Access to the Internet

This has just started happening. I click on the Internet logo, starts to load but goes to Internet Explorer and only half loads - just sits there. So I click on close and then get the message saying 'is not responding - end now'. I then load Internet again and this time it will load fine going to extra and my yahoo home page. This happens now everytime I go to the Internet. Any ideas why this is now happening? TIA

geek_kran32, Dec 30, 2:53 pm

it could just be internet explorer being a pig, or are you using paradise?
try firefox

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 3:05 pm

I am using Explorer. Will it just right itself or do I need to do something? A bit of a nuisance more than anything.

geek_kran32, Dec 30, 3:06 pm

you could reset it to it's defaults

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 3:07 pm

My Explorer does similar first thing a lot of the time, loads home page then freezes all you can do is minimise it, doesnt let you exit , I load up another and use it fine with the one sitting in the tray until I restart, retarded!

geek_billybob57, Dec 30, 3:09 pm

Sorry to dive in but IE does something very similar (other browsers don't) and we're on paradise. What's the story with paradise?

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 3:10 pm

Got one frozen in the tray at the moment LOL, I'm Xtra so don't thing isp problem

geek_billybob57, Dec 30, 3:10 pm

are you guys using "shortcuts" on your desktop?

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 3:25 pm

what happens for me is that homepage is set to TM. Fire up IE from quicklaunch bar and IE will return standard page with 'IE is unable to display this page, etc. '. F5 to refresh or access TM from Favourites and page loads fine. Same thing happens when opening any link from within an email and always have to F5. I use Maxthon so doesn't bother me but 'er indoors refuses to discard IE and always wants to know what I'm doing to fix it!

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 3:31 pm

gentlemen: clear your cache and cookies [and history]
grab ccleaner, it's easier that way

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 3:34 pm

Could just try setting the home page to "about:blank" without quotes. This will just load a blank page on startup.

geek_mark.p, Dec 30, 3:36 pm

Internet logo? Didn't know it had a logo.

geek_mone, Dec 30, 3:45 pm

My Linux box has one of those too.

geek_mark.p, Dec 30, 3:49 pm

rightio. Cleared history, cookies, etc and ran CCleaner and same behaviour remains. BTW, this only happens with the first link - all subsequently accessed inks open first time which is kind of odd. Cheers

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 4:30 pm

hopefully you ticked the appropriate boxes. . .
try another 'launcher' like your start menu or type "iexplore" into you run box [press windows logo key and r for that]

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 4:37 pm

I ticked the following boxes in CCleaner:

Under IE: temp internet files, cookies, history, index. dat files
Under System: temp files, clipboard, memory dumps, chkdsk file fragments, windows log files
Under Advanced: old prefetch data, IIS log files

I also did a registry clean and left all tick boxes ticked.

I've tried Run / iexplore and starting IE from Start / Programs with same results.

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 4:46 pm

have you reset it or tried it in 'no add-on mode'?

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 4:47 pm

about:blank

geek_mark.p, Dec 30, 4:50 pm

How do I get it to run in 'no add-on mode' as I can't find a control that seems to do this? Also, I'm a bit cautious about a complete reset - will this blow away anything important ot be a pain to get back to a friendly state? The Google toolbar is installed if that's relevant. Cheers

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 4:53 pm

sorry, tried this and same behaviour when accessing link from email

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 4:55 pm

Thats cool.

geek_mark.p, Dec 30, 4:59 pm

Start your internet explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Programs > Manage add-ons.
Left side of page, go down and under "Show:" change it from "Currently loaded add-ons" to "All add-ons".
Now if you left click on any item on the list you can enable or disable it - now be careful, you don't want to disable your anti-virus, sun microsystems (java) or anything from microsoft corporation.

There is also "Run with-out permission" option in the list, i wouldn't change anything in here, unless you know exactly what each process is.

Also you and i have google toolbar, > on the "Spanner" on the goole toolbar,
Check that the "Use Google site:" is set to "New Zealand (.co.nz)

Next > General, i bet a holden that the "Send usage statistics to Google" has a green tick in the box.
Un-tick it and > Save at the bottom right of the page.

I've set my homepage to trademe/messageboard/computer and videogames.
The less interactive fmv and images to download, the quicker you can get on-line, then go to your normal yahoo or xtra page.

geek_murph2068594, Dec 30, 5:35 pm

start/all programs/acessories/system tools is there you should find teh ie no addons icon
what version of IE?
And yes the google toolbar can be revelent, especially if you are running IE8. Make sure you have the latest version for your version of IE Google toolbar is the debbil

geek_brentry, Dec 30, 5:35 pm

i laughed aloud!

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 5:36 pm

:-)

geek_brentry, Dec 30, 5:37 pm

de debil ith ebil

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 5:38 pm

And google's first rule is to do no evil. . . . and then they built the google toolbar . . .
I spent a few weeks for a corporate creating install scripts for IE8 with new versions of java/flash etc, so learnt a lot on the IE support forums about addins. . . . . .

geek_brentry, Dec 30, 5:46 pm

medium/hot lamb madras is wicked, masala is good too, toolbars i'm not so fond of.

geek_0800xford, Dec 30, 5:50 pm

You owe me a Holden, murph! Actually, I'd previously disabled the Google Toolbar in a half-hearted attempt to fix this but have never enabled that particular feature.

Basically, should I just follow a process of elimination to find the potentially troublesome add-on? I'll see if it works.

To brentry - I'm on IE8 and there doesn't appear to be a 'no add-on' option under Accessories / System.

Many thanks all and will report back.

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 6:24 pm

Mine's a chicken vindaloo [english hot] and I can personally live without toolbars too

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 6:26 pm

I'm on Windows XP and it is there

all it does is run
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore. exe"-extoff

try that in a command prompt

definitely disable all your addons and check if it solved teh problem, then enable one ata time

geek_brentry, Dec 30, 7:40 pm

XP here too. OK, I disabled each enabled add-on in turn (except MS and Sun ones) and restarted IE. Then re-enabled that one and disabled the next and repeated. Same behaviour throughout. I also completely uninstalled the google toolbar for good measure.

I then ran IE with extensions off from Start / Run and it couldn't get to the home page at all. So, still no joy and would be grateful for any other suggestions. As I say, it's more of a minor pain than a big deal but would be good to find out why it's doing this

geek_brummoi, Dec 30, 8:48 pm

please excuse the bump - any final suggestions before I sigh and give up on fixing this? Cheers

geek_brummoi, Dec 31, 4:48 pm

Ok, try >Tools >Internet Options, under Browsing History >Delete, there will be three items automatically ticked >Delete.
Now turn off your computer, not restart, full shut down.
Wait a few seconds and now turn it back on.

If you manage to get back on-line, download this:http://www. digitalsupporttech.com/en-us/download. htm

Also, when was the last time you went to windows update, there will be security updates for ie8 if you haven't enabled the auto-update feature. link http://update. microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default. aspx? ln
=en-us

If i win lotto, here's your holden: 261448192

geek_murph2068594, Jan 2, 9:02 am

#2 has the best solution. Try Firefox.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 2, 9:14 am

#34 After you install PC Fixer, click on "Checkup" it will scan your computer for errors and connect to the digital support server.
Press Ctr Alt Del to bring up the task manager, click on "networking" will let you see what's happening.

When the scan is complete, you will have a list of items to fix.
Put a green tick next to what you want fixed, or click on "more detail" to find out what each process does.
When finished click "Apply Selected>>".

geek_murph2068594, Jan 2, 9:24 am