rewire a 3 pin North American power adapter cable

Rewire a 3 pin North American power adapter cable to NZ cable and plugs. Is it ok to use the same 3 pin plug and just add an NZ 250V 10A plug and keep the same wire.

But I don't see why I can not use the same wire in the Nth American cable...yet...I am working at getting a multimeter.

I like the ones that can have those tweezers attached to them.

geek_olack, Jan 3, 6:51 pm

One day we will see a thread saying olack is no more. Disconnected from server.

geek_malachiman, Jan 3, 6:53 pm

Nahnearly, but no...

geek_olack, Jan 3, 7:11 pm

Hmm...first mistakeaccording to Wikipedia the power plug is not any of them...it has a big long round earth and 2 same size power and neutral pins.

geek_olack, Jan 3, 7:18 pm

Bad idea US = 110V, NZ = 240V. So unless what ever your are plugging in is auto switching between the 2 voltages it will go boom.

geek_matthew_129, Jan 3, 7:58 pm

Sounds American or Japanese - despite Wikipedia.. Check out this page:
http://www.powercords.co.uk/standard.htm the JAP and USA plugs are towards the end of the page, look like what you are describing. A multimeter will let you ID which pins go where.

geek_galex, Jan 3, 8:00 pm

O_0 Thought you had to have at least a limited electrical registration before you could go tampering with power plugs. In which case if you did then you sure as hell wouldn't be asking those sorts of questions

geek_evoeater, Jan 3, 8:02 pm

Plug changing is OK May I suggest you familiarise yourself with the DIY electrical Regs., changing a plug is OK

http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/diy/diylegal-electrical.php

geek_galex, Jan 3, 8:13 pm

Thanks for the link to http://www.powercords.co.uk/standard.htm the power plug id Japanese what I want to do is use the power adapter cable from the Japanese power adapter and rewire it to NZ plugs. The Japanese power adapter is rated 100-240V1.2-0.5A .

geek_olack, Jan 3, 8:50 pm

Wwwwhattt?? What on earth are you calling" "a Japanese power adapter"? The electricity supply in Japan is rated at 100-127 volts AC. The NZ power supply is rated at 220-240 volts AC.
If you connect an appliance which is intended for use with the Japanese power supply to the NZ power supply it will blow up or burn out. Changing a plug does not change the voltage.

geek_oldman, Jan 3, 9:00 pm

This is one of those if you have to ask, you really shouldn't be touching it situations.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jan 3, 9:04 pm

Yes, well...I worded my last post wrong. I only want to rewire the power adapter cable using the existing plugs. I think the power adapter is rated for NZ power points and I stated the power adapter ratings earlier.

geek_olack, Jan 3, 9:35 pm

contd:& one day we'll see a news flash olack has fried himself & caused a
massive power blackout because the
transformer outside the House of Olack blew up with an explosion heard
10kms away.SNAFU for Olack.

geek_deodar, Jan 3, 9:36 pm

I think I may be able to put the Japanese plugs...onto New Zealand power cable. How does that sound...Deodar, you go first...your comments please.

geek_olack, Jan 3, 9:47 pm

olack dude, you're my fvckin' hero.

geek_0800xford, Jan 3, 9:50 pm

Travellers get universal adapters Don't leave home without 1.The app
is safe because less voltage is the
domestic supply everywhere else.UK &
Aussie have the same 240 as us.No one
has more.

geek_deodar, Jan 3, 10:10 pm

, Oldman, There is no problem with what the OP said in . The power suply is rated 100 - 240 volts, that is, it can handle any voltage from 100 to 240. It will be a modern chopped-mode unit, with much better voltage regulation than a transformer can give. Changing the plug is simple - just cut off the existing plug and rewire to a NZ plug, polarity unimportant.

geek_cjdnzl, Jan 3, 10:12 pm

Polarity not overly important but Green+yellow or green is earth, and generally blue or black is neutral, brown or red is phase/live. Laptop supplies usually don't care but it's nice to get it right, you never know when someone will plug your lead into some other appliance where it does matter.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 3, 11:00 pm

