changing modems on telstraclear?

Changing modems on telstraclear? i was given a wireless thompson TG585v7, pretty sure it was a telecom one. Can i set it up for my Telstraclear ADSL connection?

geek_mocha77, May 9, 8:02 am

If you can change user credentials then yes, but this is the question given Telecom have hardwired this in the non wireless Thomson. I suspect that credentials can be changed via CLI (command line interface) but don't have one to test.

geek_spyware, May 9, 8:32 am

Or would running it just as a router through the modem work? or is that defeating the purpose?

geek_mocha77, May 9, 9:00 am

You can run it as an access point and switch only but NOT as a router, as it can only route between WAN and LAN interfaces.

geek_spyware, May 9, 9:34 am

Ok, now i am lost. should i ring customer service and see what they have to say? only i just bought a wireless card for my pc just for this.

geek_mocha77, May 9, 10:00 am

Telstraclear customer service won't have clue. They aren't really even technical people. Simply download pdf manual for Thomson and connect to it via Telnet and see if you can change credentials that way, if not by the GUI. BUT if you cannot change the credentials then it cannot be used as a router, but only as an access point and switch with another adsl modem connecting to its LAN port.

geek_spyware, May 9, 10:06 am

Thanks for all your help, i am going to go try that now. cheers!

geek_mocha77, May 9, 10:29 am