iPod 16Gb 1G - Alternative to iTunes?

IPod 16Gb 1G - Alternative to iTunes? Does anyone know of a compatible software option to replace the need for iTunes? I have previously found software that will deal with MP3's only but not Video. It was well over a year since I last looked and I have only come across 'Bootloader' software. Is there anything 'freely' available out there? I am reluctant to try and 'jailbreak' the OS because a friend totally stuffed his iPod Touch doing this some time ago. Any ideas out there? iTunes is fine but it does restrict you somewhat.

geek_sighkick, Aug 21, 2:13 pm

Sharepod's the one sighkick. It doesn't even rely on iTunes to run for an iPod. But it does with the iPod Touch.

geek_paddaricko, Aug 21, 2:16 pm

Thanks paddarickoSo to use Sharepod with my iPod Touch, I first have to download and install iTunes? I assume that Sharepod removes DRM and other restrictions from the files?

geek_sighkick, Aug 21, 2:23 pm

Yeah for the iPod Touch it's reliant on iTunes to be installed to work.Not so for a basic iPod. I dunno what DRM is. All I know is you can put anything and everything on it through sharepod and it's far easier to use than that f'n iTunes.

geek_paddaricko, Aug 21, 2:30 pm

There are other iTunes alterantives out there, but in my experience http://www.getsharepod.com/ is the most reliable and easiest to use.

geek_paddaricko, Aug 21, 2:32 pm

Yeah, figured that out just nowDownloading iTunes 8 - pity you have to install that bloated software first for the Touch though. I think the DRM stops you sharing your music and video with other iPod users, sorta a software 'lock'. I had found a music only software ages ago but it wouldn't do video.

geek_sighkick, Aug 21, 2:35 pm

Yeah that iTunes is a huge download ay! How many mb's is their latest release. Yep, no problem putting vids on via Sharepod. As easy as dragging & dropping into a playlist.

geek_paddaricko, Aug 21, 2:39 pm

6There is no DRM unless you have old stuff purchased from iTunes (before iTunes plus)

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 21, 2:55 pm

Purchase? I was given a music download coupon by a friend but never used it. Just downloaded iTunes Ver.8 76,150Kb! iTunes is a pain trying to Sync all the time - I want Full control with content, just like more basic mp3 players. Just found a work-around for the syncing problem but hopefully won't need to go anywhere near it now with Sharepod. UPDATE: Sharepod now installed and working a treat. Thanks ;)

geek_sighkick, Aug 21, 3:08 pm

iTunes is fine for getting music onto the iPod (just turn on Manually manage my music). You need to use Sharepod (or something similar) to get it off again if you wan't it to retain filenames.

geek_vtecintegra, Aug 21, 3:14 pm

Yeah vtecintegra - came across that info about 'Manually manage my music' in the help section of Sharepod website. There was a hint how to stop the darn thing syncing as you turn iTunes on then how you set the option to manually manage. Hopefully I won't need that now. Maybe I will use the thing more now :)

geek_sighkick, Aug 21, 3:20 pm