Compaq or Acer laptop |??? opinions please

geek_nutty-jay, Jan 25, 2:43 pm

Red or black car???? opinions please

geek_osymandias, Jan 25, 2:44 pm

Lol black my stepdad says to steer away from compaq, i dont understand why

geek_nutty-jay, Jan 25, 2:45 pm

Asus .

geek_drcspy, Jan 25, 2:58 pm

If anything avoid acer. It's a bargain basement brand, their computers are tacky, poorly made crap. Nothing wrong with most compaqs (They do make el-cheapo ones in addition to their more palatable fare). I set up some nice *nix boxes on some of their ultra-portables. Pretty good linux support too.

geek_osymandias, Jan 25, 3:00 pm

Personally I'd get a mac, but, if you don't swing that way, and what solid computers for cheap, then ASUS. As drcspy said.

geek_osymandias, Jan 25, 3:02 pm

Neither ASUS or Toshiba.

geek_lythande1, Jan 25, 3:07 pm

If i were to choose i would go with the compaq. toshibas are better though..

geek_shrapz, Jan 25, 3:09 pm

Ibm ;-0

geek_sakkara, Jan 25, 3:29 pm

Abacus portable, lightweight, no power supply required. Alas - no graphics or network support but on the positive, no Windows, Linux or Mac OS to flounder with.

geek_builders_mate, Jan 25, 4:02 pm

Typewritter tbh

geek_baker-assoc, Jan 25, 4:35 pm

Compaq Neither is great, but Compaq is superior to Acer in my experience and opinion. Not a big Tosh fan, I prefer HP, Asus and Apple. Avoid Acer, eMachines, and anything that looks too good to be true or you haven't heard of before.

geek_q300, Jan 25, 5:24 pm

Pffftt I have owned 3 Acer lappys and all have performed great and never faulted me, I had also heard about them being cheap and maybe it's true but I have absolutely no complaints, My wife had a new Toshiba satellite and had so many issues with it, so they replaced it with another Toshiba which is also faulty so they are going to replace it again, But with a different model. So who knows aye :)

geek_vitaminh, Jan 25, 9:53 pm

I'd go compaq. Never by an acer, they are just trash, and ugly trash at that.

geek_gorbulas, Jan 25, 10:15 pm

Acer or asus not compaq i own a compaq nothing but trouble my brother has given me his one again trouble ,other brother owns an acer has had no trouble ,i myself own an older acer again never had a problem some compaqs won,t do a factory reboot with thier recovery system i,m having that problem with my brothers one not a good make even the desktpos are crap ,just my opion

geek_datracer, Jan 29, 11:45 am

I own a Compaq Presario over 3 years old now never had an issue with it. The only issue I had with it was windows Vista which only lasted 2 hours max before I put my custom OS on it but like every company you have the good times where they are really good and then the bad times where they are crap I would never go near acer because I have seen nothing good come out of buying a acer. ASUS laptops not including eeepc tend to overheat well thats just from personal experience.

geek_7of9, Jan 29, 3:29 pm

"never had an issue""The only issue ",...so you did have an issue, ....

geek_kevin16, Jan 29, 3:32 pm

Re 17 I don't like Windows vista wasn't the laptops fault just personal preferences never had an issue with the hardware hence why I still use it every day.

geek_7of9, Jan 29, 3:40 pm

Try stay away from Acer Mine is only 7 weeks old and it is all ready in Aus being repaired.

geek_matt356, Jan 30, 1:40 pm

Avoid acer avoid.. support services are crud for a start.

geek_gibler, Jan 30, 1:52 pm

ASUS gets my vote.

geek_pcfix4u, Jan 30, 2:03 pm

Neither go IBM Stinkpad

geek_stelz0r, Jan 30, 2:19 pm

IBM Dont make laptops! they sold that part of the business
Get an asus

geek_yellowsubmarine, Jan 30, 3:42 pm

Ibm do still make laptops in the same factory just now they have sold the name any everyone seems to think the quality has dropped lol

geek_sakkara, Jan 30, 6:35 pm

IBM dont make laptops! A couple of years ago IBM sold their laptop division (and the name ThinkPad) to the company who had been making their laptops for donkeys years: Lenovo. Second choice would be a ASUS.

geek_madcow, Jan 30, 7:58 pm

If ibm don't make laptops then mac D,s don't make burgers...

geek_sakkara, Jan 30, 8:05 pm

Compaq lest you have a local repair centre if it does break. 3 day turn around usually too.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jan 30, 10:57 pm

And if it is a compaq make sure its an intel one, so far far less issues with them.

geek_pyro_sniper2002, Jan 30, 10:58 pm

Compaq go for a compaq, parts are easy to find, and support is pretty good

geek_whangacomp, Jan 31, 8:29 pm

Pmsl nuttyjay you asked :P

geek_micky_1, Jan 31, 8:57 pm