Online but can't get into websites

Online but can't get into websites Hi therewe've got three laptops happily running off wireless broadband, and one belonging to my father which can get online, but can't open most websites (except google and gmail). The wireless went down for a few days and he fiddled with his settings (he thought it was his computer)now we're up again and he can't get into his usual websites. Any ideas? (he's using IE7 on a PC with XP)

geek_gerty, Jan 1, 10:19 pm

Maybe he can use the windows rollback thing but don't ask me to explain as I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

geek_bit, Jan 1, 10:29 pm

Hahahaha bit, thanks! I have no idea either.

geek_gerty, Jan 1, 10:31 pm

Download, install and run ccleaner

geek_gazzanova69, Jan 1, 10:39 pm

Have you checked that any antivirus is not blocking certain sites and it might pay to check in the browser itself if any are blocked. You could also check the hosts file to ensure they are not blocked either

geek_wholesaler, Jan 1, 10:39 pm

I'd bin IE7 and download Firefox.

geek_pixma, Jan 1, 10:40 pm

Copy and pasting from win help Feature: System Restore
When to use it: When you suspect that any of the following changes have been made:
System or application settings have been changed. This includes changes made through property sheets and changes made to the registry.
Applications have been installed, updated, or removed.
Files other than data files have been added or deleted.

geek_bit, Jan 1, 10:42 pm

System Restore overview System Restore is a component of Windows XP Professional that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.

geek_bit, Jan 1, 10:44 pm

Click Start then 'Help And Support' Then do a search for 'System restore' you can actually run system restore from there by clicking 'Run the System Restore Wizard'.
It may or may not solve your problem. Reinstalling the browser or installing a different browser may work too.

geek_bit, Jan 1, 10:51 pm

Share this thread