Changing from 32bit to 64 bit OS

I bought a Toshiba laptop running 32 bit Vista with 4GB RAM. It came with a free Windows 7 upgrade offer. ($35 shipping from Aust. ) I have now received a fully licensedWindows 7 Home Premium OS dvd from Toshiba. I have been told that 4GB of RAM or highercan only be fully utilised with a 64bit OS. If I upgrade Vista to Windows 7 is it possible to change to 64bit.

geek_245tee, Mar 11, 9:55 pm

is the disc a 64bit version?

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 11, 9:59 pm

"toshiba laptop" they make a few, care to be specific?

geek_0800xford, Mar 11, 10:01 pm

Windows 7 disc contains both 32bit and 64 bit versions. Toshiba Satellite L500 laptop Pentium dual core T4300 2. 1GHZ 4GB DDR2 RAM, 320 GB HDD, 512mb ATI Graphics card

geek_245tee, Mar 11, 10:23 pm

Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or from a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to a 32-bit version of Windows?

You can use the Upgrade option during Windows 7 installation, which preserves your files, settings, and programs, only if you're currently running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista and you want to upgrade to the 32-bit version of Windows 7. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you can only perform an upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows 7. For more information, go to Upgrading to Windows 7: frequently asked questions on the Windows website.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and choose the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. For more information about performing a custom installation, see Installing and reinstalling Windows 7.

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 11, 10:32 pm

Yeah. You will need to do a clean install. So back up all data then chuck the 64bit DVD in and restart your computer and it should boot it from the drive. If not change the BIOS order so it does boot from the CD. When you select what harddrive/partition to install it on its a good idea to format them and wipe it all.

geek_nick91111, Mar 11, 11:05 pm

Hi Thanks for that. I think I had the option of 32b or 64b when I used the laptop for the first time. Is it correct that the 32bit OS cannot fully utilise large RAM. I wonder why the 64bit version of the OS is not recommended by the manufacturer when there is large RAM pre-installed.

geek_245tee, Mar 11, 11:49 pm

yes its true 32bit doesn't utiliseram over 3gig. .

The reason they don't recommend it is to cover there buts in case some users existing 32bit software wont work...

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 12, 12:00 am

Thanks again. I made recovery disks for the laptop when I first used it - prompted by the Toshiba set up. Do I need to do a more recent/up to date recovery disk? I will read up on Upgrading to Windows 7 and probably do it on the weekend.

geek_245tee, Mar 12, 12:39 am

The recovery discs are fixed, they don't alter or update. .
They are just an image of the factory image that came with your laptop incase the recovery partition gets corrupted or your hard drive dies...

geek_blenheim-trader, Mar 12, 12:44 am