Technical Help Needed 2 re access denied

This is carrying on from the previous thread regarding access of files. Windows was reinstalled (Not formatted). Windows originally said it wont delete the files. But they are no good to me anyway, as I cannot access 100's of family pix that are over 1mb each. Anything under 1mb it will open such as temp internet files. But anything over 1mb it opens and says No Preview available. I did have the problem of not being able to acces them after windows was reloaded. The folders came up access denied. Im past that though. I logged in as admin and changed security. If you can help, you would help me out of the dog box tonight when my misses finds out all the family photos are gone. haha. im laughing now... .

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 12:26 pm

this thread ==> http://is. gd/6Lz9g

the information is contiguous, perhaps just repost the above in that thread and let this one die.

geek_0800xford, Jan 22, 12:51 pm

Re installin windows does wipe your files to say sorry even if you didnt format. Unless u did a repair install. Also no need for 2 threads

geek_johnf_456, Jan 22, 12:53 pm

You're stupid and wrong.

If you press F11 and windows gives you the option of "Fixing up" windows and says that this "will not remove any of your documents or settings" (which is an option provided on most machines nowdays, and what the OP seems to be saying is the message they got) then I think it's fairly safe to say that it should not have removed the documents and settings.

Also the OP describes changing permission on an obviously not deleted folder, and getting "Access denied" on files which doesn't mean that they've been deleted, it means they have the wrong permission or ownership.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 1:04 pm

except, now i can access the files, but they do not open up and work at all. Eg a JPG says No preview available. The image wont work. Just like the rest of the files including avi files and some web design work I was working on. time for the technician?

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 1:07 pm

Im not stupid, i was reading the other thread. Which has a different explanation of what he did. Depends how you read it.

geek_johnf_456, Jan 22, 1:09 pm

As for the original question; I've long ago given up trying to get Windows to do anything useful. Get an Ubuntu CD (download it from Ubuntu on another computer, or find out if there are any LUG's or Linux geeks in your neighbourhood) and access the windows drive. It'll be in the "Places" menu and browsing it in Linux is pretty similar to browsing it in Windows Explorer; plug in any external USB drive and just drag and drop the files you want to an external drive, Linux will strip out all of the permission and ownership in the process so you should have no trouble reading the files from the external drive back into Windows.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 1:10 pm

Also your stupid, "fixing up windows" is a also repair install. Its just not called a repair install, but essentialy it is a repair install. Has it repairs the windows files and windows issues without loosing user data generally(simplified).

So pouring the kettle black mate. Course its not going to remove data dohhh! But to me its a repair install (has its essentially repairing your installation), and that's what most people on this message boards would think.

Fixing up windows is a REPAIR INSTALL and that's would most tech would refer to it as. Not a noob term like fixing up windows.

geek_johnf_456, Jan 22, 1:18 pm

Agree with this, linux is great for solving a lot of winblows related issues. Download linux burn it to a disk, boot it up live. Has above said move them to a external drive then move them back off the external/memory key what eva once your done.

Saves a lot of messing around.

geek_johnf_456, Jan 22, 1:21 pm

hey thanks guys, ill try that instead. im guessing i have two OS loaded on, the current one so i dont lose the files and a linux OS? sorry for being ingornat, but could save me some painful hours if i dont ask. :)

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 1:40 pm

You dont need to install Linux its just a live disk.

http://tinyurl.com/yhb8pez

When you boot up the disk, use "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer"

This way it will not touch or wipe windows at all. After you done in ubuntu reboot and pc is back to normal. Make sure you take the disc out.

http://tinyurl.com/22epmn : Great guide

geek_johnf_456, Jan 22, 1:47 pm

cheers. most helpful :) the download is 680mb and its 54%. Im waiting for it to finish. thanks for ya time people

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 2:00 pm

Have a look at Unlocker but download to memory stick because any
data written to the HD may overwrite what you want back. Even just
rebooting dose that, Ecuse moi, I'm aware programmers know that
already without being told. It's a useful 'access denied' repossessor.
Please guys quit the shit, I see you have john, lets try & be constructive. (or Instructive& helpful). This IS YOUR MODERATOR
WRITING as 0800 has done another runner. Or its Vote, vote.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 2:07 pm

btw "stupid and wrong" is one of Linus's favourite expressions. Don't take it too seriously.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 2:59 pm

I no longer have the problem of access denied. I have tried unlocker and no luck. Its just a big problem for me as some jpg files i really want I cant get to open. Some are of my son on his first two hours ever. I guess tonight ill be on the couch - my misses will be spewing. The problem is the files apear blank but stil retain the original file size. I talked to a mate into Linux and he said John and little egypt could be right with the access denied problem, but it wont help trying to get success in opening the photos. Is there a program I can download, even a shareware one. Im keen to get even ten photos back. Its not just happening to photos, its vids and emails and flash files etc etc.

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 3:04 pm

I just about guarantee that the problem is still just Windows being an ass. Don't give up yet.

If the photos also appear blank in Linux then that's a bigger problem but still might not be hopeless. There's a program "ntfsundelete" on the ubuntu CD (it's part of the NTFS tools package which is included so that the installer can resize windows if necessary) which is a very powerful file recovery tool. You might need a linux geek to help you with this though, it's a fairly complicated program.

There's also 'recoverjpeg' (not on the CD but you can install it temporarily on the live CD over your internet connection) which will ignore filesystem problems and rebuild lost jpegs directly from whatever data it can find. If recoverjpeg can't find them, THEN you have a problem.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 3:14 pm

now thats the best advice i have had so far. thanks for being direct and not piss taking.

