ADSL2 query...

ADSL2 queryIf Chorus switched the cabinet across the road (that I am connected to), to ADSL2does my ISP (Voda), have to do anything else for me to get it? This has happened and my speeds are the same. (I was talking to the guy before he did it).

geek_nzmu, May 18, 10:18 am

You should be able to get a adsl2 plan from your isp, & enjoy the adsl2 speeds i would think. As the cabinet across the road from me just got upgraded a few months back but im on normal broadband & it seems abit faster for me, but im the first house connected to the roadside cabinet in this area tho & no houses on that side for about 400m+ each way :) so i would assume aslong as the roadside cabinet has been upgraded to it you can get it regardless of isp.

geek_mysteryman007, May 18, 10:24 am

That's what I was thinkingbut it hasn't happened lol. I'm wondering if it has something to do with Voda 'releasing' the 'red network' in chunks and turing them on when ready. Strange. Only other thing I can think of is that the switchover was postponed - the guy didn't do it.

geek_nzmu, May 18, 10:29 am

Yeah hard to say since its two different companys telecom did our cabinet upgrade as my net was all over the place for 2 weeks till they finished it. & i talked to the guy & he said "you should enjoy it when we finish, as you are the first house on the cabinet in this suburb" & im with xtra so id expect it would make a difference for me.

geek_mysteryman007, May 18, 10:42 am

Lol - that's the same as this guy said. no enjoyment here yet. Might give voda a call later.

geek_nzmu, May 18, 10:44 am

Lol i wonder if they are told to give that reply to nosey internet junkys? hahaha :P

geek_mysteryman007, May 18, 10:48 am

Hmmm lol maybe *imagines their team meeting when the memo came out*

geek_nzmu, May 18, 10:49 am

Haha well it worked for me lol. I put up with daily cutoffs & crap speed for 2 weeks anticipating my newly gained net speed lol. Only thing it did in the end was get me to my cap quicker :( but i have a adsl2 modem just waiting for the prices of the plans to drop abit before taking the plunge.

geek_mysteryman007, May 18, 10:52 am

Just a thought are you on the adsl 2 plans ??. and do you have an adsl 2 modem.

geek_swivel, May 18, 10:53 am

Hi swivel, no and yesthey haven't notified me yet as I believe they do when the changeover happens (email to say welcome to rednetwork, your plan is now...), but I have heard that speed increases have been noticed before notification. I have the std DSL-502T which I believe is adsl2 capable.

geek_nzmu, May 18, 10:57 am

Also, I keep checking their redzone map, my area is supposed to be 'soon'.

geek_nzmu, May 18, 11:01 am

Hmm. Aren't Telecom keeping those roadside cabinets for their own customers, and the ADSL2+ others get are from the Exchange itself? Correct, or not?

geek_badcam, May 18, 11:57 am

I think the likes of slingshot etc that are still buying from TC get it, But the others have to put their own stuff in the exchanges.

geek_swivel, May 18, 12:07 pm

Thanks for your postsI didn't get around to phoning todaymaybe tomorrow lol.

geek_nzmu, May 18, 5:21 pm