Windows 7.... I like :D Page 1 / 3

ply-boy, Jan 5, 6:40am
Windows 7I like :D Just installed Windows 7 Build 7000 :o

I like it ALOT!
its stable as a mofo so far :D

anyone else played with it?

wholesaler, Jan 5, 6:45am
Yup its awesome although I dont have any gripes about Vista. Only people who havnt used it do

cybertao, Jan 5, 7:01am
I've used it, and I have gripes It's a dog on a machine with a gig or less of RAM, and a half decent graphics card. Sure, most supporters cry that it needs the right system. But it sucks when it's sold on laptops and desktops that don't usually don't have high enough specs(most of them). Not to mention decreasing the battery life on a laptop because it uses so many more resources. From what I've read, W7 will perform much better on less powerful machines.

sirfer, Jan 5, 7:09am
shut up dik I've used Vista and it is a steaming pile IMO. 5 years and that's the best that MS can do? WTF do the developers do there? Not much as far as I can tell...except how to piss off their customers and integrate DRM into the OS

kane199, Jan 5, 7:10am
Hehe pirate much? &0;&0;

ply-boy, Jan 5, 7:13am
Pirate??? where? lol

I like Windows 7...
didnt have any gripes about VIsta thoughBut I have a quad core with 4GB ram and 2tb hdd spacenot my fault lol

But windows 7 seems alot like the transition from win 98 to win98se lol

swivel, Jan 5, 7:17am
Cybertao Don't blame Vista, It's a very stable Program. You blame the companies that put it on their systems with min specs. Or blame the User that want's a cheap-as new system, and then complains it doesn't run as good as it should, PEBKAC's. I run vista on my Toshiba A50 with a gig of ram, up and running in a minute, and never had a problem.

flewy, Jan 5, 7:19am
Were you even born in 98 ply?

little_egypt, Jan 5, 7:22am
Downloaded it this afternoon off some dodgy ftp site in New Jersey. Already burned the DVD, about to swap some drives around and give it a spin.

sakkara, Jan 5, 7:47am
Care to share the download site ;-)

ply-boy, Jan 5, 7:51am
Yea I found 50GB to spare in a partionso sectioned it off and wamo!!! :D

I love itgot everything working, EXCEPT! media portal :(

but I love WMP and the taskbar and also the display properties setup is Nice...
everything else is fairly vista like

little_egypt, Jan 5, 7:52am
Ftp site it's in the other windows7 thread

little_egypt, Jan 5, 8:06am
Half an hour And it's rebooted itself. It said it will reboot 'several times' during the install so I guess it has a way to go.

cybertao, Jan 5, 8:11am
I don't blame Vista, I blame Microsoft for trying it on. They seem to have produced Vista like they did with hardware manufacturers and movie/music industry in mind...instead of the end users. Why should someone buy a system with a new graphics chipset and at least 2Gb of RAM? Especially when most want a cheap system to check their email and surf trademe. I went to my aunt's place yesterday to secure her network and had to change the settings on two laptops running Vista. I consider myself a patient person and have worked on many systems over 20 years, I was really frustrated by that stupid spinning circle while trying to do such a simple task. It looked pretty doing it though. :-\

little_egypt, Jan 5, 8:40am
All installed Not bad at all. Pretty easy install, seems to have picked up most of my hardware (no TV card, but everything else) and it's a nice responsive desktop. I'll have to have a bit more of a play with it I think.

sakkara, Jan 5, 8:43am
What other windows7 thread

gazzanova69, Jan 5, 9:00am
Installed it last weekend very solid for a beta and seems compatible with most of my old programs =)

ammcats, Jan 5, 9:58am
Ply still around kido? got a job yet? anywhofound a disk mounting program that will run in W7? -Omnicurse

evoeater, Jan 5, 10:12am
Microsofts Operating Systems have pretty much always been geared toward tomorrows hardware. XP's minimum requirements are 64MB of RAM and yet people wouldn't run it on anything less than 512. Before that was common place they wouldn't run it on anything less than 256MB. Point being as soon as 4GB is the norm people will be saying that's whats required for Vista. It will run on 1GB fine (provided of course your not a gamer)

evoeater, Jan 5, 10:14am
As for Windows 7 I've tried it and its not bad, I quite like the new explorer. Seems much tidier. But seeing as I use Vista I'm not seeing a lot of change. Will get it for the Media Box but possibly not this one

cybertao, Jan 5, 10:23am
But when is 4gigs ever going to be 'the norm'? The average user doesn't need that many resources. I can't imagine a system that requires 4gig to run an OS used to check email and look at youtube videos. We've reached a point that people don't need more. There is no advantage to a bloated system that uses so much. Can you imagine the start up time if Windows needs to load 2gigs of itself off current hard-drives?

evoeater, Jan 5, 10:26am
Can I quote you on that? Bill Gates said a similar thing a few years back

pcmaster, Jan 5, 10:31am
Vid at top of this page springs to mind about now: http://telcontar.net/store/archive/CrashGallery/?page=5

kazanne, Jan 5, 10:37am
Windows just doesn't make sense I've used Windows Vista and the latest build of Windows 7, but I see that Microsoft still hasn't realized that a lot of their new operating systems cannot be worked out by common sense or logic.

Why does Microsoft keep changing the locations of certain items/options for no particular reason. If it doesn't allow a new feature or make it easier to understand, why change it?

The only reason I can use Windows XP well is because I've spent years using it; when it was first introduced it was the same feeling I have had with every version: complete frustration.

I use Macs most of the time simply because they make sense. I'm not just posting this to promote my choice of computer though, I just think Apple has the ability to create interfaces that can be worked out without having to use trial and error. Like the iPod and Mac OS X.

I get really frustrated with every new version of Windows and I wish Microsoft would wake up and realize people use their systems.

pcmaster, Jan 5, 10:56am
Kazanne Windows hasn't really changed at all from a gui perspective since Windows 95, only the eyecandy and theres a bit more bloat onboard but everythings essentially the same once you strip all that away. I mostly still use keyboard shortcuts which haven't really changed since windows 3.11, however one or two new ones are added to every windows version.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)