3G and 3G Extended....

rahto, Apr 21, 6:09am
I'm looking on the Vodafone coverage map and where I live now, I can get 3G Extended coverage (900MHz), but in the middle of town, I CAN'T get it, but there is 3G coverage though (2100MHz). . If I buy (take for example an iPhone), and it's on the 900MHz setting, does it automatically flick over to 2100MHz frequency or what? It says I could only get 25% signal (on the coverage map), and apparently that percentage MAY NOT be able to send text messages.

ladeda, Apr 21, 6:17am
I'm in a low signal area where it is near impossible to have a conversation via mobile but texts can be sent and recieved if the phone is in particular spots, with only one bar signal. Surprisingly, I can get 3G internet coverage too. Best idea is to place the phone in best spot (on a certain window sill for me) and send texts or get internet on your bluetooth enabled PC via Nokia PC Suite (only if you have a Nokia phone and Vodafone).

Don't know about the different 3Gs or different frequencies. My mobile works at most places in my extensive travels - from out at sea (Nelson) to mid-city Auckland

vtecintegra, Apr 21, 6:19am
Switching between the frequencies happens automatically there isn't a setting as such. The only gothca is if the phone can only do one or other of the frequencies. The iPhone 3G can do both so you'll be fine.

rahto, Apr 21, 6:27am
OK thanks, yeah, may be 97% of coverage, and unfortunately, it still counts as coverage if you can only just send a text in some places. Hmm, may put off switching to Vodafone for quite a while longer. 2 Degrees may be an option, but looks pretty expensive for texting.

jcmp21, Apr 21, 6:29am
Which leads me to a question. Is there any good cell boosters for iphones? , Ive seen cell boosters online but with so many different carriers and types its quite hard to qork out.

vtecintegra, Apr 21, 6:31am
The problem is the iPhone does not support 900MHz UTMS. You will still have a regular 2G signal, but will not have 3G outside the main coverage area.

If you're dead set on an iPhone consider the Telecom network.

rahto, Apr 21, 6:34am
I was actually thinking about an HTC Desire or Nexus One, and those phones aren't available on the XT network, although I hear the Desire is coming out in a different version to suit the frequency XT uses.

malachiman, Apr 21, 6:35am
Yep, here in Dunedin, often my iPhone is switched to Edge, which is horrible for data, its very patchy here and some places I get neither 3g or edge, moving to XT soon.

ladeda, Apr 21, 6:42am
Rahto, according to the coverage map, I have no 3G where I live - but I have! ! !

I have cover where Telecom doesn't in many areas - like here (up a valley in Nelson), or at French Pass where I often holiday, or out in my boat, etc. I recommend Vodafone and Nokia.

rahto, Apr 21, 6:47am
Hrm yeah... It's a real shame you can't borrow an iPhone (closest thing to Nexus One) for an hour or so to see if it works where you live... If I could do that, and I had coverage, I would definately get it.

ladeda, Apr 21, 6:49am
So there are people out there actively wanting to be on the XT network? ? ? ? ? ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !

rahto, Apr 21, 6:50am
1) Because there is no coverage with other providers
2) Most of my contacts are on Telecom.

ladeda, Apr 21, 6:54am
But you said in #1 that you have extended 3G coverage with Vodafone where you live?

vtecintegra, Apr 21, 6:55am
They also said they wanted an iPhone.

rahto, Apr 21, 6:57am
OK what I meant in the post just above, is that XT has BETTER coverage. Sorry.

ladeda, Apr 21, 7:02am
Not sure why you asked the question about Vodafone then... ... . .

rahto, Apr 21, 7:04am
Because I was essentially asking if it switches between 900MHz and 2100MHz, which I got an answer for. After, I was discussing my options.

ladeda, Apr 21, 7:06am
Seems like you have made up your mind. Good luck.

pyro_sniper2002, Apr 21, 8:00am
You can get mini broadband> cellphone AP's in the states, apprently vodafone was testing them here.

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)