Any one here tried a cf to ide adapter

Any one here tried a cf to ide adapter How did you find it for speed, auctions for them state there fast but no compact flash card i know of currently has the read write speeds of a hdd.

geek_got2bin2win, Mar 30, 11:27 am

Depends on what you are using it for - flash memory has much faster seek times than disks, but slower sustained read/write.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 30, 11:36 am

I bechmarked my adapter with a Adata 266x card and got a sustained 30 megabytes/sec write and a sustained read of just over 45 megabytes/sec. I have a slower SSD HDD in my laptop (30 read/20 write) and boot xp in 30 seconds, and happily use it without any noticeable speed difference when compared to my laptop with a 5400rpm HDD.

geek_hdmovies, Mar 30, 11:48 am

I was wanting to use one to replace a mechanical hdd in & arcade machine, as there not as susceptible to shock, so i guess it would be ok for this? was just worried it might be a bit slow reading the image off the card.

geek_got2bin2win, Mar 30, 11:57 am

Yep should be fine. You can get faster than 266x. I think 300x speed is about as fast as you can get currently at the consumer level. Other than that make sure you get one that identifies itself as a fixed disk when used with an IDE adapter. A good site for benchmark info etc: http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/index.html

geek_hdmovies, Mar 30, 12:08 pm

Just remember flash drives aren't too reliable in terms of longevity.

geek_lostdude, Mar 30, 12:51 pm