What do i use to get Ubuntu on my mac

What do i use to get Ubuntu on my mac and sitll keep mac osx.Vmware is a trail for 30days.But i want somthing free and to keep.Thanks again

geek_hialea, Jan 2, 4:41 pm

If you want to run it native, you'll have to resort to a bit of bootcamp shenanigans. Mepis has an OSX assistant that smooths it out a bit.

geek_osymandias, Jan 2, 4:49 pm

Odam..

geek_hialea, Jan 2, 4:51 pm

It's a bit pointless too you can run linux programmes from OSX.

geek_osymandias, Jan 2, 4:58 pm

BTW, there are plenty of simple how-tos if you want to dual boot, google is your friend. But, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuonMactel

geek_osymandias, Jan 2, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the link osy but i want to see what linux is like try out the interface etc and i might install it on future compters

geek_hialea, Jan 2, 5:11 pm

Use a live CD if you want to "try it out". Do you have an Intel Mac?

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 2, 5:19 pm

Virtualbox is similar to vmware and its free

geek_gazzanova69, Jan 2, 7:55 pm

@8 and slow as hellIf you just want to muck around, it's worth getting VMware or Parallels. Additionally, they will come in handy for those times you have to use windows. If you really can't afford to pay right now, you can get a serial in all the usual places - then buy a legit one when you can.

geek_osymandias, Jan 2, 11:18 pm

No i dont have an intel mac i have an imac g4

geek_hialea, Jan 3, 11:36 am

You need a PPC version of Ubuntu then http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/hardy/release/

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 11:39 am

Https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPC There's a wiki page that might be useful as well.

geek_cybertao, Jan 3, 11:40 am

I just had a wee look and you can install the PowerPC version of Ubuntu on the PS3 or an Xbox360 with a modified drive. Cool.

geek_cybertao, Jan 3, 12:37 pm

Http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/intrepid/ I just checked again, there's a PPC version of Intrepid (8.10) too. Might as well run the more recent version.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 12:43 pm