where / how do I update video driver?

Where / how do I update video driver I am havign problems getting windows media player 11 to play the video on DVD (plays audio only) and also my DVD convertor stalls. Apparantly I may need to update driver but not sure how to go about this. TIA.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:25 pm

"apparently"? who or what said so? can you play video files [not dvds]? test your video 'properties' with "DXDIAG" run - dxdiag - enter

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:27 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add that I can play any video files that are stored on my computer. Just not any DVDs that I insert into drivebut the same DVDs play fine on another programm.. cyberlink PowerDVD.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:31 pm

The "apparantly" is becuase I initially contatced a cucsoft support staff for DVD conveto that wasn't working. They asked for videolog file and thenm came back and asked if windowsmeia player is workign and to update video driver.. Well I ahve just spent the whole morning (Hours and hours) tryign to get the media player to work and still nothing.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:33 pm

I have made sure all codecs are up to date and downloaded automatically. I have been through all the trioublshooting guides I could find. I have updated direct from windows update site , that installed XP SP 3 even though IO already had it. And I applied a hotfix that is supposed to resolve nero incompatability as Nero came with our DVD drive when it was installed but I've never used it. I've run out of ideas to fix the media playerso now will try and get the video driver updatedbut HOW?

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:36 pm

your problem is WMP then, not your video drivers.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:38 pm

Ok thanks, not sure what to do next then. I tried running that DXDIAG and no problems were found.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:41 pm

you could try a codec pack [ http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm ] is a good one.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:43 pm

What I'm really trying to fix is the cucusoft DVD to iPod convertor. the error I keep getting is "DVD2x exception in encodeDlg!" before it shuts itself down. and yes I did google and downloaded a third party codec package which stopped the media player working all togtehr, removed them and it came right again. I paid US$ for the cucusoft as I'm a bit weary of the free ones.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:46 pm

Can I downlaod that pack at to an easy location to delete again afterwards if it causes problems??

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:53 pm

run ccleaner to kill any left overs, restart your computer too. k-lite is a good one.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:53 pm

yes, k-lite can be removed easily if you want to. follow the other steps first though.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:54 pm

Yep I've got CC cleaner so will do that now and try the klite after that.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:54 pm

Thanks for help so far the cucusoft DVD convertor was a Chrissie pressie for hubby so I want to get it going. CHanging things on Computers scare him so it's up to me! So nice to have someone helpful (and not calling me an idiot lol)

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 2:56 pm

run ccleaner, restart your computer.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:57 pm

The pack downloaded fine but unfortunately didn't help me.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 4:15 pm

You downloaded then INSTALLED it ? .

geek_drcspy, Jan 1, 4:28 pm

Lol - yes! &0;&0;&0;

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 9:58 pm

did you try the media player that is shipped/bundled with the codec pack? "MPC" it's called.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 10:07 pm

Is that the media player classic? I actually can play DVDs on powerDVD no problem .. but I'm thinking that if I can get the media P 11 workign ok, then whatever the problem in the DVD conveertor is, will come right too..

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 10:12 pm

My media stopped working and I couldn't even play a CD. It was because the Vista had used all the memory on my laptop and so media shut down. I had extra ram installed and the problem was solved. Maybe this is happening to you?

geek_kiwimade64, Jan 1, 10:13 pm

I'm on XP and plenty of memory mediaplayer can play everythign else except the DVDsjust plays the DVD audio tracks and the video is either black or green flickering.

geek_maverick65, Jan 1, 11:55 pm