How to unblock internet access

How to unblock internet access Hi, have recently posted about wireless connection problem but on the laptop I have now found a link to the old owners work's website which sort of works (i.e. I can't do much on there because I don't have the password but it does tell me that the password is wrong). So I now think that I am connected to the internet but all sites other than this one are blocked somehow. I can't find how to solve this - any help please? Thanks.

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:09 pm

another thread? where? maybe it's a proxy setting, workplaces often use a proxy.

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:11 pm

the other thread: http://is.gd/3VG5t

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:12 pm

The old owners website may be a copy on the computer itself. Check if you are online by pinging a major website. Type ping stuff.co.nz in a cmd box (Start, Run, cmd, enter, then ping stuff.co.nz)

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 4, 6:13 pm

Don't know much about pinging but I'd say it looks like I'm online - it says sent = 4 received = 4 lost = 0 is there any other info you want me to report from that?

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:16 pm

OK, you are online can you open stuff.co.nz in your browser? (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari or Chrome).

geek_r.g.nixon, Oct 4, 6:19 pm

type this: ping /? then press enter

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:19 pm

Someone on the other thread said something about browser proxy settings but I hadn't got that far with trying things yet - where do I find and reset that? Thanks guys.

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:20 pm

No. I have tried heaps of common websites google, trademe etc to make sure it wasn't just a website down - same thing with stuff.co.nz. Only browser on laptop is IE6.

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:22 pm

[firefox] tools options advanced settings

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:22 pm

[file] "work offline" isn't ticked?

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:23 pm

Rofl love being right. I'd forget MSIE cos it's a sucky browser anyhow. Put firefox on a USB drive and install it on the laptop and see if that works.

geek_little_egypt, Oct 4, 6:25 pm

no had already checked that but thanks - it probably is going to be somthing unbelievably simple lol.

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:25 pm

msie 6?! :o

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:27 pm

Yes i know I don't think this thing has been online for years lol so I expect there is heaps of updating I'll need to do but thats ok as long as i can get online to do it lol

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:28 pm

[msie] tools internet options connections, what does it say there?

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:28 pm

Nothing on the first screen where else do you mean ?

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:35 pm

On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings. Look in Proxies. What is it set to?

geek_dunedin_ree, Oct 4, 6:42 pm

Thank you all and i'm online - had a proxy server that i have unticked. Awesome guys thanks so much!!!

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:49 pm

aah LAN settings, i missed that bit =p

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:52 pm

A little double check another thank you posted from said annoying laptop lol. One last question, a little unrelated. Now I'm online and going to update the hell out of this thing am I right in thinking XP SP3 slows some machines down? Do I need to bear any specs in mind before deciding to do this? Thanks again guys.

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:55 pm

it's hard when you have to remember back to the days that you actually had IE on your computer ;)

geek_dunedin_ree, Oct 4, 6:56 pm

sp3 leave it until LAST then download the .iso over night http://is.gd/3VKbX burn it to disc then install it, it's huge. system requirements are on that page somewhere too. ree: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/the-little-river-band/reminiscing.html ha ha =p

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 6:59 pm

ETrust antivirus I've never heard of it - its obviously out of date - worth keeping?

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 7:05 pm

avira's 'antivir', 'avg' or 'avast are what most people in here suggest user's may like.

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 7:09 pm

Yep avira man here too think i'll go with what i know lol

geek_smarteevia, Oct 4, 7:13 pm

sp3 update, the initial download [if you do it via win updates] is about 5 MB? then when you shut down to install the updates it sits there and downloads about 300MB. grab the iso from a nice quick connection, then install it.

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 7:16 pm

Iso? There's an EXE which is the full update, no need to burn a CD for it. get is here [http://is.gd/3VMiC] (note the size, 316.4M, this is not the stub installer)

geek_little_egypt, Oct 4, 7:21 pm

In 99% of cases sp3 is GOOD.. .

geek_drcspy, Oct 4, 7:47 pm

dang, two faux pas in one thread from me! good night ladies and germs XD i have that file on disc and it has this splash image when i insert the disc, i just forgot that it wasn't an iso. the disc suggestion is to get it from elsewhere, then bring it home [dude has dialup]

geek_0800xford, Oct 4, 7:50 pm