is it possible to have too adsl routers

Is it possible to have too adsl routers and run them both? as i am tired of linking a cable from upstairs to downstairs to use the internet. Yes i do have wireless but the signal is poor. I was told that i can get another adsl router for downstairs and use it, will it work? thanks

geek_unstop, Jan 23, 10:05 pm

NOone ADSL per line

geek_swivel, Jan 23, 10:06 pm

A network switch might do However. Have managed to set one up for myself

geek_qfamily, Jan 23, 11:05 pm

Yep connect it via NW cable and set it to get the DHCP from the ADSL modem

geek_swivel, Jan 23, 11:08 pm

Net work switch? can you explain ? is that a device or a software or file you create in your computer?

geek_unstop, Jan 23, 11:09 pm

An "ethernet switch" is a small box that you can plug say 2-8 network cables into. We have an 8 port one with 5 computers and Xbox360 all connected to the internet at the same time. The ADSL modem also plugs into it.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 23, 11:13 pm

But my wireless rounter already has 4 ports for the network cable. but it is upstairs i just want to get another rounter or is there another way for me to get the net downstairs withour using wireless as i perfer cable?

geek_unstop, Jan 23, 11:21 pm

Just search up ethernet switch on trademe it looks like another rounter tho where you have ports for network cable and phone cable and power.

geek_unstop, Jan 23, 11:24 pm

The only limiter is that only one can be active at a time, yes you can have 2, one upstairs one down, the unused one must be turned off at the wall

geek_skin1235, Jan 23, 11:25 pm

Thanks number 9 can you turn it off from he computer? as if you have to turn it off from the wll sureli its like using 2 routers just turn the 1 you are using on.

geek_unstop, Jan 23, 11:27 pm

Wiredwhat's the distance? you could use a long network cable.

geek_soodanim, Jan 23, 11:28 pm

Well run the ethernet cable through your walls/ roof/floor whatever then. If you have more than one machine downstairs, then throw a network switch on the end of the cable. If you didn't want to run cable, maybe one of those ethernet of power kits. Or simply boost the wireless signal ..maybe a repeater..etc.

geek_gibler, Jan 23, 11:29 pm

I'm not sure what your last post was actually saying lol...- there must be only one turned on at a time -- sorry it will have to be a manual turn off, selecting a different router is not possible via the computer (choose router one or router 2 to connect, it is not quite like having a couple of dialup modems to choose from) .. whichever one is turned on will send a signal through the line and be accepted, once accepted it has control of the line until it is turned off, no other can be accepted while the first is still turned on

geek_skin1235, Jan 23, 11:36 pm

That'll only work tho if all your jackpoints have adsl enabled...If you had a dedicated jackpoint installed then you won't be able to connect a second router to the phoneline.

geek_soodanim, Jan 23, 11:39 pm

How bad is the signal? low or frequent disconnections?

geek_soodanim, Jan 23, 11:42 pm

There are other solutions for your problem and personally I'd use a switch but you asked if 2 routers could be used on the same line, the answer is yes,, there must only be one turned on at any given time and you may also have to remove and fit the correct line filter to suit the upstairs downstairs senario, but yes it can be done

geek_skin1235, Jan 23, 11:45 pm

The one not in use must be unplugged from the line, not just turned off, it is not filtered so will be sucking signal off the line when connected to it and the other one is trying to be used.

Just run an ethernet cable between the router and the computer.

geek_richms, Jan 24, 3:12 am

Or. you could just move the router closer to were you want the wireless connected. depending on if there is enough wire to allow considerable movement to another location or use a larger/ better router wifi antenna

geek_pc_nut, Jan 24, 3:18 am

Google cantenna.....or buy a signal booster...

geek_drcspy, Jan 24, 3:47 am

To every body out there who suggests using a switch to share broad band? and i see it suggested time & time again, it is not a GOOD idea, use a router NOT a switch even though it may work, put quite simply here is why not to.. http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/share-internet-hub.asp

geek_got2bin2win, Jan 24, 11:18 am

Duh ADSL routers generally use NAT which means you'll never see a packet come to your computer unless it's a reply to something you sent out. the ADSL bot is a 'router' as well as a modem. You don't need a second router.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 24, 11:22 am

And in reply to There's also a way of networking over power lines which has been mentioned here in the past. Eg http://pcgenie.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_30&products_id=1055

geek_little_egypt, Jan 24, 11:25 am

Thanks, I was about to post similar &0;

