Acer Laptop and DVD drive

Acer Laptop and DVD drive HI Team, please can you help me with a conundrum.
I was helping a friend tonight with an ACER he bought whose disk drive has stopped reading in Vista. It can read in DOS and I was able to explore the files on a disk. It looks okay in device manager. The region code is set. However I can't locate it in the My Computer section and can't access it to play disks from within Vista. He is the Administrator account. Any one know where the setting to fix this issue is.

geek_tammythunder, Mar 11, 9:53 pm

Sorry I meant CD/DVD drive to clarify.

geek_tammythunder, Mar 11, 9:54 pm

hold windows key + R, type compmgmt.msc & press enter. Navigate down to 'Disk Management' Do you see the DVD drive there? Report your findings

geek_lostdude, Mar 11, 9:57 pm

Hi Thanks for quick answer While he took the PC home. I did check that through the old fashioned control panel. (cool shortcut thanks). It did not show. Only two hard drives.

geek_tammythunder, Mar 11, 10:01 pm

What about in Device Manager? Windows Key + R, Type devmgmt.msc, press enter.

geek_lostdude, Mar 11, 10:03 pm

Love your short cuts I am sorry this is memory now as I sent the PC home in disgust (largely at my own failure to fix). It showed in device manager. I attempted to uninstall and reinstall. Disable and enable etc. It comes with the generic drivers. I also made a guess it was recently added software as Nortons my mortal enemy had been added, but that appears not to have been the case. I also wonder if the little ACER widget bar may have malfunctioned and locked the device. But this proved not to be the case.

geek_tammythunder, Mar 11, 10:06 pm

When you say you uninstalled & reinstalled the drive, did you uninstall then restart the PC to let Windows reinstall the drivers? or did you reinstall during the same boot period?

geek_lostdude, Mar 11, 10:15 pm

Event Viewer will give clues as to whether the Drive is kaput or not. Windows Key + R, eventvwr.msc

geek_lostdude, Mar 11, 10:20 pm

Your a life saver Yeah, I did the reboot option allowing window to find it and uninstall it. It appeared to install normally. I will have to check the eventvwr next time I get the laptop off him. It seems to me that software is the likely culprit, but I am not so savvy with Vista and Acer. Thanks heaps for the ideas (and shortcuts :))

geek_tammythunder, Mar 11, 10:26 pm

Find it and install it. Sorry typo

geek_tammythunder, Mar 11, 10:27 pm

All good Glad you got it sorted. NP with the shortcuts either, if you want to know more, just check out the system32 folder in windows. All files ending in .msc will be a shortcut to some windows system application. ;)

geek_lostdude, Mar 11, 11:26 pm