Does anyone have a ACER Aspire 3680 Laptop?

Does anyone have a ACER Aspire 3680 Laptop? I have just had the Hard drive replaced in mine and I bought it off Mum after she had it for a few months - was not aware you had to make your own recovery disc for them Does anyone have a recovery disc that they could copy and send me to save me attempting to rebuild everything from scratch - Happy to pay costs incurred?

geek_mitch1110, Mar 25, 6:34 pm

Anyone or is this a really quiet place *tiptoes to the corner and waits*

geek_mitch1110, Mar 25, 6:45 pm

Did mum have the original hard drive in it? not sure but with some brands the recovery disc are specific to that computer.

geek_make_a_bid, Mar 25, 7:04 pm

&0;you actually need a OS install disc coz the new hard drive has no OS on it?&0;

geek_make_a_bid, Mar 25, 7:06 pm

Yes that is what I need where can I get one from - No Mum has nothing I have searched her house and nothing! I thought I had an XP disc here but cant find it - it used to have Vista Basic on it but not too concerned what goes back on. Is this something I can down load from somewhere and put on?

geek_mitch1110, Mar 25, 7:12 pm

&0;you`ll have to go and buy a new OS and install it onto the blank hard drive.

geek_make_a_bid, Mar 25, 7:19 pm

Does it have a recovery partition? hit alt + F10 at startup and see if it gives you the option to restore it back to factory settings.

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 25, 7:22 pm

No you won't you should still have the license on the bottom of the laptop....Get a copy of the same version and install.

geek_soodanim, Mar 25, 7:22 pm

it's got a new HDD in it? the recovery parition would be on the old HDD?

geek_soodanim, Mar 25, 7:24 pm

That license would be for vista home basic only? so he really needs a copy of vista home basic or he`ll have to buy another OS disc?

geek_make_a_bid, Mar 25, 7:26 pm

Will try the alt F10 but not sure as said above would work due to the new hard drive - so basically I need a copy of Vista Basic?

geek_mitch1110, Mar 25, 7:26 pm

Yes i doubt it will work with any other vista OS. could be wrong tho.

geek_make_a_bid, Mar 25, 7:29 pm

Duh, sorry new HDD means the recovery partition wouldn't be there, my mistake. Was the old drive damaged - could you put it back in and burn the cds/dvds?

geek_dunedin_ree, Mar 25, 7:31 pm

You could check the manufacturer's site Which you'll have to go to anyway to get the drivers and see what's available....If you do use anything other than Vista Basic you WILL need to get a new license.

geek_soodanim, Mar 25, 7:32 pm

Any Vista DVD should do Just use the license code on the bottom of the laptop, and you'll probably have to sort out any needed drivers on your own. Acer's website probably has them all in one place for you. Another option worth looking at is Linux. I use Ubuntu on my Aspire 5000 and it rocks!

geek_little_egypt, Mar 25, 7:34 pm

Thanks guys I will see if the shop I bought it from has a copy I can use if not I will see if I can download one from somewhere - and yes am pretty sure that I will get most of the other lost info from Acer!

geek_mitch1110, Mar 25, 7:39 pm

I got recovery discs with my acer aspire 3004 so maybe dealer can help? :)

geek_browsing, Mar 25, 9:17 pm

Who actually replaced the drive? a tech or Acer themselves? You should have taken it to Acer as they would've restored your system back to default, WITH the OS & all default apps.

geek_lostdude, Mar 25, 9:42 pm

It was done locally at a technician approved by the warranty people, and yes I agree it should have been returned to me with the OS and drivers installed. Will ring the shop tommorrow and see what they say

geek_mitch1110, Mar 25, 11:02 pm

Hmmm Shit service is shit, when replacing the drive the techy that done it should be at least providing you with the drivers, when ever we are forced to replace a drive with a known recovery partition on it (all laptops) we burn off a copy of the corresponding DVD/CD to the license on the bottom of the unit as well as offering to download and provide all the drivers (this costs extra $30) i fail to see how computer stores stay in business giving you back a computer with a blank hard drive esp it it was a warranty repair.

geek_jlt, Mar 26, 12:55 am

Maybe the owner of this laptop would make you a copy of the recovery discs before selling Auction 9646913

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 26, 1:03 am

Good thinking batman I have asked them if they would. SHop I purchased from were no help at all.

geek_mitch1110, Mar 26, 6:33 pm

hey contact me i will help u
i know ur prob i had the same

geek_guest, Jan 14, 8:24 am

shuayb.tulloo@hotmail.com

geek_guest, Jan 14, 8:25 am

go to google

geek_guest, Feb 15, 2:57 pm