Have you joined the internet blackout?

Have you joined the internet blackout? Protest against the new Go'vt copyright law? If you want go to http://creativefreedom.org.nz/howto-blackout.html

geek_mone, Feb 18, 3:19 pm

OK for a server But just a pain/in/ars otherwise.Its
piddling me off worse than censorship

geek_deodar, Feb 18, 3:28 pm

Yes, I've joined. This is just plain crap legislation and will do nothing to protect copyright for artists (but could do plenty of harm for every day Internet users). Gaining a lot of coverage noweven international.

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:33 pm

Yeah "international" coverage is just what NZ needs. Now any & every copyright owner will submit any NZ I.P. they come across downloading their contentwhether legally or not.

geek_lostdude, Feb 18, 3:36 pm

Who uses facebook ? and who cares about the ones that do ?

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 18, 3:36 pm

What has it got to do with Facebook?

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:37 pm

It's going to happen anyway, if this law goes ahead. Trying to stay under the radar is hardly a solution.

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:39 pm

Not much or nothingSo why mention it in 1 ? wouldn't it be better to email or write to the minister responsible maybe and John Key...

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 18, 3:41 pm

I can't see it mentioned in ....

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:42 pm

Re # 9 Its in the link dummy !

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 18, 3:42 pm

The link does it's instructions on how to....so you can blackout the facebook, myspace etc if you so wished....

geek_soodanim, Feb 18, 3:43 pm

It's just instructions ...that's all, did you actually read it? or just see facebook and start typing?

geek_soodanim, Feb 18, 3:44 pm

Q & A from Parliamentary Question Time just finished: http://is.gd/jUqZ

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:44 pm

. You're calling me a dummy? I suggest you read stuff through, before you pass comment on it (or start flinging names around).

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:45 pm

I've got a nice simple idea if everyone contacted their ISP and cut back on their download cap they would start screaming at the Govt on our behalf. If you have say, a 20Gb data cap cut it by half to 10Gb or even less, this will help get the message across to the ISP's that they are going to loose big $$$ and since they are all in it for the mighty $$$$ then masses of people cutting back their data caps would send a nice strong message to the ISP's.. Just a thought.

geek_kiwikidd77, Feb 18, 3:48 pm

Re # 14 I read itSo are you gonna use ya brain and write a letter to the minister or just do alot of bleating here !

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 18, 3:49 pm

I'm not 'bleating here'. I'm helping disseminate information about the Act, the Section in question, and the things that every Internet user can do, if they care to, to take some affirmative action. That's APART from the submission to the Ministry I've collaborated on. Seriously, man, you don't do yourself any favours.

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:52 pm

, that's a good concept.. although tricky to implement if you rely on high data caps for your business. Might be something home users could do thoyou should post the idea on the website.

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 3:53 pm

"seriously man...." It wont make any difference ! You and soodanim are both naive and stupid !

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 18, 3:55 pm

this 'fight' wouldn't have started if gothic had provided more information in her initial post...

geek_pcgeek, Feb 18, 4:01 pm

What the I was only pointing out that it was instruction on how to blackout the pages...made no comment about the whole thing, don't assume

geek_soodanim, Feb 18, 4:02 pm

#000000 ..

geek_gibler, Feb 18, 4:04 pm

Fark. so now I'm naive and stupid. Someone suggested to me that I post on this subject in here because there might be people who are interested and objective. Yeah, right.

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 4:06 pm

If ya cant stand the heat get outa the kitchen "wimp "....

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 18, 4:09 pm

*winking* doesn't make insults any less insulting. As you're obviously not interested in this topic, why don't you move on to discussing something you are more able to add insight to?

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 4:15 pm

Some posters lately on this board,not regulars, Are downright rude obnoxious turds.
But then there's the rest of us.Vote
them.

geek_deodar, Feb 18, 4:35 pm

Last time I voted jonkey was placed in power. Have vowed never to vote again after that sad day. A bit confused deodar. Should I vote the rest of us or the obnoxious turds?

geek_paddaricko, Feb 18, 4:48 pm

If this is about S92a. Then nothing wrong with it. If you read paragraph 5, it's harmless unless your what you know your not aloud to do. http://nzfact.co.nz/press_releases/Section92a%20Implementation.pdf

geek_swivel, Feb 18, 4:53 pm

OrTo protest against you ISP, you could cancel your Account.

