Can I get a virus if...

Can I get a virus ifI use XP with a limited account, install applications only downloaded from places such as download.com (probably only 20 a year), and set my Windows updates to download automatically? How likely am I to get a virus?

geek_electro64, Jan 2, 11:36 am

If you have no antivirus or firewall up then you prob are already infected ;-)

geek_sakkara, Jan 2, 11:47 am

So what method would a virus take to infect my PC? ??? Given that I don't get attachments on emails.

geek_electro64, Jan 2, 11:49 am

Drive by,web pages that have been compromised,..

geek_kevin16, Jan 2, 11:51 am

Did you use a condom .

geek_mone, Jan 2, 11:51 am

Ie explorer is like a condom full of holes....

geek_intrade, Jan 2, 12:03 pm

Quite honestly if you have no idea how a virus can infect your PC then you prob should not be on the net please tell me you dont do internet banking from your PC

geek_sakkara, Jan 2, 12:09 pm

You can easily get a virus by just plugging in a USB memory stick or Digital Photoframe (some are infected from manufacture).

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 2, 12:13 pm

Running as normal user is a good start, but you can still get viruses and spyware. they'll just run as your user instead of system-wide.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 12:15 pm

So what is more important a firewall or antivirus software?

geek_browsing, Jan 2, 12:58 pm

So what is more important a sword or a shield?

geek_mone, Jan 2, 1:30 pm

Antivirus is more important but without one or the other on windows eventually youll get infected.

geek_seriouslycgi, Jan 2, 1:40 pm

where did you read that where did you read that

geek_thecrazybaker, Jan 2, 2:10 pm

On the web in recent days google "digital photo frames infected" - Samsung did it, probably no others in recent months

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 2, 2:38 pm

And Other consumer gadgets to have been affected by malware in the past include the TomTom satellite navigation device and Apple Video iPods. In 2006, the Japanese subsidiary of McDonald’s recalled 10,000 MP3 players after discovering that they had been infected by a spyware Trojan horse.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 2, 2:41 pm

Bought a new HP computer on Boxing day,in the first 5 minutes Norton got deleted with Norton removel tool,loaded Antivir and started a scan,picked up Trojen Dropper in one of the HP games that was on the comp

geek_ntalke, Jan 2, 2:49 pm

Antivir is very good but you have to expect some false positives. Upload the EXE to virusscan.jotti.org to get more opinions.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 2, 2:57 pm

My nana in law Pays all the employees from their work computer via internet banking, she was telling me the other day how her anti virus keeps popping up saying she has a viruses, she just click's close and continues using it stupid stupid woman

geek_kane199, Jan 2, 3:12 pm

Not necessarily....If that's all does then it's highly unlikely. I run NOD32 and it has never picked anything up. Don't have a problem with spyware, adware, malware, toolbars etc..most infections are due to PEBKAC.

geek_puddleduck00, Jan 2, 3:16 pm

I could quite comfortably run no AV...even while using torrents...it's about reading what you install and not falling for tings like 'You need to install this software to view this page'...

geek_puddleduck00, Jan 2, 3:17 pm

Hey puddleduck what are "tings" ?

geek_sakkara, Jan 2, 7:51 pm

See how easily things slip past unnoticed...

geek_sakkara, Jan 2, 7:52 pm

really?

geek_0800xford, Jan 2, 7:53 pm

Hi ;-) About Me: i mainly listen to death/black/thrash metal & twisted d'n'b/breaks. i currently use Linux: Debian, Ubuntu, and Puppy [ http://is.gd/7I6j ] [ http://is.gd/ar12 ] just in case you can't figure it out these are screenies.
Fav. Quote: [a suggestion is not a recommendation] [only ever speak on your own behalf] [always google before starting a thread] ~ [the disintegration of the persistence of virtual memory] [join the 'no kitty pics in profiles' movement] ~ [answer the question you geek] [are you hungry a speed] [ma puta hav a trogan] [my brain can spell but not my fingers] [I'm not an dork when it come to computers] ~sic

geek_sakkara, Jan 2, 8:00 pm

don't feed the troll.

geek_0800xford, Jan 2, 8:01 pm

makethemove.net

geek_seriouslycgi, Jan 3, 12:03 am

0800xfordWhere are they coming from? This one even knows how to copy and paste and spell check....they're getting more intelligent. I think we need to mix up a batch of n00bicide.

geek_puddleduck00, Jan 3, 12:12 am