rewire a 3 pin North American power adapter cable Page 1 / 3

olack, Jan 3, 5:51am
Rewire a 3 pin North American power adapter cable to NZ cable and plugs. Is it ok to use the same 3 pin plug and just add an NZ 250V 10A plug and keep the same wire.

But I don't see why I can not use the same wire in the Nth American cable...yet...I am working at getting a multimeter.

I like the ones that can have those tweezers attached to them.

malachiman, Jan 3, 5:53am
One day we will see a thread saying olack is no more. Disconnected from server.

olack, Jan 3, 6:11am
Nahnearly, but no...

olack, Jan 3, 6:18am
Hmm...first mistakeaccording to Wikipedia the power plug is not any of them...it has a big long round earth and 2 same size power and neutral pins.

matthew_129, Jan 3, 6:58am
Bad idea US = 110V, NZ = 240V. So unless what ever your are plugging in is auto switching between the 2 voltages it will go boom.

galex, Jan 3, 7:00am
Sounds American or Japanese - despite Wikipedia.. Check out this page:
http://www.powercords.co.uk/standard.htm the JAP and USA plugs are towards the end of the page, look like what you are describing. A multimeter will let you ID which pins go where.

evoeater, Jan 3, 7:02am
O_0 Thought you had to have at least a limited electrical registration before you could go tampering with power plugs. In which case if you did then you sure as hell wouldn't be asking those sorts of questions

galex, Jan 3, 7:13am
Plug changing is OK May I suggest you familiarise yourself with the DIY electrical Regs., changing a plug is OK

http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/diy/diylegal-electrical.php

olack, Jan 3, 7:50am
Thanks for the link to http://www.powercords.co.uk/standard.htm the power plug id Japanese what I want to do is use the power adapter cable from the Japanese power adapter and rewire it to NZ plugs. The Japanese power adapter is rated 100-240V1.2-0.5A .

oldman, Jan 3, 8:00am
Wwwwhattt?? What on earth are you calling" "a Japanese power adapter"? The electricity supply in Japan is rated at 100-127 volts AC. The NZ power supply is rated at 220-240 volts AC.
If you connect an appliance which is intended for use with the Japanese power supply to the NZ power supply it will blow up or burn out. Changing a plug does not change the voltage.

pyro_sniper2002, Jan 3, 8:04am
This is one of those if you have to ask, you really shouldn't be touching it situations.

olack, Jan 3, 8:35am
Yes, well...I worded my last post wrong. I only want to rewire the power adapter cable using the existing plugs. I think the power adapter is rated for NZ power points and I stated the power adapter ratings earlier.

deodar, Jan 3, 8:36am
contd:& one day we'll see a news flash olack has fried himself & caused a
massive power blackout because the
transformer outside the House of Olack blew up with an explosion heard
10kms away.SNAFU for Olack.

olack, Jan 3, 8:47am
I think I may be able to put the Japanese plugs...onto New Zealand power cable. How does that sound...Deodar, you go first...your comments please.

0800xford, Jan 3, 8:50am
olack dude, you're my fvckin' hero.

deodar, Jan 3, 9:10am
Travellers get universal adapters Don't leave home without 1.The app
is safe because less voltage is the
domestic supply everywhere else.UK &
Aussie have the same 240 as us.No one
has more.

cjdnzl, Jan 3, 9:12am
, Oldman, There is no problem with what the OP said in . The power suply is rated 100 - 240 volts, that is, it can handle any voltage from 100 to 240. It will be a modern chopped-mode unit, with much better voltage regulation than a transformer can give. Changing the plug is simple - just cut off the existing plug and rewire to a NZ plug, polarity unimportant.

little_egypt, Jan 3, 10:00am
Polarity not overly important but Green+yellow or green is earth, and generally blue or black is neutral, brown or red is phase/live. Laptop supplies usually don't care but it's nice to get it right, you never know when someone will plug your lead into some other appliance where it does matter.

olack, Jan 3, 10:05am
Thanks alot cjdnzl....thankyou deodar......so easy, thanks.

pyro_sniper2002, Jan 3, 10:12am
True if its double insulated but you want to get it around the right way if its not. IE if its 2 pin it doesn't matter, if its 3 pin it does.

gbbrot, Jan 3, 10:14am
US.. uses 110v and 60Hz. Two phase connection is 220v. They regularly wire using two phases. As for Japan, they use 110v but may be either 50Hz OR 60Hz. Japanese plug is slightly different to the US one. In US, White would be Neutral and Black for Phase (Green/yellow is earth/neutral).

olack, Jan 3, 10:23am
It is ok people, in the link above there is a good decription of the Japanese plug pinout so I can wire it to NZ standard propely...ouch, gotta do that...I mean white is ok and burned to black aint ok.

richms, Jan 3, 10:24am
First check if the power cable is detachable, if it is then just get a new one.

If not then you need to look at the jacket for voltage rating and conductor size to see if its suitable for NZ. Then you need to see if it has the right approvals (cant recall off the top of my head)

then you need to strip it and check the wire colours are approrpiate to use in NZ, lots of US leads have white - neutral, black - live, and a solid green earth. Means that you need to put the black in the live terminal which goes against the norm here.

badcam, Jan 3, 1:23pm
Why not just buy a cheap travel adaptor and attach that? This way you can still use it overseas, should the occasion ever arrise, and the adaptor will always coe in handy if you travel with or without the item in question.

gyrogearloose, Jan 3, 7:49pm
Whichever way you do it NZ wallplug on Japanese cable or Japanese powerpack end on NZ cable, the result must be rock solid and look like a bought one. We don't want to see any insulation tape, chocolate box joiners, wire twisted together, mickey mouse job. If you did destructive testing, it should support just as much weight vertically as a bought one before ripping apart. If you are not sure you can achieve this with a stanley knife and a screwdriver, then take it to an electrician.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)