geek_swivel, Feb 18, 4:56 pm

There is nothing wrong with the intent of the law - I'm personally against any form of illegal downloading and I believe if this could be enforced much more content would be made freely available by artists and others. But the portion of the law that will soon force ISPs to take down internet connections and websites of anyone accused (not convicted) of copyright infringement is just lunacy.

geek_gerty, Feb 18, 5:15 pm

Yeah! cos if it's illegal it must be wrong!

geek_sirfer, Feb 18, 5:27 pm

One perfectly good reason to objectNo matter what your view on copyright, the way this law got passed is TOTALLY unacceptable. Changes to the copyright act went to select committee, where the public got to comment on them. As a result some changes were made, and one of those changes was the removal of 92a on the basis that it was unjust and unworkable. That's what select committees are for. That's how democracy is supposed to work. To have 92a reinserted at the last minute and rushed through parliament in the way that is was done is absolutely disgusting. Even if you agree with section 92a, you should object in principle to how it was passed.

geek_little_egypt, Feb 18, 5:36 pm

"If it's illegal is must be wrong" "corollary: if a clear majority are doing it despite the law, it probably shouldn't have been illegal in the first place"
or perhaps "Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" (Since it seems a lot of these laws and copyright extensions are pushed by the US copyright cartels)

geek_little_egypt, Feb 18, 5:46 pm

, is that all you've got?, ffs, how weak "To have 92a reinserted at the last minute and rushed through parliament in the way that is was done",.. is the way the US run their country,.. the biggest dollar wins,.. the price we will have to pay, to be 'allowed the privilege' of 'playing' with them,.. trade, military involvement, etc,that's at a deeper level,.. this is the thin end,...

geek_kevin16, Feb 18, 5:54 pm

Haha at one of the last quotes in that pdf "Independent estimates suggest up to 80 per cent of internet traffic is generated by P2P file
distribution, the vast bulk of which is unauthorised use of copyrighted music and movies.

If that is true then think of all the money the isp's would loose from cutting off illegal downloading. I guess they would also save money too because investing in new infrastructure is pointless if no is going to use it. Also if you lost 80% of traffic then internet speeds would probably increase throughout the country.

geek_bidda2, Feb 18, 6:02 pm

If my isp disconnects me but im on a plan that i usualy have to be on for another year, will i still have to pay the early disconnection fee?

geek_datguy2, Feb 18, 8:33 pm

Good point - if so you could complain about yourself to get an early disconnect. I'd bet they will still bill you though

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 18, 8:35 pm

Have 'blacked out' my Facebook and so have quite a few of my friends too. And signed the petition. Looks like the groundswell of support is growing.

geek_kylestyle, Feb 18, 8:47 pm

Bidda2 well when Pirate bay was shut down a year or so ago, 75% of Europe Internet traffic stopped. So i'd say they arn't that far out with 80%

geek_swivel, Feb 18, 8:49 pm

Ummm piratebay is still running.

geek_soodanim, Feb 18, 11:43 pm

PirateBay is in court, will take approximately 3 weeks to sort the case against the owners out. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

geek_enigma, Feb 18, 11:51 pm

So why can't we have a 'green out' and free the weed?

geek_cybertao, Feb 19, 8:07 am

Or at least adopt a suitable self sustaining tax generating industry, free up the court system a bit for real crime,...

geek_kevin16, Feb 19, 8:19 am

Regarding P-Bay Those who are in the know, or have been around long enough, will remember the number of times the site has been shut-down and reopened. Not to mention the amount of raids that have been on the ISP' who host their servers over the years,

geek_ratiohack, Feb 19, 8:25 am

Facebook? wf is that? is it a kids thing?

geek_moneyman6, Feb 19, 8:34 am

Its an under-50 thing sorry about you.

geek_mone, Feb 19, 8:44 am

Re # 47 More like an under insecurity thing !

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 19, 9:07 am

I wonder if bandwidth will get cheaper. There is a fixed amount of bandwidth supply available(like power and water). So if there is less demand for it, the price per unit might come down.

geek_cybertao, Feb 19, 9:43 am

You couldbe right but it would be a devastating blow to the economy and small business trying to setup online. It would take us back to 1997

geek_gothicrebel, Feb 19, 9:54 am

Why would it take us back to 1997? If ISPs are making all their money out of illegal data trafficking, tough. That's like saying stopping P, or any other illegal activity, is bad because gangs are supported by it. Dropping the bandwidth usage will free up the net for actual work and provide a boost for parts of the economy that relies on the internet. Unless you mean going back to 1997, where everyone had to buy music and movies.

geek_cybertao, Feb 19, 10:16 am