Ubuntu 64bit?

Ubuntu 64bit? Is it worth it? What problems are there with software etc?

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 11:00 am

?none

geek_flewy, Aug 2, 11:05 am

Totally worth it the ability to address over 4G ram, possibly a slight performance improvement, and no problems with software -at all-. 64bit ubuntu still includes 32bit libraries so it can still run 32bit code where necessary.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 11:09 am

Ok sweet il install it now. Great read here, on 32bit vs 64 bit OS, windows vista, windows 7 and ubuntu.
http://tinyurl.com/c8dnrh

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 11:20 am

I don't think their would be any slight performance increase in the code. Unless you are using math heavy applications that take advantage of 64-bit. The address sizes are doubled, so compiled code works out to be about 50% larger. That's more storage space, more data to load off the harddrive, more data to store in RAM that the CPU gets to via the bus(working at the same speed), and less usable code that can fit on the CPU's cache. If anything, 64-bit is slightly slower unless you *need* 64-bit and *need* more than 4GB of address space. Minor points either way, I use 32-bit because I don't need anything 64-bit offers.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 11:21 am

The difference is really small but 64bit does have a slight (5-10%) advantage for most things. If you're doing web/email/WP you'll never see it. If you're ripping CDs and DVDs and doing video editing you'll probably still never see it, but it will actually be just a tiny bit faster ;) You'll get a couple more FPS in games too.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 11:39 am

(_!_) Host/Kernel/OS "Kanotix64Lenny" running Linux 2.6.30-10-generic x86_64 [ Kanotix Excalibur 20090611-00:27 ]
CPU Info (1) Intel Core2 6300 @ clocked at [ 1866.510 MHz ]
(2) Intel Core2 6300 @ clocked at [ 1866.510 MHz ]
Videocard nVidia NV44 [GeForce 7100 GS] X.Org 1.4.2 [ 1440x900 @60hz ]
Network cards Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller, at port: e800
Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, at port: c800
Techsan Electronics Co B2C2 FlexCopII DVB chip / Technisat SkyStar2 DVB card, at port: ec00
Processes 143 | Uptime 2days | Memory 922.3/3924.5MB | HDD Generic IC1210 MS,Generic IC1210 MMC/SD,Generic IC1210 SM,ATA ST3500320AS,ATA ST3160811AS,Generic IC1210 CF Size 660GB (15%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce 7100 GS/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 2.1.2 NVIDIA 190.18 | Client Shell | Infobash v2.67.1

geek_intrade, Aug 2, 11:39 am

Hi, intrade. Nice to see you're still around, wondered where you got to.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 11:41 am

"Ubuntu 9.04: 32-bit vs 64-bit benchmarks" fwiw: http://is.gd/1YeR8

geek_rua69, Aug 2, 11:43 am

.. these numbers based on.. various published benchmarks (mostly phoronix)

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 11:44 am

As that article states"large chunks of Ubuntu are compiled for Intel 386 chips, for example. But x86-64 effectively provides a reset: x86-64 chips are guaranteed to include all of the i686 functionality plus SSE support, along with more processor registers, which means any program compiled for 64-bit is guaranteed to be optimised for your chip." That's a fair and true statement, when dealing with binaries from the repository. I compile WINE, Pov-Ray, and mplayer/mencoder from source with optimisation flags for my system. A better comparison would have been compiling 32-bit binaries with optimizations such as -march=i686 for comparison.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 11:53 am

Good point cyberthe comparison is really "i386" vs. "X86_64" .. It's be interesting to see a true i686 vs x86_64 benchmark. But then there isn't an i686 Ubuntu so it's not really useful. You have to go with the choices you're given.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 11:59 am

From my experince with linuxfromscratch system stuff like glibc *hate* anything other than the standard flags. My attempts to optimize failed miserably, I couldn't even get glibc to compile for i686(I was building to run on a PII) instead of i486. Someone recently told me(so it's hearsay) that their is no point or performance increase to be gained anyway. I wonder how/if other distributions compile the base system for anything other than i486.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 12:10 pm

My 32-bit Debian tells me that gcc is hosted and targeted for 'i486-linux-gnu'. Anyone running a 64-bit distro care to run 'gcc -v'?

