Ubuntu - Best program for saving youtube vids

Ubuntu - Best program for saving youtube vids I have no idea which is the best/easiest to use. Your recommendations appreciated. Ta :-)

geek_onyx, Jan 2, 7:11 pm

I use keepvid.com which gives you an option of downloading it as a mp4, better quality than flv

geek_gazzanova69, Jan 2, 7:58 pm

I have used vdownloader for zonks, it also converts the files to AVI, Mpeg etc. vdownloader.com.es

geek_harrihorse, Jan 2, 9:37 pm

No such address Perhaps you meant www.vdownloader.es ? Having a look at it now. I use downloadhelper, but it keeps them as flv which nobody else ever has the software to view.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 9:48 pm

Well DUH!!! That's for Windows. The original poster wanted a program for Ubuntu. Sure I could run a windows program in wine but it's hardly the best solution is it?

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 9:52 pm

I just downloaded this After doing a google search. Seems to be ideal. I think I'll uninstall downloadhelper now.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8189

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 10:01 pm

Thanks everyone :-)

geek_onyx, Jan 2, 10:24 pm

I use video downloadhelper it works on nearly every site.

geek_seriouslycgi, Jan 2, 11:42 pm

I used to But if you're carrying around flv files you have to carry around the k-lite codec pack as well so you can play them on other people's computers. Converting to msmpeg4/mp3 means they'll play on almost any computer right away.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 9:14 am

Another way that doesn't involve downloading anything...go to your home/name folder press ctrl-h to show hidden files, go to .mozilla folder - firefox - something that will look like ty3u58et2.default - cache...in the cache will be the flv you downloaded from youtube...it's a bit of a roundabout way but it works :o)

geek_sirfer, Jan 3, 10:31 am

Http://www.arrakis.es/~rggi3/youtube-dl/ Or you can use that.Once it's installed you open a Konsole type Youtube http//whatevertheaddyis..just c+p the address from the youtube webpage then push enter..Its downloaded to wherever you fired it up.

'

geek_helpless, Jan 3, 10:58 am

Http://www.mediaconverter.org/ The plugin I mentioned earlier uses mediaconverter.org to do the converting. You can just go to that website and convert them online if you prefer, either directly from youtube or other video sharing sites or by uploading the video yourself.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 11:15 am

Haha, why didn't I think of this first? "apt-cache search youtube", there's clive and youtube-dl in the ubuntu repos already, as well as some perl libraries which would help if you were writing your own.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 11:19 am

Argh lil egypt if your carrying around cd's of flv files then carry around a cd of geexbox, boots up in about 10 seconds in some cases and it plays nearly any media file.

geek_seriouslycgi, Jan 3, 5:39 pm

Or burn vlc on the cd too http://digg.com/software/Portable_VLC_released

geek_seriouslycgi, Jan 3, 5:40 pm

Geexbox looks good will have a play with that.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 6:37 pm