Vodafone Vodem data usage

My mother has just bought a vodafone vodem so she can check her emails whilst away. On the info leaflet, it states that the 10MB casual $1 data amount will be enough for 200 emails (which sounds correct), but when I connect the vodem, it chugged through 2MB without even opening a browser. I have turned off Windows Automatic Updates and the antivirus automatic updates. Is there a way to turn off all automatic processes using the internet? It's not going to be very cost effective if the vodem is constantly downloading and uploading.

geek_huggy5, Feb 23, 7:53 pm

There could be any number of things downloading in the background, Google, Apple, Sun and Adobe are the usual suspects (depending on what apps you have installed).

If you're unlucky it could be some type of malware on the system.

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 23, 7:58 pm

As above.

geek_johnf_456, Feb 23, 8:00 pm

Probably the easiest thing to do is download a Firewall and block everything except your email program or web browser (make sure to turn off auto updates in both)

geek_vtecintegra, Feb 23, 8:01 pm

Very expensive way to check email. Better off checking it on your mobile IMAP, at least you know you are only gong to get emails, none of this stupid windows or adobe updates

geek_mone, Feb 23, 9:21 pm