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 12:13 pm

Ok I got flash working, but I cant get ANY sound. at all. Has anyone got some helpful instructions that actually work?

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 12:43 pm

What's your hardware? .

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 12:45 pm

Laptop is HP Pavilion DV6 - 1204AX how do I check what soundcard I have?

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 12:47 pm

I'm about to google itbut if you run 'lspci' from the command line, it will tell you what hardware is on the PCI bus.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 12:48 pm

This look right? Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 12:50 pm

Or this? 01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc R700 Audio Device [Radeon HD 4000 Series]

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 12:50 pm

The first one (Azalia) is your soundcard. .

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 12:59 pm

Ok any suggestions? .

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:01 pm

Open up a terminal and run sudo alsaconf make sure you have all programs that use sound closed

geek_wickedtrader, Aug 2, 1:02 pm

Sorry it keeps saying not found will this work http://tinyurl.com/mtbbcx

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:04 pm

Ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1073090 I came across this thread...

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 1:09 pm

Ok I will try that. thanks

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:15 pm

Ok bit of a linux noob here lol how do I "gzip/tarring the files"

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:32 pm

From the command lineenter the folder that you have the archive and 'tar -xzf *filename*.tar.gz'. Or you should be able to just open it in the graphical archive manager and extract the folder somewhere.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 1:35 pm

Ok. (sorry for all the questions!) but what next? I dont really understand the next bit

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:37 pm

Then (also from the command-line) 'cd' into the folder you just unextracted and run the commands listed. Hope it works for you, seems to be some positive feedback in that thread, but their are other similar solutions listed in it as well.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 1:38 pm

Ok um I feel really dumbbut I have extracted it to the desktop, and what should the 'cd' command read?

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:44 pm

From the command line you need to'cd ~/Desktop/alsa-driver-snapshot' (or whatever the folder you just created by unzipping is called). Then you should be able to run the commands listed from inside that folder.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 1:50 pm

'~' is a short cut to your home folder and should be '/home/yourusername/' a users desktop is just a folder called 'Desktop' inside that. You can see what folder you are currently in at the command line by typing 'pwd' (print working directory). Not that you *need* to know, but it's educational to.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 1:53 pm

Ok thankyou so much for your help, i have never used command line before and I will post back after it is finished whether it is working or not.

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 1:57 pm

Oksudo vim /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base that comes up with command not found. should i be using gedit instead? and what is sans quotes?

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 2:00 pm

Oh whoops sans means without lol

geek_darkstar09, Aug 2, 2:02 pm

Sans quotes means leave out the ' marks - it's only there to make clear where the command you are typing starts and finishes :)

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 2, 2:02 pm

Gcc -v on Jaunty i86_64 Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README­.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --program-suffix=-4.3 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-mpfr --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 2:06 pm

Cheers, egypt. Darkstar, you can use 'sudo gedit' instead. It would be a lot easier for you (and I use it myself).

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 2:41 pm

Or sudo nano nano's a pretty nice editor, and depending where you are you may not always have a GUI available (eg you can't use gedit if you're remote admining a server over a putty login)

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 3:04 pm

Yeah, that's a good suggestion as well. I use often use nano when in a command line only interface. I know the basics of vi and get around okay with it, but have never bothered to learn it in depth and frequently trip over my fingers while using it.

geek_cybertao, Aug 2, 3:12 pm

Vi is a bloody horrible editor to learn I know it's pretty powerful once you know it, but it's awful to learn. Not my preferred editor but I know a few of the commands and can get by with it at a pinch, since it's the only editor likely to be available even in single-user mode on just about any *nix-based OS.

geek_little_egypt, Aug 2, 3:24 pm