ADSL splitters

ADSL splitters has anyone had one of these put in and is it worth the expence and make a difference?? TIA.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 1:39 pm

If... you are on ADSL broadband it is required on all jacks in the house. Even the SKY jack if you have sky. If you have 5 or more jacks, you'll need telecom to install a house splitter so you don't need 5 or more separate splitters around the house. Splitter's affects the performance and allows you to use the phone while your on the internet. Hope that helps.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 1:49 pm

Thanks for that but I want to know if it does increase the speed and is worth the cost.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 1:52 pm

Well I don't have one but I wouldn't expect a huge difference unless you have too many things connected to the phone lines/monitored alarm etc. It might help a bit....Why do you ask?

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 1:54 pm

It... doesn't increase the speed but your reliability can fluctuate. Speeds will go up and down which happens when you receive phone calls as it causes interference with the broadband data. Splitters are about $15-$18 ea.. That was when I was on ADSL 4 years ago. Without a splitter you may experience connection drops also. (Which my brother inlaw experienced when they weren't using one)

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 1:56 pm

Splitters aren't filters...splitters are installed on a dedicated jackpoint. Don't get confussled.

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 1:57 pm

Hmmm that didn't make sense i don't know...I am sleeping..lol ssshhhh going now

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 1:58 pm

Yep @ #6 It splits the phone line up.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 1:59 pm

SORRY I might have used the wrong terminology it is a dedicated adsl line and costs about $150 to have installed.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 2:00 pm

Yes I know what you mean #1 is talking about a decidated jackpoint so filters aren't required. Did your brother inlaw require that do you mean?

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 2:03 pm

..... Each splitter YOU can buy and install for yourself costs up to $20 each. THAT IS only if you have less than 5 jacks in your house. If you have more than 5 a telecom techie will install 1 splitter on your phone line directly (which may incur a callout fee which I'm not sure what that is). You should also have got a FREE splitter when you signed up with broadband.(they send you a modem and a free splitter)

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 2:04 pm

..... Oooo my bad. SORRY.. then she'll need a techie to install that. Not sure what the price is. Bro inlaw didn't need that..he had only 2 phone jacks..so we just bought a extra splitter.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 2:05 pm

No that a filter... ....splitters are different terminology and are hardwired into a phone jack.

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 2:05 pm

Having established all that can anyone answer by query??.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 2:06 pm

Lol see #4....why do you think you need one?

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 2:07 pm

... Oh ok.. They always say splitter to me lol. I would get that Splitter (dedicated jackpoint) put in.. for reliable speeds and also so you don't experience connection drop outs.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 2:07 pm

You shouldn't with filters either... lol unless.... never mind

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 2:09 pm

Theoretically you shouldn't.. but my bro inlaw did..which was very annoying. I guess it depends where you are and how close you are to an exchange.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 2:10 pm

You're confussling me... lol you said they were BEFORE they got the filters (what you call splitters) which would have been why

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 2:14 pm

Back to Original Question by Casey64 In simple english, you require(suppose) to have splitter(device hardwired into one particular jack and you can access ADSL only from that jack, tech needed to install this) if you are using 5 or more phone jacks or got monitored alarm(or its connected to phone line regardless if its getting monitored or not) or you are in right at the end of 5Km range from exchance.. All splitter does is separate ADSL frequency from normal talking frequency and hence you get better service and in distance relation it makes connection more stable(related to dissconnections and good speed)..
Conclusion: If you don't have any sort of alarm system and you are well in range of 5km from exchange(say 2 or 3 or even 4km), you should not spend $150 for splitter. I am 4.5km and getting good as speed without any splitter. Just use Filters($20 each and you plug them before plugging any phone device, no tech needed) on all the tel devices and you should be all good.

geek_niwa.auckland, Apr 8, 2:17 pm

So sorry.. Before they had a FILTER, on a jack. Filter died so they were using net with out it..and experienced bad quality.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 2:17 pm

That'll explain it... #20 that's already been explained..lol I have asked why they think they need one.

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 2:20 pm

Lifesteala is talking a load of crap why do you think you need a splitter #1?

geek__whatever, Apr 8, 2:20 pm

..... I apologize for confusing everyone.

geek_lifesteala, Apr 8, 2:30 pm

I have a dedicated phone jack and find it much better than having line filters. I had frequent drop outs with filters and with a dedicated jack i havent had a problem. it increased the line speed and reliability. Its worth it in my opinion. And when there is a problem you dont need to go through all the iscolate the line crap

geek_shrapz, Apr 8, 3:48 pm

Thank you all and thank you Shapz you told me what I was asking - I know all that other stuff I just wanted to know if it was worth doing - sorry for the late reply but I have been having trouble getting a connection to answer - hence the question.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 6:45 pm

My input if you can afford it its worth it if not get a filter.

geek_flewy, Apr 8, 6:48 pm

So you HAVE ruled out everything else.... The filters? Any faulty equipment using the line? The lines been checked? You've tried a different modem? Cos if you haven't then it may not help at all..and which ISP are you with?

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 6:53 pm

Admittedly I have thought about it as someone mentioned above, there's less to troubleshoot if things do go lala. Noone can really tell until you do it.

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 6:58 pm

Yeah yeah I have been on BB for a couple of years and now for some unknown reason it is all crap - got 2 modems done all the filter checks bla bla had the techo here who says the line is good and suggests the splitter so I wanted to know from someone who has done it if it is worth the money.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 7:17 pm

Forgot I am with the best ISP of course - Xnet.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 7:19 pm

How far from the exchange are you? ...

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 7:38 pm

I am 4.5k's from the exchange however it has worked just fine and I was getting 3 to 3.5meg and now when it is connected around 2.5meg or less.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 7:52 pm

I dunno weren't other xnet users complaining about slow speeds of late? Seems it goes around which ISP is slowing down.

geek_soodanim, Apr 8, 7:55 pm

I can live with the speed but I would like it all the time - it is the dropping off that is the prob.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 7:58 pm

The splitters only gonna help if the issue lies somewhere in your house. If the drop outs are being caused by something else further down the line then its gonna be a waste of money. How often do the drop outs occur. Do you know if Xnet have had Telecom put you on a line analyzer to determine the cause of the drop outs?

geek_rhys.m, Apr 8, 8:09 pm

#36 apparently so and Telecom say the line is good and the tech showed me on his laptop that there was no earthing so I can only try it otherwise I am shelling out each month for bugger all.

geek_casey46, Apr 8, 8:13 pm

Initially filters, then I installed a splitter that I bought at JA Russell. Before starting I rebooted the adsl modem, noted the connection speed, attenuation etc. Then took the modem and laptop down to the basement where the phone line comes in, connected it there, no other wires. Tested again. Actually tested it in every phone socket, with every combination of phone and filter. Then I installed the splitter in the basement, tested the connection, ran a new set of cat5 back upstairs (hey, it was a rainy day). My conclusion is: old phone wiring that has been worked over will give you a slower connection and more attenuation than a genuine splitter with a new run of good cable. Any Joe can walk in off the street and buy a splitter and suitable cable, telephone wiring is not difficult or risky.

geek_gyrogearloose, Apr 8, 11:04 pm

Hmmm... So was the speed increase worth the outlay? What were your before / after speeds?

I can see a similar rainy day project in the making here. My line clarity and speed have never quite been the same since I misjudged a few shots with a staple-gun in the basement while modifying the route of the old copper line system a little.

geek_peg228, Apr 8, 11:21 pm