Adsl filters

Adsl filters even if there is nothing plugged into the jack - do you still need an adsl filter in it? Wee debate going on here so whom is right? Thanks guys.

geek_stever68, May 4, 12:28 pm

If there is NOTHING plugged into the phone jack... Then you DONT need a filter.

geek_phil_boy, May 4, 12:29 pm

.... think about it.. if there is nothing plugged in then there is nothing to filter

geek_charles.j, May 4, 12:31 pm

Yes I reckon that but the other is claiming different - there is a hell of a burr on the phone line - so one of them must have a crossed wire or something.

geek_stever68, May 4, 12:35 pm

.... you need a filter any everything plugged in that isn't an adsl device right?

geek_0800xford, May 4, 12:37 pm

Yep

geek_stever68, May 4, 12:38 pm

If there is a noise on one of them... That filter may be stuffed. Try different filters on the one you suspect to be broken and see what the result is.

geek_phil_boy, May 4, 12:39 pm

So you've not got anything other than a phone connected...is it on another jackpoint or the same?...what's the phone make/model? I had problems when first connecting to BB when we used a cordless panasonic phone, changed to uniden.

geek_soodanim, May 4, 12:41 pm

.... we had that here. Turns out the house is wired differently to normal houses lol. so they sky dude came in.. wired it up wrong and presto we have dodgey phones and internet for 3 months.

geek_charles.j, May 4, 12:48 pm

.... just like on the movies, sweet!

geek_0800xford, May 4, 12:49 pm

Now that may well be an idea sky install etc - because our phone system has been strange since even before broadband - but worse after a noodle head did an alarm system installation. I had been struggling with our old phones - but last weeks bought new ones - can hear people properly now as well as the burr - used to just sound like they were to far away from their phone & I was always saying pardon. Might be time to get a phone techy in - owww more money.

geek_stever68, May 4, 5:04 pm

If you have been 1 of the few ppl brainy enough To still be paying line maintainance, you can get Telecom to rewire your house for free.

geek_mrfxit, May 4, 7:56 pm