Missing COMS ports on Acer Aspire 3680

Any advice would be much appreciated :)I have a laptop - wooohooo, but can't get it connected - boohoo lolThe problem is that the com ports are missing, I've researched it on the net (desktop) and can't find any at all in the hardware place and searching on control panel through system, to device manager - they are completely missing, same as the modem really. Is there any way around this or do I need to take it in to a comp place and get them to fix it? And if I do - any idea on how much they will charge? Many thanks

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:13 pm

connected to what

geek_d.laidlaw, Dec 15, 3:17 pm

Check in the BIOS to see if they are there - could be there and disabled.

geek_r.g.nixon, Dec 15, 3:17 pm

I don't think it has a dial up modem or any serial ports (both are obsolete technology).

If you want to use dial up you'll need to purchase a modem compatible with the system, either USB or one that will fit the PC card slot

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 15, 3:20 pm

connected to the net as the coms ports aren't there. Thank goodness I have the old comp still lol. I have checked in the BIOS r. g and nope not there either. I checked in device manager and got the hidden ones up - but they weren't the com ones.

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:22 pm

connect how. . . dial up or broadband. . . .

geek_soodanim, Dec 15, 3:25 pm

ahhh so that will be why there's no modem in the device manager place then. It does have an ethernet connection at the back of the laptop, which is good as that's what I use on the desktop so don't need dial-up stuff, it's just that the COMS ports aren't anywhere to be found so can't do anything lol

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:25 pm

You don't need com ports to access your network/broadband connection via ethernet.

geek_d.laidlaw, Dec 15, 3:26 pm

By COM port do you mean 'ethernet adapter'. Because they are quite different things.

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 15, 3:27 pm

oh your flippen kidding me d. laidlaw? I've been trying to sort the damn thing since Sunday lol. I got the damn thing as it's far more versatile than the desktop and I'm kinda at that stage now with the rescue work I do - but honestly, I felt like throwing the thing in the bin the last few days. I guess I call the people I have the net account with then?

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:29 pm

OK, so what modem do you have?

geek_soodanim, Dec 15, 3:31 pm

No, he's not kidding.

geek_r.g.nixon, Dec 15, 3:32 pm

In the device manager it has the ethernet connections showing there in other I think it is, but on my desktop it doesn't show the ethernet connection but does the ports (com & LPT). I've been trying to load a modem through the Phone and Modem area in control panel and each time I've tried to pick a modem, it won't go any further as the ports aren't in the next part of the set-up. Sorry for waffling so much - just trying to give all the info adn been kinda freaking out it's going to be a huge cost to fix as I don't have that sort of money.

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:33 pm

ummm - the laptop doesn't have one in the device manager, although it has a network thingee if that makes sense. But I'm with woosh and we use a router as there's two comps in the house so the house modem is a woosh one.

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:35 pm

You don't usually need to do anything other than connect the modem to the computer via Ethernet cable.

geek_soodanim, Dec 15, 3:36 pm

And thank you for all the posts - I hope I didn't sound rude to d. laidlaws post - I didn't mean to, just more shocked that I don't need the damn things showing.

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:37 pm

What version of windows are you running. Have you got a cable plugged into the ethernet port? If so then go to control panel, network connections and it should show a connection for local network?

geek_d.laidlaw, Dec 15, 3:37 pm

opps - wireless - I there's different thoughts on Woosh, but apart from loosing the signal ever now and then - it's been really good :)

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:38 pm

it has windows xp home on it now - but I also have a disc with xp professional I can use if needed. I don't think I have had it set-up like that as I assumed I needed the ports and modem loaded. I can do that now using the desktop ethernet and if that fails come connect it back into this one so I can post lol

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:41 pm

You will need a cable connected somewhere.

geek_d.laidlaw, Dec 15, 3:42 pm

inside the laptop?

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:45 pm

Instructions are here: https://www. woosh.com/ContentClient/Pdf/Guide/ModemQuickRefe
renceGuide. pdf

It looks like the ethernet connection isn't a normal one and you'll still need to install drivers for the modem (it will have come with a CD).

geek_vtecintegra, Dec 15, 3:49 pm

to the laptop into a port, does it connect via ethernet or USB the wireless modem?

geek_soodanim, Dec 15, 3:49 pm

I use a ethernet to the modem now soodanim if that helps lolThe laptop has just an ethernet connection. Not the phone one and it has 3 USB ones. Yup vtecintegra I do have the disc - will see what happens again I guess lolThanks for the instructions - will pull them up on here so I can refer to them. Back soon hopefully lol

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 3:56 pm

OK - so that's not working lol - Can anyone remember the http://192. 168 etc where you go on as admin and do some of this: Enter "admin" as the "User Name" and "1234" as "Password" then click "OK"
10) Click "Wizard Setup"
11) In "Host Name" enter your user-id - as supplied by your ISP (for your user name make sure you include your ISP's domain as part of it. I wqonder if I can get in that part if it will let me do what I need. I remember I did that when I signed up with wooshm, but apart from waiting on hold for 20 mins - thought I'd try here lol

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 7:34 pm

what's the make/model of router . . . . . . . . . . .

geek_drcspy, Dec 15, 7:43 pm

hiya, just had a look and its netgear wgr614 v7

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 7:51 pm

You only do that the first time you connect to your ISP. It has no relevance when connecting another PC to router at all.

geek_spyware, Dec 15, 7:52 pm

oh great lolThen I'm stuffed as according to woosh cd the RASPPPOE won't install and when I downloaded one from my working comp and went to install that a driver is missing lolThink I need to call a comp place and take it in.

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 8:01 pm

Thank you everyone for all your help though, I do appreciate it :)

geek_tanzychins, Dec 15, 8:12 pm

Windows XP Instructions
1) Go to 'Start' > 'Run' and type in 'ncpa. cpl', and click 'OK'
2) Go to 'File' > 'New connection', and then click 'Next'
3) Select 'Connect to the Internet', and click 'Next', then select 'Set up my connection manually' and click 'Next'
4) Select 'Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password', and click 'Next'
5) Type in 'Woosh PPPoE' as the ISP Name, then click 'Next'
6) If you are asked about Connection Availability, it is recommended you select 'Anyone's use', then click 'Next'
7) Type in your full username (including '@woosh.co.nz'), and your password (twice to confirm it) and click 'Next'
NOTE: If this will not be the usual method of connecting to the Internet, untick 'Use this account name and password when anyone connects' and 'Make this the default Internet connection'
8) Click 'Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop' then click 'Finish'
9) In 'Network Connections', right-click the new 'Woosh PPPoE' connection and click 'Properties'
NOTE: Go to 'Start' > 'Run', type 'ncpa. cpl' and click 'OK' if this is not still open
10) Go to the 'Options' tab, and from the box beside 'Idle time before hanging up' choose 'Never', and tick the 'Redial if line is dropped' box
11) Download this set_pppoe_mtu. reg file and save it to your Desktop. Once downloaded, double-click it, and choose 'Yes' when asked, then 'OK'

geek_spyware, Dec 15, 8:36 pm

Just me again lol - thanks sypware - I did try that last night and nothing so I've been looking in the yellow pages to see who fixes things and I'll give someone a call and see if they can give me a price (estimate) on how much it will cost to fix as something is definately missing which is stopping it from working. Many thanks again to everyone who posted :)

geek_tanzychins, Dec 16, 2:17 pm