Simple adblock not working for me?

Can any one help there please? I have re-started my p. c, adblcoker FAQs don't seem to have the answers.

TIA

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 5, 10:18 pm

Do you mean adblock plus for firefox?

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 5, 10:34 pm

Switch to Adblock Plus.

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 5, 10:42 pm

Thanks r. g

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 5, 10:45 pm

r. g. nixon - if you are still about can you tell me if adblock works on IE? Thanks.

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 11:35 am

Don't use IE. Just don't. Choose Firefox or Google Chrome instead (I favour Chrome most of the time).

geek_rua69, Mar 6, 11:40 am

Or Opera if you like to roll that way.

geek_rua69, Mar 6, 11:41 am

IE is all I know, what's wrong with it bud? :)

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 11:54 am

didn't we *suggest firefox in another of your threads already?

* "a suggestion is not a recommendation"

geek_0800xford, Mar 6, 11:56 am

Ahh not that I re-call... What's your point?

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 12:18 pm

Simple Adblock works for me ok on IE 8.

geek_brymak, Mar 6, 12:32 pm

It works for me on the PC but its not working on the Laptop shammit, I wonder why? ?

Hopefully someone on to it enough will come and read this and advise me soon :)

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 12:37 pm

Choose a better web browser:
Web Browser Grand Prix - http://is. gd/9MC9s

geek_r.g.nixon, Mar 6, 1:05 pm

ha ha nice

geek_0800xford, Mar 6, 1:12 pm

Thanks again nixon - that was a good read... or I should say skim... This was the best of it all imo.

"This brings our Web Browser Grand Prix to an end. Some of our findings weren't that shocking, such as Internet Explorer's failure to adhere to Web standards (Acid3). But there were also a ton of interesting notes along the way, like Opera's gluttony for RAM and Safari's strong performance versus much newer versions of the other browsers. I already knew that Firefox was beginning to feel slow, but I didn't know how bad it had become. Safari didn't live up to its boast of being "the world's fastest web browser. " Apple's product was beaten by Opera, and owned by Chrome. While Opera came close to living up to its claim of being "the fastest browser on Earth, " close just isn't good enough. Google Chrome is the real speed king. "

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 3:33 pm

saying things like that tend to repel rather than attract.

geek_0800xford, Mar 6, 3:40 pm

I thought I'd add the fact that this should only be relevant for those that choose speed as the primary factor in which to base their decision.

Not neccessarily the case for me personally, I am interested in ease of functionality, hence being a IE fan, and it's not because of who they are but rather what I know.

So at the risk of sounding challenging... can someone recommend a good ad blocker for IE please?

p. s... I've got Chrome, but it isn't my default, much to Google's disgust (LOL).

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 3:41 pm

It will repel the likes of people that aren't really here to help but to rule.

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 3:43 pm

i always used adblock-plus never a stupid addever since and i useicewiesel-firefox
Mozilla/5. 0 (X11; U; Linux i686; de-AT; rv:1. 9. 0. 18) Gecko/2010021720 Iceweasel/3. 0. 6 (Debian-3. 0. 6-3)

geek_intrade, Mar 6, 3:49 pm

Consider a hosts file, such as this one: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Follow the instructions and you should be sweet. You'll have to modify it a little if you like watching TVNZ on demand (remove ad. doubleclick. au and ad. doubleclick.nz, if my memory is correct.

geek_rua69, Mar 6, 3:50 pm

Okay thanks you two :)Rua, I will go and check out your link now cheers! !

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 3:52 pm

Oh dear, this doesn't look like it's going to be easy job shammit... might tackle it later, too hot in the day for me to dedicate my energy to it, especially after reading nixon's link post, but this is well needed indeed.

Loving the screen shots, but I am at the moment learning Windows 7 and MO 2010, was on the old stuff for years and now I am finally catching up with the programme.

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 4:06 pm

The more I read stuff from Tom's Hardware, the less I like them. Their tests and the conclusions they draw from them are BS.
Such as the RAM test. It doesn't matter how many megabytes a browser uses out of their test machine's 4GB. What matters is how it uses that memory. A low footprint application with memory leaks will end up using more resources than a bloated one that doesn't, and an application that is too frugal with memory will have performance issues that a memory hog doesn't.

Even the premise on the first page is misleading: IEs positioning in the market has nothing to do with performance, for or against. And Homeland Security and McAfee didn't advise people to switch so their pages would load faster.

geek_cybertao, Mar 6, 4:22 pm

herd of that?
http://www.ie7pro.com/ad-blocker.html

geek_zak410, Mar 6, 4:35 pm

Yep thats not working either unfortunately...

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 7:34 pm

ask for advice, get advice, ignore advice.
get an error, don't tell us what it is, get no help, complain...

geek_0800xford, Mar 6, 7:41 pm

*wonders why the repellent isn't working

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 7:59 pm

Can anyone out there tell me why these blockers aren't working for me please? I ran McAfee and no bad things were detected? Help please, these ads are annoying.

Thanks.

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 9:55 pm

Oh no ignore me, finally got it working with the adblocker! ! ! YAYE, whoopie, wahoo :)

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 10:02 pm

rg is correct, adblock never worked for me either. Firefox has it's own
add on blocker(& a good one), nothing works properly in IE, even IE.

geek_deodar, Mar 6, 10:37 pm

Everyone has been advised to dump IE in Europe, but NZ govt& cops
use it & wonder why their internet leaks & is hacked by Chinese! There
are over 100 alternatives, obviously some will be better! Thats a no-
brainer.

geek_deodar, Mar 6, 10:42 pm

OMG - its not working any more... grrr, time for change... after all that. Chrome here I come!

geek_lukn4bargans, Mar 6, 11:31 pm

A poor adblocking extension - well, last time I tried it it was poor - is available for Chrome (AdThwart). A hosts file is much more effective and blocks ads in all browsers. The only real downside is that you have to update it yourself from time to time.

geek_rua69, Mar 6, 11:40 pm

im running the WIN7 64BIT IE8.... i have BOTH ie & chrome browsers!

FYI, "SIMPLE~AD Block" IS NOT WORKING ON NEITHER ONE OF THEM!

> NEXT IDEA...........

geek_oldsmoker71, Nov 29, 1:01 pm