to ps2 but not the other way around as far as i know. If the laptop doesnt have a ps2 connection then you will need to get a usb mouse (provided laptop has usb ports)

geek_shrapz, Mar 29, 7:10 pm

I think it's the other way round sharpz i've got a few PS2 - USB adapters here, not that they ever work.

geek_kane199, Mar 29, 7:11 pm

You could try one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables/USB/auction-146836713.htm<br />

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:13 pm

Hi, yes my laptop has usb ports I'll have to return it then, I suppose.

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:13 pm

Yeah I've seen ps/2 to usb adaptors... never seen a laptop that doesn't have ps/2 ports tho..but I suppose I've not seen many laptops...

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:15 pm

Guess they make both then never seen the ps2 to usb ones. Mind you for that price you could buy a usb optical

geek_shrapz, Mar 29, 7:16 pm

Just return the mouse... what's the laptop make/model?

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:18 pm

I think thats what I need soodanim but with just one ps2 end. Incidently, I would never buy from that trader (hope I'm not stepping on any toes here)

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:18 pm

Up to you... dealt with them heaps and they are fine,

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:19 pm

Toshiba satellite 1410 Hang on I'll just check it again for a PS2 jack.

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:20 pm

Yeah he's fine... most of the time.

geek_kane199, Mar 29, 7:21 pm

Could try this... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables/USB/photos/a-147520124/p-58288362.htm<br />

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:21 pm

But at those prices yeah either just buy a new mouse or see if you can return the other one.

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:24 pm

I thought I could get a littler thing than that for a couple of dollars.

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:24 pm

Most of the time those types of adaptors are included with a mouse or keyboard...people either use them or throw them in a draw somewhere..I can't remember where all mine are gone.

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:26 pm

I think I will return it! If I still have everybodies attention, what causes a single vertical line down the centre of a lcd screen on windows xp after start up. I have nvidia graphics software and when that was disabled it disappeared soon after.

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:29 pm

Wrong drivers? have you updated to the latest from the site? Vista?

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:31 pm

Those little adaptors are passive, all they do is adapt the pins and signals around, active ones however have special electronics in it that actually changes the signals properly and hence the expense.

geek_pc_nut, Mar 29, 7:32 pm

No, but I have restore disks that came with the laptop. Is it possible that the screen is failing?

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:32 pm

It has xp loaded .

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:34 pm

Ok... www.nvidia.com get the lastest....

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:35 pm

Ok, I don't even know why I mentioned the restore disks. I will go and see about those drivers then. Thanks guys.

geek_cherise11, Mar 29, 7:36 pm

And not forgetting the girls! lol no worries....didn't help much

geek_soodanim, Mar 29, 7:37 pm

Ffs......just buy another usb mouse they're very cheap

geek_drcspy, Mar 29, 8:30 pm