2nd hand ACER laptop, erUBK files on partition

2nd hand ACER lappy, erUBK files on partition 12GB sitting in a partition called D: - & it's not the optical drive. I want to do a clean install of XP. Can I just delete the lot, defrag, then reformat?

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 10:28 am

Yes Not sure what those files are, are you sure it's not a recovery partition (in which case you can restore the laptop without hunting down the drivers)? BTW, Why would you delete and defrag, as reformatting the drive would delete everything anyway?

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 15, 10:36 am

After a quick google Those ARE recovery files. Put them to good use.

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 15, 10:38 am

As above,recovery files,.. how much of the hdd is D: ?, do you need it that big?, or at all?,

geek_kevin16, Mar 15, 10:42 am

They are recovery, I googled too before asking But do I need to recover? It's not my backup, and I'm OK with updating any ACER files needed. Just 12GB is ridiculous - the PC only appeared to have another 8GB of files. I just don't see that I need them. I'm going to rebuild manually my own desktop onto it (not mirror image, as I will delete unneeded crap as I go)

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 10:48 am

Also, despite being able to find them initially After a hidden folder search of D: I saw them all, and copied to my iPod. I now have it if needed by me or the previous owner.

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 10:50 am

K, wellll,in that case, I would probably re-partion the drive when doing the clean install,..

geek_kevin16, Mar 15, 10:54 am

The files aren't THEIR backup files they're the files needed to rebuild the laptop back to factory settings.

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 15, 10:56 am

Sweet! Confirmation of what I was going to do I'm not doing the clean install myself, I'm getting a Geek in to help.

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 10:56 am

12GB to restore factory settings? Seriously? I had to disagree, but the numbers seem ridiculous.

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 10:58 am

If I could open erUBK.wsi, would that do a fresh desktop anyway? I can't open .wsi, and have no discs.

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 10:58 am

Noyou tap one of the F keys at startup to begin the recovery process. Not sure which one it is. Perhaps try the instruction manual on the Acer site.

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 15, 11:04 am

Sweet. Will try googling a manual now. You guys are great!

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 11:12 am

Can someone please read this link - I have and I think it's the stuff I need. http://tiny.cc/CCckx

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 11:18 am

Doing recovery now. Choice!

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 11:22 am

Dunedin ree, thank you! Your tips have given me a fresh notebook. Nice one!

geek_papariccardo, Mar 15, 11:40 am

I read somewhere that erUBK files for Acer laptops (check d:/erUBK_folder/OBR3.ini) and used to contain backups of your data, but that seems to be to weird to be true, I think these files contain factory settings.

Can anyone confirm? Re-build the system in your spare time, maybe? ;)

geek_gwonder, Jan 12, 10:00 am

Wait can i delete them or keep them?

geek_guest, Sep 3, 7:32 pm

I was having problems last year with my older acer laptop running preinstalled xp. Offloaded all my data and kicked off the restore to factory. It locked up and became completely unresponsive after throwing an error message(forgot what it was now), even after restarting the machine. I had to find an xp disk, boot from it and install xp from scratch, then install several hundred updates while they were still available. Needless to say, I don't trust these factory restores. The 9G of erUBK files remained and I deleted, of course. They were useless when needed.

geek_guest, Jun 21, 6:45 am