Wireless Internet, access Local and Internet.

My laptops works fine on my own personal router, BUT at work, I can only 'access local'. Both laptops have been XP, and now Vista. Now and then it flashes up as 'local and internet', but most of the time only displays 'local'. I can always receive email, but can never send email, or surf the web. What can I do to access local AND internet? ? ? Many thanks.

geek_gaba1, Dec 16, 9:26 pm

Contact your network administrator.

geek_dunedin_ree, Dec 16, 9:27 pm

I have this issue also at some other locations. . . . . . .

i've found that for some reason and I dont know why if I go into the properties of the wireless connection and change the security from tkip to aes then 'ok' it then wait a sec it'll disconnect *usually* but other times it'll connect ok. . . . . . . . .

if it disconnects then I'll go back and change it back again and then it *usually* connects

pain in the ass

geek_drcspy, Dec 16, 9:29 pm

But it's not my router at work to be changing settings, its used by many others and I'm the only one with the issue. #2, network administrator is? ? ? xnet, vista (sorry, not sure who you mean)

geek_gaba1, Dec 16, 9:44 pm

The person at your work that looks after the router = network administrator.

I'm not sure about your work, but at mine you can't breeze in and plug in whatever you like without someone doing their magical network administratory things.

geek_dunedin_ree, Dec 16, 9:46 pm

Who is our internet provider at home and who is the provider at work

geek_macuser, Dec 16, 9:49 pm

It's unsecured, and boss told me I should be able to do whatever I like. Tried to use the repair setting, but it didn't receive a ping. What's that mean. Even turned off firewall temporarily, but that never worked either. Could it be 'mac addressed, and they've forgotten to tell me? ? ? ?

geek_gaba1, Dec 16, 10:00 pm

And you ran ipconfig /all (both while connected at home and at work) and posted results here. Or you simply didn't have a clue what to do? ?

geek_spyware, Dec 16, 10:07 pm

i'ts not the router you'll be changin the settings on it's your computer

geek_drcspy, Dec 16, 10:09 pm

Obviously sending email may not work unless you use appropriate smtp server or an smtp server requiring authentication.

geek_spyware, Dec 16, 10:09 pm

Obviously sending email may not work unless you use appropriate smtp server or an smtp server requiring authentication.

geek_spyware, Dec 16, 10:09 pm

try what I've suggested because in one particular situation for ME
it was ME that set up the router which I *sometimes* have trouble connecting to. . . . . so I can assure you that in my case it's NOT 'mac filtered' or any other esoteric problem which can be sorted by a 'network administrator' . . . . . . . I"M the admin. And that particular one is secured. . . . . . not 'open'. . . . . .

geek_drcspy, Dec 16, 10:11 pm

its a very common and annoying vista issue, usually the easiest fix is to configure your wireless connection to manual ip settings rather than using dhcp.

geek_princelee, Dec 16, 10:18 pm

"local" may simply mean that assigned DNS server is router address rather than public addresses.

geek_spyware, Dec 16, 10:30 pm