How do i connect my modem to a new computer

How do i connect my modem to a new computer i just got a new laptop and was wandering do i need to set up a new conncetion if ive been using the net on a home PC,as i tryed to plug it in put it wont work??any help thanks

geek_no_way_mate, Jan 5, 1:24 pm

Ummm what? modem being ...? what type of modem? BB, dialup....plugged what in?

geek_soodanim, Jan 5, 1:26 pm

Broadband modem its woking now on the home Pc,but when i plug it into the lappy it doesnt work?wat do i need to do.

geek_no_way_mate, Jan 5, 1:28 pm

Depends If it is adsl (plugged into the phone line) then it should auto configure the ip address via the dhcp server, if it is cable( static ip like telstraclear) then you will need to input the ip address as well as the default gateway and dns numbers manually (which is quite easy) if you need help just let me know and i can talk you through it.

geek_krazyjay, Jan 5, 2:17 pm

Yea hey krazyjay its adsl if u cud talk me thru it,that wud be a big help thanks..

geek_no_way_mate, Jan 5, 5:10 pm

Any help urgently wud be much appreciated thanks..

geek_no_way_mate, Jan 6, 12:35 am

Easy answer Open up 'network settings' on the machine that works, look at the TCP/IP properties and copy down everything, IP address, Gateway, DNS servers, and which boxes are checked for 'auto', then go set up the lappy the same way.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 6, 9:12 am

Yea i tryed that it still didnt work any other ideas thanks

geek_no_way_mate, Jan 6, 4:22 pm

The best solution is to contact your ISP and get them to talk you through what needs to be configured for your laptop. They are the experts and will have the answer specific to your problem.

geek_cpg, Jan 6, 8:46 pm

You haven't told us with what kind of cable you're trying to attach the modem to the computer. That would help.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 6, 8:48 pm

Thru a usb cable?? is that any help..

geek_no_way_mate, Jan 6, 10:40 pm

It will need drivers they will be on the disc that came with the modem.

geek_flewy, Jan 6, 11:33 pm

USB cable Why are you using the USB port?

For about $130 you can buy a modem with 4 ports and a wireless connection. This way you can leave you desktop connected (hard wired, up to four computers be cause itís got four ports) and then use the wireless connection for the laptop. This way you use the laptop in the manner it was designed for, e.g. on the toilet and surf the net at the some time.
You need to install some software to use the USB port.
You should have got a setup CD with the modem or ISP (or both); this should have the drivers you need.
If you don't have the CD, connect to your old computer and see if you can download it from the ISP website of the maker of the modem. After downloading it save it to a memory card (or make a CD etc), then load into laptop and run.
Using the CD that comes with the modem requires information about you connection, the best way of doing this is to ring them when installing driver and that will walk you through it.

geek_burger8, Jan 6, 11:34 pm

"ISP website of the maker of the modem" lol.

geek_lostdude, Jan 7, 12:20 am