Thanks alot cjdnzl....thankyou deodar......so easy, thanks.

geek_olack, Jan 3, 11:05 pm

True if its double insulated but you want to get it around the right way if its not. IE if its 2 pin it doesn't matter, if its 3 pin it does.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jan 3, 11:12 pm

US.. uses 110v and 60Hz. Two phase connection is 220v. They regularly wire using two phases. As for Japan, they use 110v but may be either 50Hz OR 60Hz. Japanese plug is slightly different to the US one. In US, White would be Neutral and Black for Phase (Green/yellow is earth/neutral).

geek_gbbrot, Jan 3, 11:14 pm

It is ok people, in the link above there is a good decription of the Japanese plug pinout so I can wire it to NZ standard propely...ouch, gotta do that...I mean white is ok and burned to black aint ok.

geek_olack, Jan 3, 11:23 pm

First check if the power cable is detachable, if it is then just get a new one.

If not then you need to look at the jacket for voltage rating and conductor size to see if its suitable for NZ. Then you need to see if it has the right approvals (cant recall off the top of my head)

then you need to strip it and check the wire colours are approrpiate to use in NZ, lots of US leads have white - neutral, black - live, and a solid green earth. Means that you need to put the black in the live terminal which goes against the norm here.

geek_richms, Jan 3, 11:24 pm

Why not just buy a cheap travel adaptor and attach that? This way you can still use it overseas, should the occasion ever arrise, and the adaptor will always coe in handy if you travel with or without the item in question.

geek_badcam, Jan 4, 2:23 am

Whichever way you do it NZ wallplug on Japanese cable or Japanese powerpack end on NZ cable, the result must be rock solid and look like a bought one. We don't want to see any insulation tape, chocolate box joiners, wire twisted together, mickey mouse job. If you did destructive testing, it should support just as much weight vertically as a bought one before ripping apart. If you are not sure you can achieve this with a stanley knife and a screwdriver, then take it to an electrician.

geek_gyrogearloose, Jan 4, 8:49 am

Mine came with a US plug and adaptor The adaptor looked pretty cheap and unsafe ($2 shop quality) so I cut the plug off and put a NZ plug on it, no trouble at all. Two weeks later I found a compatible power supply at a second hand shop. So now I have a spare.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 4, 10:17 am

That is all good news.. I will buy a power plug and replace the Japanese power plug and leave the rest of the cable. Thankyou and you and you and you and......

geek_olack, Jan 4, 11:49 am

Polarity question, just in case of...well...um...the cable hs a Green(earth) and 2 black wires. Maybe the left and the right black wires are either neutral or live...it is a Japanese plug is (to me "polarity") important or unimportant? little_egypt...you go first this time..lol...sry, don't know what came over me..

geek_olack, Jan 4, 1:09 pm

Being Sunday and allI'm going to post on as many religious forums as I can, for them to pray that olack is kept safe from harm, or that his soul at least has a pleasant transition to a good afterlife.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 1:14 pm

It wont matter except the earth But that is where a multimeter is handy, you can strip the wires back a little before cutting them completely & test which pin is what wire, the top left pin is the phase looking at the wall plate, right hand pin obviously if looking at the plug face on.

geek_got2bin2win, Jan 4, 1:14 pm

An explosion followed by a shower of power adapter's and faulty LCD panels in Auckland City has left one man seriously injured. We will keep to up-to-date as more information arises.

geek_pixma, Jan 4, 1:24 pm

From prosniper 2002 aboveTrue if its double insulated
but you want to get it around the right way if its not. IE if its 2 pin it doesn't matter, if its 3 pin it does. ...so I think I would like to check on the wires. It seems it may matter to the laptop?

geek_olack, Jan 4, 1:45 pm

Lol @ my last comment. .

