ubuntu install issue

Ubuntu install issue ok here i go...i am trying too dual boot winxp and ubuntu 8.10 ..all goes intel i get to where you set ya the partitioni have watch a few youtube video and it show that u can drag a bar to get the partition size u want . i cant there is no bar to slide and it says there is no free size on my disk ..any ideas

i have a 80hdd with 38 gigs free

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 3:00 pm

Maybe split the partition using gparted open a terminal and type "sudo gparted" without the quotes

geek_gazzanova69, Jan 3, 3:11 pm

All good i found it thanks for ya help

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 3:17 pm

Ahhh grrr nope didnt get it .. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/images/installinghardyplus11.png like in the pic i dnt have winxp and ubuntu .. it just shows winxp

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 5:07 pm

I think i figgered it when i install windows i told it to take the whole drive .. there for there is now space for ubuntu

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 5:25 pm

Thats why you use gparted to shrink the xp partition http://is.gd/esAq then right click on the empty space and create new partition

geek_gazzanova69, Jan 3, 5:48 pm

Okdid that and it came up with a warning sign saying i have atleast 1 bad sector on my disk hmm

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 6:30 pm

don't we all ;o) Reinstall XP using whatever % of the hdd you want XP/ntfs to occupy, then install ubuntu and it's pretty easy from there...

geek_sirfer, Jan 3, 6:33 pm

Yeah that was my next step maybe next weekend

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 6:35 pm

Hint If you're going to resize windows, it's a good idea to defrag it first, and it's absolutely essential that you do a clean shutdown in windows before booting the Linux installer. Linux can't do anything with a 'dirty' (improperly closed) NTFS filesystem. The other thing you can do is use the windows disk management. I'm not sure if XP can resize the partition it booted from, but I'm pretty sure Vista can and that's probably a little safer than letting Linux do it.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 6:42 pm

always choose 'manual' at the partitioner.

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 9:31 pm

I tryed that too and and it wouldnt let me change anything

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:06 pm

did you boot from the disc or are you using wubi?

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:08 pm

I booted from disk...

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:12 pm

Hmm should i try it with Wubi

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:17 pm

be careful man, you could hose your system. i'd run a disc repair utility before getting too carried away [your HDD manufacturers site should have one]

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:20 pm

That is Western Digital

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:24 pm

is the missus going to kick you out if you kill windows? ha ha =p WD have tools @ their site.

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:30 pm

Naw she has her on pc with ubuntu on it

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:32 pm

did you try the other partitioning options or a third party app? gparted is excellent, but just download puppy linux, gparted is included and it's faster, and more useful =]

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:40 pm

Yep i tryed gparted and i downloaded Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools 11.2 but it doesnt tell ya shit whats the link for puppy

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:41 pm

i was going to make some smart arse comment about your google being as good as mine, but then decided not to [ http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/official-releases/puppy-linux-412 ]

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:44 pm

Yeah i have been waiting for it .. and i have already downloaded puppy while i was waiting .. google works just fine lol

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:48 pm

should we turn this into a metal thread again? ha ha [ Cianide - The Dying Truth - 04 - Scourging At The Pillar.mp3 ]

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:50 pm

Hmm Death - The Sound Of Perseverance (whole album)

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:51 pm

you want to hear something shocking? i've only recently started to like death, and hypocrisy. i know i know, not worthy [Xx.] tried puppy yet?

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:54 pm

Good god burning the iso now

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:56 pm

should i predict a puppy convert, nah not yet :p it's so uber fast you'll wince.

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 10:57 pm

Just hope it works ...

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 10:58 pm

Hmm this seems even more confusing than my ubuntu problem

geek_fallen1, Jan 3, 11:07 pm

report back man. i have to do the whole meatspace thing now so yeah, catch ya later.

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 11:08 pm

Over all i have tryed alot of things to get this working ..now is installing ubuntu in windows with wubi safe .. if it worth a try ??

geek_fallen1, Jan 4, 9:54 am

'dmesg' I'd try and find out why Linux doesn't want to resize the partition first, and get that fixed. If the windows filesystem is corrupted, highly fragmented, or the drive is damaged Ubuntu is probably picking up on that and doing the sensible thing to protect your data. Look in dmesg perhaps, from a terminal on the live CD and see what it's telling you.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 4, 10:20 am

Good luck trying to install Puppy....bad dog!

geek_sirfer, Jan 4, 10:42 am

Oh, you already said 1 bad sector. Get windows to do a full disk check and I think it will map that bad sector out, then Linux should be a bit happier with it.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 4, 10:49 am

Hmm just tryed a disk scan .. it was in to the 3rd part or 5 and boom pc restarts tryed it again and boom restart i think my disk is sick sick sick ....

geek_fallen1, Jan 4, 11:02 am

cool, time for hardware shopping =]

geek_0800xford, Jan 4, 12:12 pm

Yep im not too pissed that its only 18 mths oldi was going too get a 600Gb in a few weeks anyways

geek_fallen1, Jan 4, 12:19 pm

that's a pretty poor innings =[

geek_0800xford, Jan 4, 12:38 pm