Safari 4 Public Beta is out for OS X

Safari 4 Public Beta is out for OS X Anyone else using it, i think the UI is another glimpse into the new look for Snow Leopard. Seems to be working well at the moment.

geek_malachiman, Feb 25, 9:34 am

Brilliant, am loving it

geek_spraggles, Feb 25, 12:00 pm

Can't get it to download from Mac site??????

geek_deej5, Feb 25, 12:55 pm

Maybe overloaded?? the cover flow in history is awesome feature, so easy to track back to sites

geek_malachiman, Feb 25, 1:12 pm

I was hanging out for chrome for mac, but now there seem slittle point. The program loads very very fast, as do the webpages. First thing i changed was the homepage to the "top sites"

geek_stefanie5, Feb 25, 3:27 pm

I am not sure i like the top sites feature, but it is growing on me, I haven't seen anything else implemented like this before.

geek_malachiman, Feb 25, 5:20 pm

Just downloaded it and having a play now. But where's Refresh - it's missing from Customize Toolbar?

geek_arthurdent2, Feb 25, 6:20 pm

Dunno yet, haven't quite d/l'd Try [cmd] + r

geek_wogadopolous, Feb 25, 6:23 pm

Reload is in the View menubut not the toolbar -surely it should be in the toobar! What a nuisance if it's not -I use it a lot when bidding on auctions.

geek_arthurdent2, Feb 25, 6:23 pm

Re yes [cmd +r] is there but I liked the circular arrow in the toolbarand I want it back!

geek_arthurdent2, Feb 25, 6:27 pm

It's there, just not as you expect it If you want the button back, file a bug report then uninstall and go back to v3.x.x

geek_wogadopolous, Feb 25, 7:44 pm

Yeah, unified UI for the win. They moved it to the same place as the iPhone. I only downloaded it after I saw this thread. Am enjoying it so far, like the interface. Trying to decide to keep it or stay with FF...

geek_lend2me, Feb 25, 7:47 pm

And worseIt breaks Safari Block and Glims plugins too! Bah, back to the old for me.....

geek_wogadopolous, Feb 25, 7:47 pm

OK, the Reload button is now at the right hand end of the URL bar -I think that will work quite well.

geek_arthurdent2, Feb 25, 7:53 pm

It seems to incorporate some technology that web designers havnt used yet. stuff like that intro might well be possible on many websites. i like it so far. that tab bar is interesting but i can get used to it. i do like having a close button on each tab though, not just the active tab. if this is a stable browser then it might have just pulled me back from opera

geek_morrisman1, Feb 25, 9:51 pm

Just correct myself a close button appears when you hover over the tab. its quite a 'snappy' beast if i might say so!

geek_morrisman1, Feb 25, 9:53 pm

The benchmarks are in Javascript 42x faster than IE7 & 6x faster than IE8

geek_malachiman, Feb 26, 8:55 am

26mb d/load just another bloated browser

geek_stkys, Feb 26, 10:11 am

No one has even come close to Opera yet.

geek_stkys, Feb 26, 10:13 am

This is knocking on opera's door, all it needs is paste and go and its complete. opera has been pretty stagnant for a while. and it miserably fails the acid test

geek_morrisman1, Feb 26, 11:05 am

Very nice This has refined the UI and put the tabs in a more logical place. It took a bit to get used to them on top, but it seems right now. I set Top Sites as the home page, which was pretty good when still half asleep this morning. Certainly is a snappy wee beast. Have caught myself staring at the toolbar, wondering "why isn't this loading?", "Oh, it's loaded!". Especially on Stuff, that was often quite lethargic in the last version. I'm running it on a PowerBook with Tiger and the coverflow bit seems to be missing, but I saw a warning about that when I downloaded it, my graphics might not be good enough, but will look into that when I have more time. But liking this very much.

geek_mrsdoobercoons, Feb 26, 12:11 pm

So far I'm loving it! How do you make Top Sites the home page as there is no URL to put in the preferences?

geek_deej5, Feb 26, 12:28 pm

Top Sites Open Top Sites then go preferences and in general button "Set Current Site"
So far enjoying Safari but much to learn.

geek_tallguy, Feb 26, 2:28 pm

Tried that when I open preferences the "set current site" is dimmed.

geek_deej5, Feb 26, 2:34 pm

, I did it by selecting Top Sites from the "New window open with.." drop down in the General tab in Preferences.

geek_mrsdoobercoons, Feb 26, 3:24 pm

Gotcha! Tanks for that.

geek_deej5, Feb 26, 3:28 pm

Mac is just another windows(darkside) can only run S4 in wine on linux, but it's no different to Konq' anyway.

geek_stkys, Feb 26, 4:03 pm

No mouse gestures where do you store passwords?

geek_stkys, Feb 26, 6:39 pm

HUH ????? .

geek_stkys, Feb 26, 11:24 pm

Huh what?

geek_morrisman1, Feb 27, 8:32 am

Answers to

geek_stkys, Feb 27, 8:43 am

How do you refresh in the new safari? Its seems pretty cool, only prob is can't seem to open my hotmail messages now

geek_kruz23, Feb 27, 9:07 am

See The URL panel for refresh.

geek_deej5, Feb 27, 9:10 am

Too much stuff missing, won't even import bookmarks. They wasted time making Topsites and ignored the important stuff.

geek_stkys, Feb 27, 9:20 am

File / import bookmarks.

geek_deej5, Feb 27, 9:30 am

Don't work export does tho'

geek_stkys, Feb 27, 9:35 am

Still no mouse gestures

geek_stkys, Feb 27, 10:11 am

Won't paste with mouse, ok with keys tho'.

geek_stkys, Feb 27, 10:29 am

Wipe url with left mouse then go to address or go address in new tab

geek_stkys, Feb 27, 10:41 am

Yea i found that pasting bug aswell so i reported it. try out your hotmail, mines pretty much not working at all. it will log in but none of the buttons seem to work. i use the classic interface

geek_morrisman1, Feb 27, 11:12 am