Dead? Hard Drive a quick question.

Dead? Hard Drive a quick question. If a hard drive isn't 'spinning' is it fixable? or is it a take it out and throw it away job? Thanks

geek_mizp, Jan 2, 8:20 pm

how do you know it's not spinning? is it receiving power? and it's almost not worth it unless the data within is highly sensitive or valuable/irreplaceable.

geek_0800xford, Jan 2, 8:22 pm

Fixing such a drive if it's not too damaged could be pretty expensive depending on the damage.....if it's just the controller board you could replace that with a 'known good' one of the same type if you can find one......if it's internal in the drive itself then it'll be SERIOUSLY expensive to fix......

geek_drcspy, Jan 2, 8:22 pm

One thing you can try Set it up on the desk with power and data cables attached. Power up and give it a sharp tap on one corner, this is sometimes enough to get a stuck drive spinning again. The other option some people suggest is to put it in the freezer for a bit then plug it in. If either of those tricks work, get your data backed up to somewhere else ASAP. You probably wont get a second chance.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 2, 8:26 pm

Yep, I though it would be expensive - darn! Thanks for the tips little-egypt - I will try them but as the disk failed while it was in use I'm not holding my breath. Thanks anyway guys.

geek_mizp, Jan 2, 8:30 pm

How are you connecting to the hard drive. Have you tried on another PC???

geek_pcfix4u, Jan 2, 9:39 pm

Hi, yes we have tried it in another computer, it's definitely dead, I just wanted to see if it could be fixed without re mortgaging the house - RIP.

geek_mizp, Jan 2, 10:45 pm

Just a quick update: little_egypt, I tried what you suggested and I did manage to get the drive to spin up again and the computer to see it. Unfortunately the computer believes the disk isn't formatted - but won't allow the format to take place. I guess the disk is actually damaged so I have abandoned all hope! Thank you so much for your help though, I do appreciate it.

geek_mizp, Jan 3, 9:04 pm

It sounds like the master boot record (MBR)is damaged. This is repairable in most cases. Any IT tech should be able to do this.

geek_oldman, Jan 3, 9:07 pm

How would we repair if we can't get it to format? We thought if we could do a 'quick format' it would repair the boot record, but we couldn't get it to work.

geek_mizp, Jan 3, 9:38 pm

'gpart' might figure it out if I were working on it I would use the linux 'dd' tool to image the entire drive while it's still readable, then you can work on copies of the image later, without the pressure of a drive that might stop working at any time.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 9:45 pm