Broadband, Telecom vs Vodafone Page 1 / 2

juger0, Dec 22, 5:07am
Hi there!

I'm trying to find out the download and upload speeds of these 2 providers.

We're currently with Telecom (xtra) and thinking of moving to Vodafone but would appreciate hearing from others that may have switched and how you found the speed etc?

Thanks.

thusisperfectio, Dec 22, 5:10am
I hate Vodafone with a passion since they took over Ihug all the plans have become crappy and the worst thing is their highest Data allowance is 40Gig.

mford007, Dec 22, 5:18am
+1
I changed to orcon

pyro_sniper2002, Dec 22, 5:52am
Orcon have just put in a nasty little sandvine.

mr-word, Dec 22, 9:19am
Vodafone are scum don't go to them.

mone, Dec 22, 12:19pm
Im with vodafone on one property and telecom on the other. Vodafone is really fast, and they do not throttle my speed like what Telecom did to me.

wpcnz, Dec 22, 9:53pm
We were with ihug. . With voda Im pretty sure we cant even change broadband plan without getting homeline as well. Quite a pain. I'm on one of the OLD plans with peak/offpeak data allowances. . too lazy to switch ISPs though :S :S I was going to switch to Telecom though

juger0, Dec 22, 10:56pm
Hmmm, still unsure. Vodafone are offering the free MySky and they are $10 per month cheaper (for 20gb) than Telecom (10gb) and it all includes homeline etc. . . I just don't know how they rate speed wise as an ISP. If it's through Ihug weren't they pretty good or have Vodafone messed it all up?

jay-can, Dec 23, 12:45am
vodafone are wholesale off telecom, so most likley same speeds right! ? lol. . anyway telecom 10gb comes with free calling nationally, and 10bux extra free calling to aus. . so depends on your needs. .

jaja6, Dec 23, 1:03am
I am switching from Vodafone to Inspire early next year. Inspire was top ISP by Consumer Institute, in term ofspeed and customer satisfaction. My choice: $58 for 20G, no fixed line.

sky-dragon, Dec 23, 1:07am
I think slingshot got good deals on their Next big thing for example next big thing #1 you get 5gb free offpeack, homephone line. http://slingshot.co.nz/NextBigThingOne. aspx

mone, Dec 23, 1:31am
Um no. Unbundling in 2006 means need not buy and resell the service itself, accepting any constraints imposed by the carrier, but can, through its own equipment, provide a different service. For example, early ADSL2+ (an ADSL upgrade offering up to 25Mbit/s in one direction), or an uncapped broadband line, or even faster two-way DSL variants such as SHDSL (symmetric high-bit-rate DSL) and VDSL (very-high-speed DSL) could be on offer"

jay-can, Dec 23, 1:44am
woop! okay. . well all i know is at the end, they're using telecom's lines, and vodafone would be wholesaling a majority of their customers except auckland where they have the rednetwork (untill certain areas are cabinetised for adsl2

mone, Dec 23, 5:24am
And that explains why Vodafone has been offering prices below that of Telecom for so long

thusisperfectio, Dec 24, 6:21am
I assumed they just resold Telecom stuff except the Redzone? Anyway, pretty much every ISP offers better deals than Telecom.

willz29, Dec 25, 3:03am
Yup I took up this deal with the ultimate pack. they pay the $15 rental for the mysky HDI unit. Speeds are good for me, and my ping has lowered from what it was on Telecom which is awesome for my PS3 online gaming!

maxi090605, Dec 25, 10:19am
That is actually true. Their deal is the best. Enjoying it for 3 weeks now!

jay-can, Dec 25, 9:20pm
at the end, its who has the best customer service! ?

sky-dragon, Dec 25, 10:28pm
False. why would u need good customer service when you can have a ISP that the line performs good and its good competitive price and no complains when you dont really need to call customer service so dont care about customer service care more about the reliability and the deal and performance etc is more vital!

macush, Dec 25, 10:47pm
Vodaphone are S**T! ! ! I am with them and the first year or so it was fine, now it is pathetically slow and every time I call to complain I just get some smart arse who is rude and does not give a s**t!

jay-can, Dec 25, 11:41pm
skydragon - well if you read above post - their goes one example about customer service. . you could be the lucky 1/10, 000 customers that dont need to call for services and support

sky-dragon, Dec 25, 11:51pm
well if you know what you doing and dont have trouble with your pc why would you need customer service. last time i remember i called customer service was when I signed up lol. also if you have problems you can email them

rd1rutland, Dec 26, 4:51am
Could someone please suggest the best value for wireless broadband, only need it for 5mths, not sure which is the best option and value for money

princelee, Dec 26, 5:18am
if your in an unbundled area then orcon will give you the best speed, i get 18mbps here and if i had gone with any other isp i would of got around 4 to 5mbps.

sky-dragon, Dec 26, 5:24am
Go with Woosh. or get the vodem from Vodafone

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)