Guys...Should i have partitioned a 500GB HD before

i installed windows 7? Should i do a fresh install if "yes"

geek_jrad4, Mar 22, 9:40 pm

Well if you want. Handy for installing games / Pics etc (on the other partition) and keep windows partition clean. fresh install yes

geek_swivel, Mar 22, 9:42 pm

Whats the right size partition to install windows into?

geek_jrad4, Mar 22, 9:44 pm

Set it to 40 GB, You'll still have heaps of space left over, In that partion and for the rest of the files and things you decide ta pile your computer of.

geek_jizy1, Mar 22, 9:47 pm

Awesome, cheers for that :-)

geek_jrad4, Mar 22, 9:48 pm

Fresh install? try shrinking the partition first. Use "shrink querymax" in Diskpart from the command prompt to see how much it'll shrink by. And yeah definitely the right idea partitioning.

geek_ross1970, Mar 22, 10:12 pm

You don't HAVE to make partitions. It's purely for personal preference and to make storage a bit easier. Not worth reinstalling if you forgot to do it.

geek_suicidemonkey, Mar 22, 10:17 pm

Easeus Partition Manager will do it on the fly without having to reinstall. Make as many partition as you want. Keep win7 intact.

geek_hammerman1, Mar 22, 10:53 pm

and if you dont want to wait forever for it to defrag

geek_seriouslycgi, Mar 23, 10:35 am

i told him he should be using linux
http://geekblog. oneandoneis2.org/index. php/2006/08/17/why_do
esn_t_linux_need_defragmenting

geek_0800xford, Mar 23, 10:40 am

It won't take long unless the disk is very close to full even with big disks with just a single partition.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 23, 10:49 am

what would the time difference be with say a 40 gb partition and a 500gb partition if it were 50% full?

geek_seriouslycgi, Mar 23, 11:04 am

Depends on how fragmented the disk is. If you let it get out of control then yeah it will take a while. If you leave Windows on its defaults (which is to run every week) then its moot.

Besides you'd presumably still need to defragment the larger partition other programs are installed to anyway, especially true for games that tend to use a few large files.

geek_vtecintegra, Mar 23, 11:10 am

*giggles*

geek_seriouslycgi, Mar 23, 11:13 am