Help Acer aspire one....

Help Acer aspire oneCan any body help we have an acer aspire one...when its turned on the HDD light is not coming on and windows is not starting can anyone tell me whats wrong???WE have followed all the instructionsin the manualand nothing we have done has helped.

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 8:51 pm

what were you last doing with it?

geek_0800xford, Jul 3, 8:53 pm

before you mess with it, is it new and or under warranty?

geek_0800xford, Jul 3, 8:56 pm

Quite common I have had about 4 of these for repair with the same problem. This has fixed them in all cases.. http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

geek_d.snell, Jul 3, 9:02 pm

Its still under warrentywe closed it before we went out it was working then.
After coming back home when we went to turn the computer back on...it would not work

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 9:02 pm

Okay i am stuck atthe frist step can someone help ..

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 9:20 pm

I dot understand this First format an USB stick with FAT.

Download the latest BIOS, and put both FLASHIT.EXE and the BIOS file in the root directory of the stick. Rename the BIOS file to ZG5IA32.FD, that's important. Do not remove the USB stick.

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 9:20 pm

Put the usb stick into going pc right click on it and click format. Change the file system to FAT. (if available?)

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 9:23 pm

Sorry.. located under "my computer"

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 9:24 pm

Ok i have clickedon format and its says fat32 ???

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 9:25 pm

Get a USB stick and format it your desktop PC. Open my computer and right click the flashdrive and choose format from the menu. In the file system box, choose FAT as the type and click start. To download the BIOS, follow the link on the page or go directly here http://sites.google.com/site/maclesblogspotcom/BIOS/ZG5_3310.zip?attredirects=0

geek_d.snell, Jul 3, 9:27 pm

Thenright click on the drive again and rename to that weird set of numbers. (can also be changed when formatting). Very important - Dont interupt the next step as there is no easy way to fix a corrupt BIOS!

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 9:28 pm

Can you select the file system to highlight FAT not Fat32?

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 9:29 pm

Once you have downloaded the file, unzip it and copy flashit.exe and ZG5_3310.fd onto the flash drive. Then on the flashdrive, rename ZG5_3310.fd to ZG5IA32.FD

geek_d.snell, Jul 3, 9:31 pm

Take it to the shop if under warranty.

geek_stkys, Jul 3, 9:39 pm

So do i now connct theusb stick to the acer? ..

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 10:23 pm

Yes and follow the next step precisly. shouldn't take to long for that process

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 10:31 pm

THe power button is not flashing evn though we have followed all the steps how long should we wait/ ?

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 10:32 pm

Just to confirm Did you have the function and escape key held down while pressing the power button, and kept it down for a while?? Sometimes you will get some kind of sign to let it go like a beep or lights will start

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 10:36 pm

Yes we had it held down...then it says to presss the start button once then release the function and escape button?????

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 10:41 pm

The FN+Esc will need to be held down for a small period of time. Follow this - hold down fn+esc and tap power key with buttons still held down. Keep those keys down till lights flash or 30 seconds(which ever comes first). When they flash, release fn+esc and press the power button again. Is this what you had done?

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 10:45 pm

Yes it is...would it be safe to turn off the lap top now since nothing has happened and start again?

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 10:50 pm

??worth a go

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 10:51 pm

Okthanks you gr8...

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 10:52 pm

WE get to this point . Press the power button once..once we do this the power button stops flashing.???

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 11:02 pm

Just wait for a bit .

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 11:04 pm

I just realised also that the file on the usb drive needed to be renamed...not the drive itself. Hopefully you followed d.snell instructions and not mine.

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 11:07 pm

The bios file yes.we renamed it

geek_atilasgirl, Jul 3, 11:14 pm

OkIm not sure exactly why it is not initiating the recovery. Usually the only things to stop it would be incorrect file system, invalid file name, no power or there is another issue. It may pay to go over everything and just make sure everything is exact.

geek_harrispc, Jul 3, 11:17 pm

On some models you don't need to push the power button a second time, just power up holding down fn Esc then release and wait for about 2 or 3 minutes..

geek_d.snell, Jul 3, 11:52 pm

It also helps if your usb stick has a LED on it, you will then see it flickering if it has booted from the flash drive..

geek_d.snell, Jul 3, 11:54 pm