Can I download AntiVir onto a USB stick?

Hi, got afriend who has XP, and no antivirus. . . lol. . . and he is on dial up as he is out in the wops with no broadband available. Can I download AntiVir to a usb stick and plug it in at his end to install on his comp? Otherwise it will be some time to download, as in hours. . . . or is this not possible? Thanks very much for any help.

geek_ambo11, Jan 1, 2:48 pm

yes, you can do this.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 2:59 pm

Yes no problem, would recommend Avast tho as you can then download the updates as well. Otherwise you will find a hefty 35mb download at his end to update the latest definitions!

geek_eevent, Jan 1, 3:06 pm

you can manually update avira's antivir too.

geek_0800xford, Jan 1, 3:07 pm

Thanks guys for the info, much appreciated.

geek_ambo11, Jan 1, 3:24 pm

you can download or copy ANY file onto a usb stick

geek_drcspy, Jan 1, 3:31 pm

Panda Cloud Antivirus - no updates required.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 1, 6:20 pm

Still uses internet connection though, right? In fact it requires it. Data is still data no matter what you call it.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 1, 6:30 pm

Yes it uses the internet - haven't checked how much it uses yet.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 1, 6:36 pm

A quick read of Panda reviews and comments suggests that it's really designed for always-on broadband, not dialup.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 1, 6:54 pm

Or for use on a usb stick which is what the OP wants.

geek_mark.p, Jan 1, 7:07 pm

I read it as d/load & install, rather than use, from a USB stick.

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 1, 7:10 pm

I was commenting on its suitability for dial-up.

geek_dunedin_ree, Jan 1, 7:12 pm

My bad.

geek_mark.p, Jan 1, 7:20 pm

Could be OK for dial-up.

"with Panda??ôs implementation of cloud-scanning there are locally installed technologies (heuristics, cache of cloud-detection, goodware cache, etc. ) that are able to detect a good deal of malware threats and known good files. All these files are not checked against the cloud. Think about it, once you install the cloud-based antivirus, how many new programs do you install on your computer every day? Not that many, right? Once installed, only new programs copied or trying to run on your computer are checked against the cloud (if they are not detected first by the local technologies). From our beta testing phase we have seen that on average Panda CloudAntivirus only consumes a few KB of bandwidth per day, less than the typical traditional signature updates. "

geek_r.g.nixon, Jan 1, 7:27 pm