geek_olack, Jan 4, 1:46 pm

...and now to be sure...http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/34/83709834_full.jpg the figure 8 plug and the cable end with the 3 bared wires are pointing in the same direction...ie, the cable has 3 ridges on one edge and is round on the other edge. Maybe this is a clue as to which black wire(the 2 outermost wires on the cable) is phase and which is neutral...?

geek_olack, Jan 4, 2:53 pm

You could find a NZ power brick that has the right power output. It would be safer for your laptop, and you. If you stuff it up, you realise the transformer could blow, and possible take something out with it. Even if it seems to work, the risk is there and it might burn your house down while unattended.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 3:16 pm

...yes...?

geek_olack, Jan 4, 3:22 pm

you'd have to leave the house for it to be unattended ha ha ha :p

geek_0800xford, Jan 4, 3:25 pm

Two black wires Would presumably mean it's double insulated and polarity really doesn't matter. But that's just a guess, IANARE, etc. If it's the standard 'round plug, 19v DC' laptop power supply that most laptops seem to use these days the safest option might be to pick up another one that already has the right plug. I think there's an auction site somewhere where you could find a cheap one.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 4, 3:42 pm

If its the ridged cable, its not suitable for 240v - it only has one insulation layer and NZ regs require 2.

Where did this come from that you have ended up with a non compliant adapter in NZ? This is the reason they normally have detachable power cables on things.

geek_richms, Jan 4, 3:56 pm

It is definitely Japanesethe cable is a thick flat 3 wire(you can see three wires moulded into the one flat cable with a very thick outer and the earth is enclosed is another cable being green. So the 2 outer edges contain 2 stranded copper wire and middle is the again sleeved green earth wire.

geek_olack, Jan 4, 4:04 pm

So why are you not replacing the cable?

geek_richms, Jan 4, 4:12 pm

Specs of the power adapter herehttp://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/87/83715787_full.jpg .http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/21/83715821_full.jpg . I am just waiting for confirmtion of the phase and neutral if they exist for this cable then will put an NZ power plug on the wires.

geek_olack, Jan 4, 4:14 pm

I'm inclined to agree For all this messing about, you could spend $5 on a brand new cable and be done with it.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Laptops/Power-adaptors/Dell/auction-195541259.htm<br />

geek_little_egypt, Jan 4, 4:18 pm

olack does not like parting with his $$$ methinks lol

geek_pixma, Jan 4, 4:25 pm

In the time you have spent typing and photographing the cable and adapter, and the waste of time you have given others on a cable that is easily replaced for virtually nothing, you could have done something useful.

If you do replace the plug it will not be certifiable if you need to use the laptop at a commercial permisis that requires test and tag, so get a new cable now and be done with it.

geek_richms, Jan 4, 4:32 pm

Color.. code is not important. Only Green for earth is specified. The international standard green-yellow marking of protective-earth conductors was introduced to reduce the risk of confusion by color blind installers. About 7% to 10% of men cannot clearly distinguish between red and green, which is a particular concern in older schemes where red marks a live conductor and green marks protective earth (U.S. terminology: safety ground).

geek_gbbrot, Jan 4, 4:41 pm

Yellow was also a ground in come countries before harmonization. NZ and AU have held out for the change on fixed wiring that has happened in the UK to bring it in line with the bulk of europe.

geek_richms, Jan 4, 4:51 pm

What difference should I look for using a multimeter? If it is not going to matter initially which black wire is connected to which pin then I have time to test the connected cables. So what would I look for in the multimeter results?

geek_olack, Jan 4, 4:56 pm

Is your multimeter up to measuring mains power? And are you?

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 4:59 pm

German Address O graph machine I came across one of these years ago with German mains lead coding where earth was red. This machine had red connected to our phase in the plug. The operator, now my wife, had complained of getting shocks.
Sorry to stray from the subject - thought a little light relief might be of interest

geek_biggal, Jan 4, 5:03 pm