How to unblock internet access Page 1 / 2

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:09am
How to unblock internet access Hi, have recently posted about wireless connection problem but on the laptop I have now found a link to the old owners work's website which sort of works (i.e. I can't do much on there because I don't have the password but it does tell me that the password is wrong). So I now think that I am connected to the internet but all sites other than this one are blocked somehow. I can't find how to solve this - any help please? Thanks.

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:11am
another thread? where? maybe it's a proxy setting, workplaces often use a proxy.

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:12am
the other thread: http://is.gd/3VG5t

r.g.nixon, Oct 4, 5:13am
The old owners website may be a copy on the computer itself. Check if you are online by pinging a major website. Type ping stuff.co.nz in a cmd box (Start, Run, cmd, enter, then ping stuff.co.nz)

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:16am
Don't know much about pinging but I'd say it looks like I'm online - it says sent = 4 received = 4 lost = 0 is there any other info you want me to report from that?

r.g.nixon, Oct 4, 5:19am
OK, you are online can you open stuff.co.nz in your browser? (IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari or Chrome).

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:19am
type this: ping /? then press enter

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:20am
Someone on the other thread said something about browser proxy settings but I hadn't got that far with trying things yet - where do I find and reset that? Thanks guys.

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:22am
No. I have tried heaps of common websites google, trademe etc to make sure it wasn't just a website down - same thing with stuff.co.nz. Only browser on laptop is IE6.

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:22am
[firefox] tools options advanced settings

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:23am
[file] "work offline" isn't ticked?

little_egypt, Oct 4, 5:25am
Rofl love being right. I'd forget MSIE cos it's a sucky browser anyhow. Put firefox on a USB drive and install it on the laptop and see if that works.

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:25am
no had already checked that but thanks - it probably is going to be somthing unbelievably simple lol.

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:27am
msie 6?! :o

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:28am
Yes i know I don't think this thing has been online for years lol so I expect there is heaps of updating I'll need to do but thats ok as long as i can get online to do it lol

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:28am
[msie] tools internet options connections, what does it say there?

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:35am
Nothing on the first screen where else do you mean ?

dunedin_ree, Oct 4, 5:42am
On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options, click the Connections tab, and then click LAN Settings. Look in Proxies. What is it set to?

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:49am
Thank you all and i'm online - had a proxy server that i have unticked. Awesome guys thanks so much!!!

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:52am
aah LAN settings, i missed that bit =p

smarteevia, Oct 4, 5:55am
A little double check another thank you posted from said annoying laptop lol. One last question, a little unrelated. Now I'm online and going to update the hell out of this thing am I right in thinking XP SP3 slows some machines down? Do I need to bear any specs in mind before deciding to do this? Thanks again guys.

dunedin_ree, Oct 4, 5:56am
it's hard when you have to remember back to the days that you actually had IE on your computer ;)

0800xford, Oct 4, 5:59am
sp3 leave it until LAST then download the .iso over night http://is.gd/3VKbX burn it to disc then install it, it's huge. system requirements are on that page somewhere too. ree: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/the-little-river-band/reminiscing.html ha ha =p

smarteevia, Oct 4, 6:05am
ETrust antivirus I've never heard of it - its obviously out of date - worth keeping?

0800xford, Oct 4, 6:09am
avira's 'antivir', 'avg' or 'avast are what most people in here suggest user's may like.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)