modem

Modem Hi , am looking at modems on trademe, not wireless. Which would be the best brand to buy that would suit any broadband provider ?

geek_wyndra, Jan 3, 2:01 pm

US Robotics are a good brand

geek_gazzanova69, Jan 3, 4:43 pm

First, decide whether you want a modem or router A router gives a second level of protection against trogens etc. Both allow connection to the high speed (broadband) internet. My personal brand preference in Dynalink. As far as an internet provider is concerned I do not repeat not recommend Xtra.

geek_oldman, Jan 3, 5:23 pm

I would avoid Dynalink and get a Linksys they have some great new models out recently

geek_malachiman, Jan 3, 6:52 pm

Only buy these brands us-robotics -3com linksys. never ever bu a "d-link crap modem"

geek_intrade, Jan 3, 7:00 pm

For broadband only buy router/modem 2 in 1 units anything else is a waste of time...

geek_intrade, Jan 3, 7:01 pm

Lol D-link are fine (Don't listen to old one-eye), Also Thomson or 2wire are very good. And yes Get Adsl routers (as alot are routers/hub/switchs which don't have adsl)

geek_swivel, Jan 3, 7:05 pm

D-Link & Dynalink are 2 different brands

geek_lostdude, Jan 3, 7:11 pm

D-Link are crap in my opinion They are so crappy telescum's Xtra is giving them away.

geek_oldman, Jan 3, 7:32 pm

My experience with d-link Had one for about four years, eventually it died (kept disconnecting, etc). Have seen two other newer d-links with the same problem. Got a replacement d-link and it also had the same problem. Wasn't dust causing them to overheat 'cos I opened both up and they were spotless, ran one of them open with a CPU fan blowing on the chips and it was still dropping out. YMMV but I won't be getting another d-link.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 7:46 pm