Computer clock losing time...

Computer clock losing timePlease be kind to me, I've heard it can get quite viscous in here towards non computer people like me! My computer clock is losing about 10 minutes every couple of days. Why would this be? Hubby says it's because I'm a bit slow and the computer has just decided to be kind and go at my pace!

geek_india3, Jan 2, 4:49 pm

Do you shut your computer off at night or leave it on?

geek_browsing, Jan 2, 4:53 pm

Shut it off. .

geek_india3, Jan 2, 4:53 pm

OkWhen a computer clock loses time it is usually a sign of a failing CMOS battery or can be caused by too many background applications running like anti-virus programs and so forth that run all the time your computer is on, when you reboot the computer is the time back to normal?

geek_browsing, Jan 2, 4:56 pm

Yes it is. .

geek_india3, Jan 2, 4:57 pm

Usual cause is a flat or near flat BIOS battery. Contrary to common belief the bios battery is not recharged during use. Generally speaking, a bios battery can be expected to last from 3 to 5 years.

geek_oldman, Jan 2, 4:57 pm

Have had the computer for 6 years, so the battery theory would make sense.

geek_india3, Jan 2, 4:58 pm

Have you synchronized your clock with windows? assuming you are running windows, double click on the clock on the start bar, click on internet time and is the automatically synchronize with internet time server clicked? I am not sure if this will fix the problem but it did fix my computer telling the wrong time.

geek_browsing, Jan 2, 5:00 pm

Change the battery too though You can get them at the warehouse, as well as heaps of other places. When it's running flat is starts of losing a little time. When it gets a bit flatter it forgets all your CMOS settings and you might find the computer won't boot any more.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 6:50 pm

You'll need a CR2032.........cost about $4 very easy to change it.....

geek_drcspy, Jan 2, 7:13 pm