Help need, please.

Help need, please. I have a Compaq Presario 5420 Au. 2 hard drives and running XP Home with SP 3. Today I had to do a reboot, because system froze. The BIOS help for a long time and then said non system disk, etc. So I put in a Red hat disk and that booted up fine and this is the first time I've used this system. I then closed it down, again, and rebooted. Same message, So I opened it up and checked all the cables, etc on the mother board. Checked the voltages at the hard drive plus and all good. Put it all back together and still won't boot to hard drives. Please help as this is my life line. I am disabled and stuck at home, most of the time. Thanks.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 3:10 pm

Two hard-drives remove the second (non OS) one.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 2, 3:12 pm

Hi dunedin_ree Thanks for that. Sorry I meant to say in my first that I had tried that. Also removed CD and rebooted, same thing.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 3:14 pm

Hmmmm not really sure, if it's that "busted" I'd lean towards getting your OS disks out and doing a repair install. But first, since you have redhat, do a backup of your important stuff in case the situation gets any worse.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 2, 3:27 pm

I have an older HP laptop but got same message...tested hdd ok...finally removed battery, the battery is old, removed the power adapter cable from laptop power socket and rebooted. Now ok.

geek_olack, Jan 2, 3:28 pm

...um, rebooted after plugging in power cable only ..and no battery.

geek_olack, Jan 2, 3:29 pm

The system froze Then on reboot you got the message "non-system disc" yet the computer boots up on a bootable CD sounds like the master hard drive has developed a fault. Suggest you remove the slave drive and put the master in it's place. Try and boot up. If this doesn't work you got major problems. Q.. Was Red Hat on a CD or a hard drive?

geek_oldman, Jan 2, 3:39 pm

Thanks guys, for your promptness I was gona do what olack suggested. So I shuts down the red hat program. DVD pops out, I removed, and it goes into reboot. Well I have been around computers, since the early nineties, Remember dos 3? I learned UNIX and then went onto PC's. They still fool me sometimes. I'm thinking that olack might be onto something there. When I was shutting red hat down I removed the cover and was about to remove battery and the sodden thing starts up. I don't know, getting too old for this. I think I'll put my Windows 95 on????

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 3:45 pm

Re: oldman I had only downloaded and burnt to Dvd this morning. I was running on the DVD and was great. So fast. Now back in Windows and so slow. I had tried to reload Windows but said it could see my hard drives. Dah, back to bed, I think...

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 3:48 pm

I'm loathe to suggest format&reinstall But you can handle it so I will.Or else a SFC -the easy option.

geek_deodar, Jan 2, 4:07 pm

If Red Hat was even partially installed to the hard drive it would have corrupted the master boot record (tried to change it to the linux format most likely) in which case windows will not be able to "see" the hard drive. If you can read the data on the hard drive by using another operating system (install windows on another drive and make your current drive a slave as a suggestion) I suggest you recover and save all your important data. Having saved your data you could then try to restore the MBR by using fdisk /mbr. (Warning. This might work or could render the drive suitable only for re-formatting and re-installation of software).

geek_oldman, Jan 2, 4:16 pm

Sowhat's on your system drive?

geek_gbbrot, Jan 2, 4:46 pm

Thanks, Old man Man fdisk /mbr takes me back to my old dos days. Didn't know that Xp still had it. Re gbbrot, my system drive is my main drive. I use the other hard drive for documents and back ups only.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 4:50 pm

XP doesn't have fdisk You will have to use a Win98 or even a win95 boot disk.

geek_oldman, Jan 2, 4:52 pm

Yes, I thought XP didn't have Fdisk Re: deodar I run the SFC, took about an hour, I'll see what happens now. I also rechecked the boot.ini and it says hasn't been modified. It is, as follows, any advise on it appreciated. [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Thanks, Ian

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 5:53 pm

Good one Olack Solved that sucker

geek_pcfix4u, Jan 2, 6:00 pm

Anyone help with my boot.ini file. I also rechecked the boot.ini and it says hasn't been modified. It is, as follows, any advise on it appreciated. [boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect Thanks, Ian

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 8:10 pm

Same as mine except Professional instead of Home Edition.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 2, 8:14 pm

Thanks, r.g.nixon So that's not the problem. I don't want to do a reboot incase it stuffs up, again.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 2, 8:17 pm

Another thought It may have been configured in BIOS to boot off the 'second' harddrive. If you lots the BIOS settings it will default to booting of the first hard drive, and if that happens to be not bootable then obviously it's not going to boot that way.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 8:21 pm

Still having problems. Re: little_egypt, it's set to boot to Cd, floppy and then harddrive. Last night and earlier this morning, all is well. Then system froze and I could do nothing. So I had to down power, after doing everything I could think of. Well it comes up and said no hard drives, again. I get into bios and it confirms no harddrives. I again check, remove and replug in the harddrives. Tried un-power the second, back up harddrive, no different. So I had to put the Linux disk back in. At least I can keep in touch. We haven't been down here, long, and was hoping someone in the Papamoa area may be able to help, me, please? Thanks, Ian.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 3, 12:01 pm

Linux livecds are handy aye.. Sounds Like the drive may be on the way out or the Channel/Controller on the mainboard.Hard to say what to do.You need spares for testing otherwise it's a job for a pc person with some spares.

geek_helpless, Jan 3, 12:12 pm

Don't suppose it could be anything as simple as a bad cmos battery causing it to loose settings..May pay to renew that with a spare if you have one or get a new one from a hardware shop or what have you./

geek_helpless, Jan 3, 12:16 pm

Hi helpless Yes I changed the cmos battery. Tested old one and was fine. So made no difference.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 3, 12:20 pm

Ok...well only other thing you could try is changing the cables from the hd/d's out for some others just in case one of them has gone bad..Then it's more or less the pc shop if you have no other bits laying about.

geek_helpless, Jan 3, 12:27 pm

Hi, again, helpless I had a thought, yes I know that gets me in trouble, but I removed my C: drive and rebooted. Said not OS, so I put XP disk in, rebooted and it now sees my back up D: drive and installed windows on it. Problem is, only 6.5 Gb's. So windows fits, just, but I can't put any antivirus on. Now I gota find me a replacement hard drive. ian.

geek_ianalice1, Jan 3, 2:32 pm

Share this thread