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 3:23 pm

have just downloaded it and burning begin now! big file...

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 3:23 pm

ok, now my disk is 700mb and the extracted size is 722mb. what is safe to delete?

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 3:30 pm

"You're doing it wrong! "

https://help. ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 3:34 pm

man im a tool. . haha

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 3:36 pm

If it helps, almost EVERYONE does the same thing the first time...

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 3:44 pm

Yeah egypt is correct on all counts, I've used Ubuntu to repair Windows XP once and it worked magic. There's afile joiner program
which splits downloads & rejoins them, one thing I never recovered&
haven't missed til now. It can span CD's so I'll have a search (research) for it now lol.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 6:04 pm

yeah im doing a memory test now and its takin about an hour nearly. i only have 1gb ram in it lol I will give it a go soon, stay tuned people... thanks for ya advice so far

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 6:14 pm

ok little egypt, im stuffed now i think. i did what ya said, downloaded ubuntu and out it on CD. Put it in my computer and got the menu on screen. i selected the top option to try it and the computer rebooted. after doing its count thing at the start of turning on, the computer promptly shut down. my boot order is with the cd first. is this right?

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 6:25 pm

http://tinyurl.com/yf7b2tt

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 6:31 pm

Hey brickie, you need Fast Defrag for that RAM.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 6:46 pm

tried that program, tried about ten of them from download.com and none work. I know a little bit about computers and this is def the hardest thing i have seen or come accross. i just worked out of the hell to get linux on, and trying to find the right tool now inside. do you know anything about it?

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 6:49 pm

now i found the files i wanted to keep in Ubuntu and they stil dont work. says could not load image with a red circle and a white minus in it. failed to open input stream for file. IM SCREWED.

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 6:53 pm

Question nobody seems to have asked; what was the problem that caused you to repair/reinstall windows in the first place? Perhaps the files were already destroyed before you even started? (I have encountered this only once; there's at least one very nasty virus out there that overwrites all of your documents with lots of rude words. . unfortunately no way to recover unless you have backups of everything)

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 7:09 pm

Have you tried Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. This will scan a selected drive and show you all the files that are on, locked or not, deleted or not. I used this to recover 160Gig of data from my laptop drive, including precious photos of my granddaughter.

It can take quite a while, but if you are going to be sleeping on the couch anyway ... . .

Lesson learned. Back up all irreplaceable photos etc.

Hope this helps

geek_lanternfish, Jan 22, 7:12 pm

thanks will try that one. I think this is probably the most complex type of recovery. Most programs havent been successful so far. . tried about ten...

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 7:20 pm

I use Norton System Works, it has tools for all occasions, especially
File Recover. I'm pissed it won't compute in Vista & I'm not getting
another that will for $100 or whatever since my last 2 copies were
$20 each on TM.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 7:29 pm

Also:! hiren 10 download on rapidshare search engine -Hirens Boot CD 10 1 LegendW Com , 4KaTe CoM Hirens 10 02 , Hirens 10 02 , Rapidshare Files.
www.filestube.com/h/hiren+10
Or theres a Free Download if you Google Hirens10, lots of them (even
pirate sites) because it's banned officially & the sites go down faster than you can say "Full Toolkitfor everything, . from everybody" LOL.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 7:41 pm

Like so:http://tinyurl.com/yhuvn8g&-
amp; so:Hiren's Boot CD 10 » Megaupload Rapidshare Download Crack Serial (3rd on the list)

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 7:49 pm

Or you could use UltimateBootCD which has the same basic functionality and isn't full of pirated software.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 7:54 pm

tried both of them still not working. thanks for advice though. sick of me yet? sorry!

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 7:57 pm

Listing #: 265882494 -Software-/fast install.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 8:15 pm

I use UBCD. For everything after Hirens. (both of what? )

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 8:18 pm

I'd still give it a try with recoverjpeg, it might be able to find a few of the photos. Hard lesson, keep the important stuff backed up. And if windows is having issues (even if it won't boot at all! ) you can use a live Linux CD to get access to the data and make a backup BEFORE you try to fix windows, because sometimes it'll hose your data even if it says it won't.

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 8:21 pm

Yeah thanks heaps, appreciated anyways. I did have a backup but the virus spread to it and the drive wont be recognised by windows on any computer. Im stuffed!

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 8:24 pm

Try the backup under ubuntu?

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 8:25 pm

will do now. thanks.

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 8:28 pm

im stupid man, i cant see it

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 8:44 pm

ok found out you need to install linux and not run it off cd so you can install backup to be able to use it. none comes with it

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 9:01 pm

Sorry, I meant look at the backup drive under Ubuntu (live cd) and see if it can see any partitions that Windows can't recognise. .

geek_little_egypt, Jan 22, 9:05 pm

Yes, the live Ubuntu. Of course, I've neverinstalled Linux, run all off CD
& Nortons too, which I'd never install under torture ! Or fear of death
as in your case Hyuk Hyuk.

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 9:14 pm

You might find Google of some assistance
http://tinyurl.com/yjj83ok
2000000 hits

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 9:23 pm

http://tinyurl.com/ykr8nb4
Another 1, 250, 000

geek_deodar, Jan 22, 9:32 pm

OK i have tried everything my next lead is the program little egypt mentioned called recoverjpeg. tried it and it appeared as access denied. first time on the file i have had that. i understand i changed the privledges in admin under safe mode... weird. anyone familiar with that arena?

geek_brickplasterer, Jan 22, 9:50 pm