whats the difference between a ADSL modem

Whats the difference between a ADSL modem and a ADSL router would appreciate any info
The modem is a DSL-302g
The router is a DSL-502g
they appear to do the same job but are they??

geek_vat69, Mar 17, 1:20 pm

Modem is single Pc, Router will do more connections

geek_swivel, Mar 17, 1:24 pm

Sorry for my ignorance and thanks but the router i got given only has 1 ethernet socket as well as my modem

geek_vat69, Mar 17, 1:26 pm

Exactly Doesn't appear to be much difference between them, they both do exactly the same job, same number or ports (one rj45, one USB) etc.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 17, 1:29 pm

Technically a 'router' routes IP traffic. A 'modem' converts baseband digital data to analog ADSL signals. Either of those devices is doing both jobs so can be called a router or a modem.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 17, 1:32 pm

I always thought it was whta said as well until I got our new router and it only has one ethernet port. Our old router had 4.

geek_talka, Mar 17, 1:33 pm

They're merely marketing terms. A modem MOdulates and DEModulates signals from analogue to digital and vice-versa. That's why your dialup adaptors are called MODEMS. Since the term modem had been in the consumers' collective consciousness in terms of internet access for many years the term was given to market broadband TRANSCEIVERS that are used for Point To Point signalling between the home and the exchange using DSL. ROUTER is the marketing name given to multi-port transceivers that also have basic (or advanced depending on make and model) routing features. A router proper, cannot be used to connect to a WAN (in terms of DSL). For that, a transceiver (Gateway, Modem, Router, Modem/Router - call it what you will) is required.

geek_snookim, Mar 17, 1:38 pm

Likewise a transceiver with a built in switch is called a Router for marketing purposes even though it doesn't run an IOS (Internetworking Operating System) or use much in the way of routing and/or routed protocols.

geek_snookim, Mar 17, 1:55 pm

So can i run my laptop and pc into the same ethernet connection through a double adaptor ??

and tahnks for all your help people

geek_vat69, Mar 17, 2:16 pm

You need a 'switch' or 'hub' -- a box with several network sockets on it, you connect one to the 'router' and you can plug computers into the others and they'll all connect to each other.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 17, 2:36 pm

"fast ethernet switch" is what you want "hub" is an older device that was more basic and is still OK for 10mb/s local networking. But you want a fast ethernet switch (100 mb/s) or even gigabit switch these days. DSL connections are headed towards 24 mb/s, so you don't want to slow this down with a 10 mb/s LAN.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 17, 2:55 pm

Effectivly the same unit Combo modem/router being a single usb & ethernet ports supplied. . . http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=67 . . The "G" is the budget version which is also the same units Telecom WAS selling. Eg: The "504g" is a 4 port ethernet network/ router/ modem combo

geek_mrfxit, Mar 17, 2:59 pm

Hubs/switchs "ethernet- network hubs" are basic traffic directors with no ability to "switch" packets of data to specific computers. "Switching fast ethernet hubs" have builtin software (firmware) that can direct data traffic to specific computers without effecting data being sent from other computers on the network at the same time .. . Hub = wait your turn for an exit on a single lane road ./. switching hub = Single lane road with multi exits & a destination manager ./. 4 port port switching hub = 4 lane motorway with multi exits & a destination manager.

geek_mrfxit, Mar 17, 3:18 pm

Better analogy 'switch' -- telephone system, routes multiple calls at the same time. 'hub' -- CB radio, one shared channel, everyone has to wait their turn.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 17, 3:35 pm

LOL Even better

geek_mrfxit, Mar 17, 3:48 pm

One is an older model Other differences may or may not be 4 port versus 1 port.
And so on.......

geek_lythande1, Mar 17, 4:54 pm

The 502 is just a later version of the 302 theres little or no difference really at all.

geek_nice_lady, Mar 17, 5:16 pm

There are real adsl modems - none will work on telecoms network due to the use of PPPoAWhich cannot be carried over ethernet to the computer like the PPPoE or bridged configs used overseas.

Well actually there were some USB modems, but nowdays anything with USB is really a router and the device itself does the PPP and just passes it to the computer as ethernet.

geek_richms, Mar 17, 5:22 pm

Had a few different brand router/modems Through here & apart from faulty 1's, havn't had a problem setting up & connecting to Xtra/telecom BB

geek_mrfxit, Mar 17, 5:56 pm

I tend to think of routers as a PC that running as an internet gateway. Where as a modem is the interface that that gateway would use to connect to the internet. By it's nature a router is more secure as all PC connected to the internet needs to pass through the gateway 1st - ie. all PC connected to the router sit being a NAT layer. On the other hand a modem will connect directly to the PC and anyone from the internet will see that PC directly. Modem tend to use a form of dial-up interfaceRouters just require pluggin in, network card picks up an ip address, DNS server via DHCP and that's it - native support since win9x (maybe even win3x but i've never tried that...) AFAIK.

geek_acura, Mar 17, 6:40 pm

Acura The definition of a 'router' is fairly well defined; it's the hardware that connects one subnet to another. Normally, both the computer and everything else on your side of the connection will be in the same private address range. But the DSL 'router' will have your private network on one side, and connect to your provider's network using real-world IP addresses on the other. That's what makes it a router.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 17, 7:07 pm

So yes, looking back That's a fairly good assessment. The router moves stuff from 192.168.0.x to 118.90.x.x The modem just takes raw bits and turns them into 'analog' signals and back again at the other end. Your ADSL box is doing both those jobs.

geek_little_egypt, Mar 17, 7:12 pm

Agreemy comments were more 'in lay man' terms for no.1 benefit (I hope!! lol)

geek_acura, Mar 17, 7:16 pm