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 24, 11:26 am

21 ok it will depend on what type of modem you use, like for cable users like my self which is just a modem, no routing abilities.

geek_got2bin2win, Jan 24, 11:26 am

This may be not relevant but I'll say it anywayOur desktop, with wireless pc card, used to get low signal strength. I bought a 1m extension cable from flick13 and moved the wireless antenna up higher. Now the desktop and the laptop at opposite ends of the house both consistently get full strength. A low cost, easy solution.

geek_datoofairy, Jan 24, 11:29 am

Are you sure? Check the IP address in windows (start, run, cmd, 'ipconfig') if it's a non-routable "RFC1918" address (10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x.x) then your connection is behind NAT and won't accept an 'unrequested' connection unless you specifically configure an IP address on your network that they should be forwarded to. If you have a 'real world' address, you probably won't be able to connect a second computer except by using ICS on the first one, in which case the first computer will be acting as a router. Also if you have a real world address and only one computer connected to it, that computer is probably totally exposed to the internet already. Adding a switch wouldn't make it any more or less exposed.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 24, 11:33 am

WTF? Maybe down in Wellington/Christchurch where TesltraClear cable is in use possibly but for your typical ADSL broadband no. A switch is fine as the ADSL Router (which is most common) has NAT built in to it. If it only has a single ethernet port then that can be hooked to a switch with no trouble at all. That site is assuming that everybodys DSL/Cable modem is just a modem in which case yes a router is required but most ADSL routers these days have NAT built in.

geek_evoeater, Jan 24, 11:43 am

1. You can connect two Wifi Routers together. You basically (if the Router allows it) turn one of them into a Wireless Access point and bridge it to the Wifi Router connected to your internet connection. A wired solution would be best, but I had a setup like this running years ago, so I should think the technology would have improved a lot by now. Before that though you should check to see what Strength setting your Wifi adaptor on your upstairs PC/laptop is set to. Also, have you checked the strength setting on the Router? Is the Boost/Turbo setting on?

geek_badcam, Jan 24, 11:44 am

28. Change upstairs to downstairs. I re-read that. Your internet connection and main router are upstairs. Correct? You have a PC/laptop downstairs which has a weak Wifi connection. Correct?

geek_badcam, Jan 24, 11:50 am

What Make and Model Wifi adaptor do you have in your downstairs PC? What Make and Model Router do you have? What's your OS?

geek_badcam, Jan 24, 11:52 am

The power net method mentioned in is a blinder. I use these particular ones http://xrl.us/bedkyf . Good for upstair/downstairs/garage/outhouse anywhere that there's difficult access, but use only in desperate situations as they're bloody expensive. Ideal is to attach a 5-port switch at each end giving room for expansion. Also, be aware that they don't work cross-phase, but, as most residential buildings are single phase, it's not usually an issue.

geek_oberkat, Jan 24, 12:10 pm

22 & 31. I nearly bought a set of these a little while ago, but was put off by some of the reviews. For example, oberkat, your CNet review, and even the products themselves, say that each adaptor has to have it's own separate power plug connection and shouldn't be used with powerboards or multiple plugs. Now, in reality, this isn't practical, so could you guys please tell me what your practical experience with these is? For instance, I'm about to receive a Slingbox and don't have any way to connect that (where the TV is) to my LAN. It seems that the best solution is to buy a set of these. I have a powerboard behind the TV which has five used plugs and one spare, and then of course it's the same with other end where the Router is. On that end I must have around 8 plugs all connected to the one plug socket. (Sorry to highjack your post unstop)

geek_badcam, Jan 24, 1:38 pm

The newer 200 meg ones of the powerline work ok, but the old 14 meg ones are hopeless.

just know that they wont cross phases very well, so check if you have more then one phase into the house before buying them, since you may need to get a sparky to re-order the circuits inorder to get the same phase in both locations.

geek_richms, Jan 24, 2:48 pm

Set up an access point? .

geek_seriouslycgi, Jan 25, 2:37 pm

Just getting back to Do Motorola SURFboard cable modems support Network Address Translation (NAT) or Port Address Translation (PAT)?
All SURFboard Cable Modems function as bridges (with the exception of the SBG900). They do not support any type of address translation. The SBG900 does support Port Address Translation in addition to many other networking features. OK

geek_got2bin2win, Jan 27, 2:57 pm