Iphone 3G Page 1 / 2

osymandias, Jan 1, 3:47am
Unlock is being release in about 3 hours. There's some indication that it'll work with latest baseband. Doesn't affect NZ phones as our 3Gs are all unlocked, but fyi. http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

badboy12345, Dec 30, 3:10am
Iphone 3G Could I buy one of these from the US and use it here? Also have they included MMS on them yet? Thanks in advance :)

dunedin_ree, Dec 30, 3:12am
I believe you'd have to unlock it for use on NZ's network (with vodafone), and I *think* you still need to buy an "iPhone" data plan in order to use data. If the ones in the US are the same as the ones you buy in NZ, no, there's no MMS. Maybe wait till after the January Apple announcements.

badboy12345, Dec 30, 3:13am
OkThanks for that dunedin_ree!

kingpin, Dec 30, 3:14am
I dont think the AT&T ones would accept a GSM sim card...

kingpin, Dec 30, 3:16am
And I'm pretty sure you dont need to sign up to the "iPhone" specific plans. You can get a mobile broadband plan for $80/month (6GB) I believe, and combine it with whatever voice plans you want.

dunedin_ree, Dec 30, 3:20am
Good point you have to have a data plan, either 200MB or 1GB. They're not known as "iPhone" plans anymore. And correct me if I'm wrong, but don't ALL 3G iPhones have GSM SIM card slots?

ammcats, Dec 30, 3:38am
Right now you cannot connect it to the New Zealand network, a unlocking software should be out within the next few days though, As for plans, you can connect it to anything you like, i get 250mb data, 20min calling, 100 text, for $40 a month, which is fine for me, make the odd phone call, send a few text, and plenety of data to check emails and troll the web from work, Unless you are on the web 8 hours a day, its pretty hard to use up 250mb, http://www.iclarified.com for more info

ammcats, Dec 30, 3:39am
keep in mind, nano iphones will prob be out soon dropping the price of the iphone unite more,

stefanie5, Dec 30, 5:34am
Lol at nano iphones you mean the cheap Chinese knock off nano iphones?

ammcats, Dec 30, 5:36am
No, yes their are cheap knock-offs out their of the supposed "Nano iPhone" but there are millions of cheap knock-offs of almost everything coming out of china.

kingpin, Dec 30, 6:00am
As far as I know, the iPhone was released by AT&T in the USA, and they had a similar network to Telecom's CDMA network (not GSM). Also I don't think that you specifically require a 200MB or 1GB data plan as you say, but can get any of their mobile broadband plans

ammcats, Dec 30, 6:02am
Telecom will have iPhones in June/Julywhich should push data prices right downwith a bit of healthy competition

kingpin, Dec 30, 6:07am
Has this been announced by Telecom? I havent heard it

ammcats, Dec 30, 6:14am
Yea it has, i thought this was common knowledge?

kingpin, Dec 30, 6:17am
Can you direct me towards a telecom webpage, press release or similar.. Thanks

dunedin_ree, Dec 30, 6:18am
The vodafone website confuses the hell outta me. I have a corporate plan, which means I can only choose between 200MB and 1GB, but yep, there are other plans. Sorry for the misdirection.

ammcats, Dec 30, 6:23am
Sure Not going to dig to deep into it, http://www.stuff.co.nz/4449431a28.html "Telecom has hinted that its new $300 million mobile phone network may be the first in New Zealand to support Apple's iPhone" Clearly that was not the case as the network has taken longer than telecom planned,

badboy12345, Dec 30, 6:26am
Is it worth waiting till telecom bring out the iPhone on their network to drive down the price here or as soon as the unlocking software is released? It seems a whole lot cheaper in the US.

ammcats, Dec 30, 6:31am
I personally wouldn't import one, would just rather have the warranty to be honestWaiting on telecomWell they have pushed their release date back at least twice now, they may or may not do it again?

richms, Dec 30, 6:32am
telecoms will have 850MHz so no dropping back to GSM all the time like people on vodafone have to sufferAnd there is no UMTS only option on the iPhone like most other phones so you cant stop it happening when there is a GSM network from the same provider.

kingpin, Dec 30, 6:32am
Im pretty skeptical, that link is from March. There should be some kind of press release if it is true, as there was a lot of speculation

ammcats, Dec 30, 6:34am
Richms With a jailbroken iphone (Jailbroken and unlocked are two diffrent things), from Cydia you can download software to stop that happening, I only had connection issues for the first few days when they were released, then a hotfix sorted all the issues

richms, Dec 30, 7:47am
I shouldnt have to resort to jailbraking a device, possibly violating warrantys etc to have it work properly. N95 on UMTS only works fine here, mates iphone constantly falls back to GSM/GPRS when using it.

badboy12345, Dec 30, 9:18am
So actually I could buy a Iphone from the US and hack it to work on the vodafone network but it would void my warranty?

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)