Networking 2 Gigabit Nic's

Networking 2 Gigabit Nic's I have 2 media computers with gigabit nics and the rest of the network is 100Mb. I don't really want to buy a gigabit switch yet so I was thinking of connecting the 2 media comps with a crossover cable(gigabit) and installing a 100Mb nic in one of the media comps (for the rest of the network including internet) and bridging the two nics in that one, will this work? Will bridging a gigabit and 100Mb nic take the speed down to 100Mb on the gigabit network? Thanks.

geek_lyndon.craw, Jan 4, 9:53 am

What will happen is that the Gigabit Card connected to the 10/100 network, will lower it's speed to that 10 or 100 mbits depending on the rest of the network.

geek_executor1, Jan 4, 10:05 am

Remember.. that the 1000Mb and 100Mb Nics are bridged in the computer not connected via cable.

geek_lyndon.craw, Jan 4, 10:08 am

Yes, that will work as you intend.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 10:10 am

not sure about bridging, but you do not need to add another NIC to bring the speed down, just connect to a lower speed network.

geek_executor1, Jan 4, 10:10 am

How would he connect a single gigabit port to another gigabit port, and a megabit port, without a gigabit router?

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 10:31 am

:She said, crossover between the two gbit machines, then a 3rd network card (100mbit) to connect to the existing network

geek_kane199, Jan 4, 11:52 am

Whats the point.. You can buy a small domestic 10/100/1000 switch for $60...

geek_fred68, Jan 4, 12:31 pm

Wish i had $60 to throw towards a gigabit switch

geek_kane199, Jan 4, 12:39 pm

Lol you can just plug the cable into the mbit switch and it will just deliver 100mbit

geek_hasbeana, Jan 4, 12:43 pm

Ohh yeah if you got 2 nics on one motherboard you can just bridge it. have one going to the other server n come cat6 and the other one going to your 100mb switch/hub w.e

geek_hasbeana, Jan 4, 12:44 pm

Thanks guys I don't see much point in buying another switch when I only want (at this point)a quick connection between the two and I have a spare nic lying around :)

geek_lyndon.craw, Jan 4, 2:11 pm

The overall network speed will slow down to match the speed of the slowest thing on the network.

geek_pcmaster, Jan 4, 3:56 pm

It will work, but I have not had DHCP work via 2 bridged cards in windows reliably.

Also you need a straight thru cable between gig nics, they are all autosense and a crossover will usually end up giving you 100 meg only since gig doesnt have the idea of transmit and recieve pairs like 100 and 10 base do.

And cat-5 is all you need. there is no reason to buy cat-6 other then to feel good that you have futureproofed yourself for something that doesnt exist.

geek_richms, Jan 4, 4:00 pm

Really? You can get away with cat5? I assume that's over short distances, as opposed to the 90m cat6 allows for.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 4:05 pm

cat-5e which is all you get now anyway will take gigabit to 100m - I have had a 140m link that worked without incident so it appears to have the typical overengereered nature of those specs.

It takes cat-6a for 10gig networking to work, and I have not seen that for sale anywhere yet, and I dont see a need for those data volumes in the near future around the house so there is little point in getting it. It may work on plain cat-6 cable but till I can pick a 10 gig nic up at a computer shop and a switch then its all academic for home use anyway.

geek_richms, Jan 4, 4:17 pm

That's cool. Have you done any extensive testing, other than to see it works? Just wondering if you get the full speed, or if some packets need to be re-sent.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 4:41 pm

Heck, my motherboard has two Gigabit NIC's, I'll plug my longest cable into both and check it out.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 4:42 pm

the 140m one was to a dumb switch so no on that one. The gig links in the house which were all on cat5e were showing stuff all errors and getting a good rate. Seen more errors on 100 base-t running on electrican installed cables.

geek_richms, Jan 4, 4:44 pm

You seem to be a very clever and nice person, rich It's nice having you around here.

geek_cybertao, Jan 4, 4:56 pm

Using CAT5e cut my network bandwidth in half to 500Mb instead of 1Gb. Using CAT6 granted full duplex 1Gb on my Gb LAN.

geek_lostdude, Jan 4, 5:35 pm