PC to TV VGA Adapter

PC to TV VGA Adapter Hi, I have a plasma TV, a panasonic th42pz850 and i bought a vga-vga to connect my pc to tv. The vga cable doesn't fit on this tv and just realised that I need another adapter.. something about a Mini D Sub 15 pin adapter I think? Can anyone shed me some light on this.. not sure what this adapter may be called. Thanks

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 12:46 pm

Does your pc have a dvi port? would be far better to go from dvi to hdmi.

geek_flewy, May 24, 12:49 pm

Nope :( Only a VGA. bought a VGA Splitter so I can keep monitor connected too..

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 12:52 pm

In the manual it looks like just a normal d sub connection.

geek_flewy, May 24, 12:56 pm

Your looking at the (if necessary) adapter right?

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 12:59 pm

Yeah TV is DSUB 15 which is normal size. Is your pc mini??

geek_flewy, May 24, 1:00 pm

Dunno..never knew there were different sizes lol. .. talk on msn?

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:04 pm

I see on the wensite it says MINI DSUB but couldnt see that in the manual. Looks like you'll neeed the adapter.

geek_flewy, May 24, 1:05 pm

Wen =web you know

geek_flewy, May 24, 1:06 pm

Yep..but do u what the adapter is? ..

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:06 pm

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-VGA Does it look like this?

geek_cybertao, May 24, 1:08 pm

Nope - on tv, it has 3 lines of 5 pins. the middle line offsets to the right. and on the vga cable the middle line of pins offsets to the left. the height of tv input seems to be very slightly narrower in height..i think

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:18 pm

Http://www.panasonic.co.nz/userfiles/File/Manuals/ page 46

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:19 pm

Sorry http://www.panasonic.co.nz/userfiles/File/Manuals/TH-42_50PZ850AZ.PDF

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:22 pm

You on laptop or desktop

geek_flewy, May 24, 1:32 pm

desktop. Video Card is Radeon X1600 PROno on board graphics.

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:35 pm

LifestealaThat TV uses a standard VGA input - not adapters necessary! Did you try turning the plug around?

geek_flick13, May 24, 1:44 pm

Hi, if I turn it around, the shape of the actual plug becomes upside down against port on tv..

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 1:48 pm

Also.. it may possible go upside down but the outside metal bit seems too thick so it doesn't go in

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:03 pm

Got photos of the two.

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:07 pm

So you've got VGA ports on the TV and PC do they both look like this?[ http://tinyurl.com/qcdxsl ] To connect the two together, you have a VGA cable with male adaptors at both ends, like this?[ http://tinyurl.com/pjerc3 ] Correct?

geek_cybertao, May 24, 2:13 pm

No.. The port on tv is a Male port so it needs a Female VGA plugVGA cable is a Male to Female cable..

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:18 pm

You sure port on tv should be female.

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:20 pm

It's a male..:) I see 15 pins comin out from tv ;).. taking photo as I reply..

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:21 pm

Photos http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/17/94620717_full.jpg http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/37/94620737_full.jpg

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:28 pm

Exactly! From that photo - fuzzy as it is - it is a female port you have - and you need a male-male cable (all ports on tv's are female). The photo of the cable you are showing is a female end - you need a male end!

geek_flick13, May 24, 2:30 pm

And moreyou don't see 15 pins coming out of the tv at all - you see 15 holes!

geek_flick13, May 24, 2:30 pm

I think the tv already has the adapter in? shouldnt stick out like that.

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:33 pm

But!!!??? If I get a male-male cable.. the male end has pins coming outthe port on tv has pins coming out.. How does it plug in together? The port on tv does not have holes where the pins go in.. its pins coming out

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:33 pm

Its not holes flick.

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:34 pm

So then why does the female ned not fit looks like it should perfect.

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:35 pm

That's what I thought too :( I don't know...

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:36 pm

It is on the picture I"m looking atWhat's more - I have a friend with this EXACT same TV - and I hooked his up personally. Take a clearer picture - because the one you have posted is holes - NOT pins.

geek_flick13, May 24, 2:37 pm

In fact - humour me! Take the other end of the cable you have (male end that you have plugged into the computer) - and see if it goes in - bet you'll be surprised!

geek_flick13, May 24, 2:37 pm

OMG!!! You forced me to move my tv out of the corner and now I see holes! From the angle I was lookin at made it look like damn pins!! GRR.. Thanks :(.. I feel so dumb.. LOL...I retire!!!!

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:44 pm

Added to votemenot.co.nz for posterity.

geek_cybertao, May 24, 2:46 pm

LOL Gee thanks! :P .

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:50 pm

For real steala LOL the pic looked like pins to me too ha ha ha

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:50 pm

Yeah.. See :(.. it's not just me LOL

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:51 pm

Now that i got off my ass and squinted i can see that its holes too :)

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:52 pm

The problem was.. I have a window which is just behind the tv so the glare made it look like frickn pins! arghhh.. LOL

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:52 pm

Magic of smoke and mirrors eh LMAO

geek_flewy, May 24, 2:53 pm

Illusions I tell ya.

geek_lifesteala, May 24, 2:53 pm

Magic of smokeThe lazy stoner couldn't be arsed pulling his TV forward a bit. Then he got confused and just wasted all his time on the internet.

geek_cybertao, May 24, 2:55 pm